Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Between Spanish and English which language is more sofisticado o superior?

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Closed Thread

Old February 23, 2013, 03:05 AM
Ruby

Native Language: American English
Emberblaque is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premium View Post
The conjugation is a pain, though.
The only language I've seriously studied with declension of nouns is Latin, but from what I understand, German has four declensions. Any particular reason conjugation seems more difficult to you than declension? Both seem like complicated sides of the same coin to me (the proverbial coin of inflection, if you will), as a native English speaker, since we indicate case with word order, and indicate person and number with pronouns, so there are considerably less conjugations to remember. Please excuse me if this seems like a tangential question, I've just always wanted to ask a native speaker of German.

Last edited by Emberblaque; February 23, 2013 at 03:08 AM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 23, 2013, 05:29 AM
Pearl

Native Language: German, Serbian & Albanian
Premium is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emberblaque View Post
The only language I've seriously studied with declension of nouns is Latin, but from what I understand, German has four declensions. Any particular reason conjugation seems more difficult to you than declension? Both seem like complicated sides of the same coin to me (the proverbial coin of inflection, if you will), as a native English speaker, since we indicate case with word order, and indicate person and number with pronouns, so there are considerably less conjugations to remember. Please excuse me if this seems like a tangential question, I've just always wanted to ask a native speaker of German.
I studied Latin for four years, and it's still important to me as i'm a medical student.
This is right, the German language has 4 cases; nominative, accusative, dative, and genitive. It also contains three grammatical genders which is just systemless. There's no rule when to use "der, die o. das". If you want to learn German, you have to learn the gender to each noun.
I also speak Serbian, which has 7 cases. The Finnish language has 15 cases.
I wouldn't say conjugation is harder than declension. We didn't even learn the cases in school properly, only in elementary school for like 2 weeks. Most immigrants struggle with the definite and indefinite genders. You get used to the cases after a while.

English was the first foreign language i learned, the conjugation was more than easy. Many native-German-speakers complain, that the English language has too many tenses, which is true compared to German.
Many people would say that Russian would be difficult. I didn't study Russian, but i could follow a conversation as it's very similar to Serbian.

Last edited by Premium; February 23, 2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:19 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Italian
wayfarer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I totally agree with the phonetic, but i think French is harder than English.
You are right. I have done some researches and have found out that French, also, hasn't an exact correspondence between letters and sounds as the other romance languages. I think it also has a bigger number of sounds than Italian and Spanish.
Old February 25, 2013, 01:22 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I studied Latin for four years, and it's still important to me as i'm a medical student.
This is right, the German language has 4 cases; nominative, accusative, dative, and genitive. It also contains three grammatical genders which is just systemless. There's no rule when to use "der, die o. das". If you want to learn German, you have to learn the gender to each noun.
I also speak Serbian, which has 7 cases. The Finnish language has 15 cases.
I wouldn't say conjugation is harder than declension. We didn't even learn the cases in school properly, only in elementary school for like 2 weeks. Most immigrants struggle with the definite and indefinite genders. You get used to the cases after a while.

English was the first foreign language i learned, the conjugation was more than easy. Many native-German-speakers complain, that the English language has too many tenses, which is true compared to German.
Many people would say that Russian would be difficult. I didn't study Russian, but i could follow a conversation as it's very similar to Serbian.
Id imperfectum manet dum confectum erit
Old February 25, 2013, 10:44 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villa View Post
Id imperfectum manet dum confectum erit

A bit "non-sequitur"... isn't it?
('Until it is finished, it remains incomplete'.)

But so are the pirates in the Asterix and Obelix "scriptures"!

Vanitas vanitatum et omnia vanitas...
Old March 14, 2013, 07:40 PM
Opal

Sarita08 is on a distinguished road
No existe un idioma superior. Esa es una ilusión de nacionalistas y racistas.
Old March 27, 2013, 11:48 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarita08 View Post
No existe un idioma superior. Esa es una ilusión de nacionalistas y racistas.
Muy interesante y verdadero. Estoy de acuerdo contigo Sarita.

Es interesante observar que si hablas con muchos de los estadounidenses/americanos te dirán que el inglés es el idioma superior. Por lo tanto los estadounidenses/americanos comproban tu teoría.
En otras palabras, como la mayoría de nosotros sabemos los estadounidenses/americanos tienen la fama de ser etnocéntrica y no les gusta aprender lenguas extranjeras. Todo porque piensan que el inglés es un idioma superior. Y como tu dices Sarita no existe un idioma superior. Esa es una ilusión de nacionalistas y racistas.

Last edited by Villa; March 27, 2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old June 07, 2013, 04:13 AM
Opal

Native Language: American English
ElPecas is on a distinguished road
Para mí, los dos idiomas son diferentes, no hay que compararlos o es decir ordenarlos. Alguien preferiría uno, pero no es decir que ese es el idioma superior. Son diferentes, pero completos y buenos en sí mismos. Sin embargo, el vocabulario inglés tiene la mayoría palabras, lo que teóricamente le hace poder expresarse mejor...pero nadie necesita el completo diccionario.

Por favor, no vaciles corregirme si hay errores con mi español.
Old June 08, 2013, 01:09 PM
Emerald

Liquinn3 is on a distinguished road
La mayoría de las palabras sofisticadas en inglés o palabras en inglés de un nivel más alto provienen del Latin. Por lo tanto, ya que el español es un lenguaje basado en latin es un lenguaje más sofisticado que el inglés. Así que el español es el idioma superior al ingles.

Most sophisticated English words or English words on a higher level come from Latin. Therefore since Spanish is a Latin based language it is a more sophisticated language than English is. Therefore Spanish is the superior language between English and Spanish.

Last edited by Liquinn3; June 08, 2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old June 08, 2013, 01:29 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquinn3 View Post
Most sophisticated English words or English words on a higher level come from Latin. Therefore since Spanish is a Latin based language it is a more sophisticated language than English is. Therefore Spanish is the superior language between English and Spanish.
This is a good example of the logical fallacy known as a non-sequitur. Most sophisticated English words or English words on a higher level come from Latin. That does not mean that Latin is per se a more sophisticated language, just that the sophisticated concepts were introduced by literate people who knew some Latin. (By the way, that is in a period when literate meant a working knowledge of Greek and Latin. Semi-literate meant only Latin.)

Spanish is a language based on Vulgar Latin, not Classical Latin. Therefore English with its imported classical Latin and Greek is far superior to Spanish based on a primitive Latin.

That argument is better than yours, although both are complete nonsense.
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: