Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > The Tomísimo Lounge > General Chat

What's the problem with the film-TV industry in the United States and Spanish?

Talk about anything here, just keep it clean.

Old May 24, 2016, 11:40 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road

I am sick of, year after year, hearing and reading outrageous instances of pig-Spanish in movies and tv programs, even by Spanish-speaking actors, what seem to be norm and not the exception. What's the problem with them? Don't they have any Spanish speaking person to ask what to say or write? I'm aware they are hard to find in Southern California .

And I'm not talking about simple misspellings, like the "aeropueto" used in the Benny Hill sketch from the seventies. It was just a misspelling, in the UK and during pre-Internet ages.

I've just watched la gota que derramó el vaso. In the opening of The Answer Man, the following press comments about a book, "this book will either be a life-changing experience or it'll drive you nuts with its new-agey tone" is shown in Spanish, as part of the international success of the book, as "Este libro será una experiencia vida-cambiante, o it' impulsión de ll usted nuts con su nuevo-agey tono".

I am not talking of questionable distortions of uses to make a plot or clumsiness on part of the writers, like the episode of Law & Order where an Argentine woman is caught calling gronchos some kind of people when in fact the actress could be described as a groncha herself, or like the episode of White Collar where a woman just arrived from Argentina is telling "this temperature is nothing compared to what I was experiencing yesterday" in a conversation taking place during an extremely hot summer day in New York.

I'm talking of short phrases and dialogues that have nothing to do with the plot and that are very easy to get right. It just has to be both laziness and mostly cultural contempt what causes that, me thinks.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 24, 2016, 02:46 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Es verdad que se hace una chapuza del español en EEUU a pesar de que hay tantos hispanoparlantes. Mi teoría es que los hispanos que ganan éxito dominan el ingles y el español se pone segundario. Los niños hablan inglés entre sus amigos. El españpl es el idioma hablado en la casa. Porque no tiene la formalidad de la cultura que se encuentra en puntos sur de la frontera, el idioma pierde su poder. No obstante el castellano que oigo en Univision y Telemudo suena bien hablado. La fuerza cultural del pais es anglo
Old May 25, 2016, 01:02 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Yet, it seems nobody would think that making things right it is worth the slightest effort ...
Old May 25, 2016, 02:38 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Yes. It really rings false in TV dramas, You see similar things in newspapers from Spain, and how they almost purposely misspell English words.
Old August 20, 2016, 02:32 AM
Ruby

Native Language: English, Russian, Hebrew
Valeria is on a distinguished road
Tambien ocurre con idiomas diferentes. Por ejemplo, cuando actores de Hollywood necesitan hablar en ruso, ellos siempre pronuncian mal. Siempre suena mal. (Y los personajes que ellos actuan son generalmente hablantes nativos de ruso). Desque que yo se la idioma ruso, siempre me río cuando oigo un americano que no sabe ruso trata actuar en ruso. Suena tan mal y divertido!

Creo que generalmente Hollywood no importa que piensa la genta que sabe idiomas diferentes, por que ma mayoria de la genta nunca sabrá cuando una persona habla
incorrectamente en un idioma extranjero.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: