Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Comprehending Speech

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old January 29, 2010, 12:24 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perikles View Post
Any idiot could have told them that.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:27 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Español y Panocho!
CarmenCarmona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1) If you are less than 6 months old, don't worry about it.
In fact, the language acquisition device starts working at the age of 2 and starts loosing efectiveness at the age of 6.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:32 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenCarmona View Post
In fact, the language acquisition device starts working at the age of 2 and starts loosing efectiveness at the age of 6.
I do not agree, when I was 1 I could speak, that's what my father said (I guess I needed the words because I needed to think ). I still remember my thoughts when I was 2 (and I used words to think).
Old January 29, 2010, 12:35 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I believe that both first and second language acquisition are never completely accomplished... at least in terms of vocabulary...
I think it depends on whom you are referring to. Some (English) people I know have a vocabulary of around 1000 words and absolutely no concept of another language nor of a development of vocabulary beyond the age of ten. This is probably quite normal. For the minority with, let's say broader horizons, I agree completely that vocabulary acquisition is never totally accomplished in any language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I do not agree, when I was 1 I could speak, that's what my father said (I guess I needed the words because I needed to think ). I still remember my thoughts when I was 2 (and I used words to think).
I agree - girls seem to start speaking much earlier than two years old. I guess they need the practice for later.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; January 29, 2010 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old January 29, 2010, 12:43 PM
Diamond

bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tengo 21 años y no recuerdo lo que estaba pensando cuando fui niño!!!

Tienes un gran regalo para recordar eso
Old January 29, 2010, 12:47 PM
Diamond

Quote:
I agree - girls seem to start speaking much earlier than two years old. I guess they need the practice for later.
No, we don't need practice, but time to say all the things we need to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Tengo 21 años y no recuerdo lo que estaba pensando cuando fui niño!!!

Tienes un gran regalo para recordar eso
Bueno, pensaba tonterías, la verdad
Old January 29, 2010, 12:52 PM
Diamond

Quote:
No, we don't need practice, but time to say all the things we need to say.
So that is why women live much longer than men!
Old January 29, 2010, 12:52 PM
Ruby

Native Language: Español y Panocho!
CarmenCarmona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think it depends on whom you are referring to. Some (English) people I know have a vocabulary of around 1000 words and absolutely no concept of another language nor of a development of vocabulary beyond the age of ten. This is probably quite normal. For the minority with, let's say broader horizons, I agree completely that vocabulary acquisition is never totally accomplished in any language.
That's right!

And I believe that that makes me sad (this passive people you've mentioned!) because I love learning my language and the English one.

Quote:
It's just an orientative age, I suppose!

Quote:

I'll leave the whole commentary so that you understand the context, the parts in bold are related to your post:

‘who are smarter-boys or girls?’

This reading from Current Science explains the origins of certain abilites that are believed to be influenced by gender in terms of intelligence: Research reveals that, in general, boys are better at tasks in which the ability to solve problems is involved whereas girls outstand when implementing their memory and linguistic skills.
Little boys’ aggressive nature is mainly caused by their mothers’ influence. Their mothers instigate them to become independent while little girls are usually overprotected in a more ‘gentle and dependent’ way, as the article claims.
Moreover, as young boys are most influenced by their mothers, they end up having to investigate what they should be like in order to become a man. Therefore, when children start going to school, males are led to leave their gentleness aside by struggling to solve two main problems among others, which makes them more experienced in sorting them out: to find out ‘how to be a man’ and to try to get good marks at a linguistic/academic level.
On the contrary, females do not have real difficulties in achieving the latter because their ‘nerve development’ takes place before male’s and thus they take advantage when learning the mother tongue. Therefore, females do not have to worry about solving any misadventures ‘at an early age’ and hence they lack the necessary aggressiveness to overcome subsequent obstacles, as it is stated in the reading.
In conclusion, the fact that boys are more likely to develop certain abilities than girls and viceversa stems from the lack of an equal education on the part of their parents and, as a last instance, society . Thus this prevents children from reaching a happy medium when it comes to developing their innate abilities, which does not mean that they cannot do so in the future.

Do you guys think this is the cruel reality?!

Quote:
So that is why women live much longer than men!
And still we will die unsatisfied!

Sorry i'm making a mess of everything!!!

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; January 29, 2010 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old January 29, 2010, 01:40 PM
Diamond

Quote:
And still we will die unsatisfied!

Quote:
In conclusion, the fact that boys are more likely to develop certain abilities than girls and viceversa stems from the lack of an equal education on the part of their parents and, as a last instance, society .
Do you guys think this is the cruel reality?!
To me, this is without doubt an oversimplification. Genetic differences are discounted. Nature and nurture play significant parts. We might be going a little off-topic...

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; January 29, 2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old January 29, 2010, 06:04 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Carmen & Perikles: sorry to interrupt the conversation, but in order to avoid confusion, forum rules ask users to avoid posting two or more messages in a row. This can be avoided by editing your last post if you forgot to add something, or by using the tool "Multi-Quote": click "Multi-Quote" on each message you want to quote and then "Quote" on the last one.

If you need help with the forum tools, you can ask moderators or take a look at the Help/FAQ section.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: