Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations

Speaking about Dietary needs in a natural way

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old February 24, 2018, 09:32 AM
Opal

speedy-learner is on a distinguished road
Speaking about Dietary needs in a natural way

I am a beginner level Spanish learner and found this text which talks about dietary needs. I just wanted to check how natural sounding it is.

In particular, I am not sure about Son alérgicos al trigo, a su harina y al gluten. I thought a su means to their so I don't quite understand the sentence structure. Thanks for any help!

We are vegetarian
Somos vegetarianos

We don’t eat meat, cow, fish, horse or chicken or animal broth.
No comemos ningún tipo de carne: ternera, pescado, caballo, pollo u otros animales.

Does that contain meat? Has it been prepared in animal broth?
¿Este plato contiene carne? ¿Se ha preparado con caldo de animales?

They are allergic to wheat, wheat flour and gluten. They absolutely must not eat it. If they eat it by mistake, they will become ill.
Son alérgicos al trigo, a su harina y al gluten. Tienen absolutamente prohibido tomarlos. Si por error se los toman, se pondrán muy enfermos.

Do you have a gluten free, vegetarian burger? That is, with no gluten, meat, cow, fish, horse or chicken.
¿Tiene una hamburguesa vegetariana sin gluten? Quiero decir: sin gluten ni ningún tipo de carne, como vaca, pescado, caballo o pollo.

Does this Cheese have animal rennet?
¿Este queso contiene cuajo animal?

Suitable for a Celiac
apta para un Celíaco

They are Celiac
Son celíacos

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 24, 2018, 11:20 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
A couple of problems exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy-learner View Post
We don’t eat meat, cow, fish, horse or chicken or animal broth.
No comemos ningún tipo de carne: ternera, pescado, caballo, pollo u otros animales.
(The translation is natural sounding, but differs in some regards from the English.)

They are allergic to wheat, wheat flour and gluten. They absolutely must not eat it. If they eat it by mistake, they will become ill.
Son alérgicos al trigo, a su harina y al gluten. Tienen absolutamente prohibido tomarlos. Si por error se los toman, se pondrán muy enfermos.
(The sentence I highlighted in red is not a translation of the English sentence, which makes use of a direct object pronoun in the singular form where a plural form is required. Even though the Spanish translation uses the correct form of the pronoun, I would rather see a translation along the lines of 'no deberse comerlos en absoluto'. By the way, the same English pronoun in question appears in the next sentence and, once again, the Spanish version contains the correct form.)

Suitable for a Celiac
apta para un Celíaco
(This is usually rendered 'Apto para celíacos', which is a translation of 'Suitable for celiacs'. Note that the word 'apto' will change depending on the gender and number of the subject. Also note that title case is different in Spanish.)

They are Celiac
Son celíacos
(I would say 'celiacs' in the English version. That is the meaning of the Spanish translation. If the subject in question consists of only females, the word you used needs to be changed to reflect their gender.)

Last edited by Rusty; February 24, 2018 at 12:16 PM.
Old February 25, 2018, 03:51 AM
Opal

speedy-learner is on a distinguished road
Thank you. Is it just me, or was there a post explaining the a su harina y al gluten that was here before but has now disappeared. Is Son alérgicos al trigo, a su harina y al gluten. a natural way of saying They are allergic to wheat, wheat flour and gluten.
Old February 25, 2018, 07:59 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
My deleted post was answering only your question, but I saw that there were problems with some of the other sentences and posted another. Sorry about forgetting to include the original answer you saw.

That sentence is natural and well-written.
The phrase 'a su' can mean 'to its' as well as 'to their'. The pronoun 'su' is used to represent singular and plural nouns.
Old May 14, 2018, 10:30 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English
mwtzzz is on a distinguished road
Broth is "caldo" so if you are really saying that you don't eat animal broth (as opposed to animal meat), then you would say something like "No comemos ningun caldo hecho de carne/ caldo que contiene algo de carne".

Tags
celiac, gluten, trigo

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: