Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Good Spanish TV Shows

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old November 07, 2011, 06:35 PM
Opal

SaltSlasher is on a distinguished road
I was talking about watching it with English Language and Spanish Subtitles.

Doing the opposite with Spanish Language and English subtitles, can be a problem.

Cause just when i watch it in English/Spanish, I notice that a lot of the Spanish translations are never that specific, and are sometimes are basic translation so that the spanish speaker just knows what is going on and vice versa with english translations.

To watch a movie in Spanish/Spanish, then i would need to watch it in English/Spanish or English/English first, so i can know what it is going on and remember the dialogue. That is the process i am getting to, so i can watch these movies in full Spanish.

I just noticed that Spanish made films have really fast at dialogue, so even reading it is hard. Which is why i have picked American made Comedys like Clerks, cause they are filled with regular dialogue that i would use.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 07, 2011, 07:01 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltSlasher View Post
I was talking about watching it with English Language and Spanish Subtitles.

Doing the opposite with Spanish Language and English subtitles, can be a problem.

Cause just when i watch it in English/Spanish, I notice that a lot of the Spanish translations are never that specific, and are sometimes are basic translation so that the spanish speaker just knows what is going on and vice versa with english translations.

To watch a movie in Spanish/Spanish, then i would need to watch it in English/Spanish or English/English first, so i can know what it is going on and remember the dialogue. That is the process i am getting to, so i can watch these movies in full Spanish.

I just noticed that Spanish made films have really fast at dialogue, so even reading it is hard. Which is why i have picked American made Comedys like Clerks, cause they are filled with regular dialogue that i would use.
Same thing happens the other way around..

Movies are meant to be watched and heard, never read, unless you are deaf.

But, it is just a tip.

Last edited by Rusty; November 07, 2011 at 08:15 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old November 07, 2011, 08:38 PM
Opal

I use it more as a way to get use to the language, not to use as my standard text.

The books arr for my grammar learning. But like you said reading something doesn't always work.

So the movies in Spanish/English are my way of mimicing the language, and practice talking.

English/Spanish movies are not exactly the best now that i think about it.

Spanish/English serves a purpose, since you can listen to solid Spanish and read it to understand everything.

I am at a point where i can read a sentence, and understand half of what they are saying. Almost like how i read Math, i still need to figure things.

That Spanish by Associations, Instant Spanish Vocabulary, 24hrs to learn Spanish, and The art of Verbs, have been increasing my dictionary of spanish words.
The movies are a way to see it in action.

Which is why i want to find a tv channel which i like, like HBO Spanish, something i can watch to pretend i am in a room with spanish speakers.
Old November 08, 2011, 10:02 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltSlasher View Post
I have been getting better at understanding what i am reading.

My understanding when people talk is a little different. I am slowly getting better but i need to know the words before hand, so when i hear them i know what they mean.

I have been getting into Spanish Rap Music and Spanish Horror Movies, because they are things i would watch/listen to either way.

I was just wondering if there is any Spanish TV shows that are any good? Or if you know of any videos, music, etc that is good for practicing with? Either Educational or Entertainment! Just the exposure has gotten me quite far in such a short time of learning.

Most the movies i buy usually comes with Spanish subs, and some have Spanish Dubs.

Are you interested in the history or the culture, and also you could to be interested in to music,

I can recommending you some TV Shows placed here in my country where you can get it the knowledge needed for your learning, there are a software I don't know if you get it but it can works for you regarding the your basic needed.

Then you can download planetfools, you can look it in the internet, that software has a lot of TV Shows on live in the same time than Mexican has it.

Thereby you will can watch the movie and the opera soap in an instant and they don't have subtitles and either they are dubs.

I hope that can help you.
Old November 08, 2011, 02:48 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Cheri is on a distinguished road
I'm enjoying watching some of my favorite shows and movies dubbed in Spanish. When you already know some of the dialog, it's fun to follow along.

I've tried this with and without the Spanish subtitles turned on, and I find that I get a good experience both ways. With subtitles helps me with my vocabulary, and without subtitles improves my comprehension.

I'm new to Spanish, so my comprehension is still very limited.
Old November 11, 2011, 09:52 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri View Post
I'm enjoying watching some of my favorite shows and movies dubbed in Spanish. When you already know some of the dialog, it's fun to follow along.

I've tried this with and without the Spanish subtitles turned on, and I find that I get a good experience both ways. With subtitles helps me with my vocabulary, and without subtitles improves my comprehension.

I'm new to Spanish, so my comprehension is still very limited.
Exactly the dubs are very useful when you are learning the language in specially when you have doubt about the some words spoken in Spanish, also that is my case already I try to understand the words without the dubs and without the subtitles, then you must to try understand them without the subtitles and solely hearing them with only the dubs, if the movies are dubbed are enhanced that you can reach with the pass of the time.

Sincerely yours.
Old November 14, 2011, 01:13 PM
Opal

I am really close to reading Spanish, a lot farther from listening to it.

Double sided books have been fun, or anything that is in Spanish and has English also.

I have noticed that listening to it in both Spanish/Spanish has been great.
Old January 03, 2012, 11:07 PM
Opal

Native Language: Ingles
kokopellime is on a distinguished road
I saw another post on the forum that referred to a study where viewers (Dutch) watching a foreign language (English) film, subtitled in the target language (English) learned more in clarifying what was spoken against the on screen written dialogue. This was in contrast to a film viewed with subtitles in their native tongue. The viewers might not know the translation but they get the rhythm of the language and can check the subtitles to clarify what was said in the target language if not clearly heard.
Old January 09, 2012, 10:48 PM
Opal

I have tried that and i like it. But i found that it took me awhile till i was sufficent enough to at least understand 25-50% of what is being said.

I am at a point where, i just don't know one or two words usually nouns and verbs.

Its hard to understand everything being said, but as a learner I am more use to reading spanish than hearing it, but I won't get use to it until i start doing it more.

I have found that listening to real Spanish speakers is the best/fastest way to pick up on the language, especially from shows like 12 Corozones or some other cool tv shows on the spanish channels!
Old January 09, 2012, 11:33 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Or just watch a movie.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: