Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Un ensayo: "Una colega y galletas!"

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old May 14, 2010, 09:15 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
So, I apparently don't know enough about Spanish linking words to have any idea what word might have a "slight contradiction" like you recommend. I thought that "pues" was roughly like "well" in English, and that word would work perfectly in English. I have no idea there.......
How about "pero"?

Quote:
I also don't understand how both of these can be correct: "Ya me había despertado" / "Ya estaba despierta". I thought that it had to be "despertarse". How can the second be correct without the pronoun? And my dictionary says that "despertarse" has two participles. How do I know which one to use?
Going through rules for perfect tenses is too long for me and I think your books will explain much better.

Ya me había despertado -> despertarse
"Despierto(a)" is an adjective, not a conjugated verb.

Quote:
Finally, I have absolutely NO idea what to use in lieu of "querer" or "preguntar" in that sentence: "Ella me ???? tomar su primera clase si llegó llegaba tarde al trabajo." It wouldn't be "pedir", would it?
Why not? Read the definition in the dictionary.

Quote:
I think this is proof that I made a good decision to specialize in mathematics...................................
Well, here's a chance to apply what you know in mathematics: the easy way to do maths is learning by heart a bunch of formulas, but that's not knowledge. Knowing where the formulas come from is something else, and that demands tough work.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old May 14, 2010, 09:27 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English (USA)
tacuba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ack!
Finally, I have absolutely NO idea what to use in lieu of "querer" or "preguntar" in that sentence: "Ella me ???? tomar su primera clase si llegó tarde al trabajo." It wouldn't be "pedir", would it?

Again, I'm really sorry. I think this is proof that I made a good decision to specialize in mathematics...................................
You're doing fine. Look up the definitions of "preguntar" and "pedir" and you'll see which one works in this situation.

The bad news is, if you're going to use "pedir" or "querer" in this situation, with a change of subject in the second clause, there is no way of getting around the subjunctive. Also remember that in Spanish, unlike English, the second clause needs to be connected with a relative pronoun. In English we can say, "She wanted me to take her class....". You can't say it this way in Spanish.

Old May 14, 2010, 02:30 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
How about "pero"?
That occurred to me, but seemed too strong. I'll use it.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Well, here's a chance to apply what you know in mathematics: the easy way to do maths is learning by heart a bunch of formulas, but that's not knowledge. Knowing where the formulas come from is something else, and that demands tough work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacuba View Post
You're doing fine. Look up the definitions of "preguntar" and "pedir" and you'll see which one works in this situation.
Yeah, that's not quite how I do math. (I always have to be different, huh?) I don't ever use formulas or widely accepted practices or derivations of formulas. I just do stuff that makes sense to me in the bigger picture. I could never explain to other people how I do math ... when I teach, I teach what other people do, not what I would do.... it works better that way. But I feel like learning language stuff (even working on my own ongoing struggle with English grammar) has always felt like forcing a proverbial square peg into a round hole. It's like it doesn't belong in my brain ... and doesn't come naturally. I'm VERY willing to work hard ... I just get so frustrated with myself when the puzzle pieces don't seem to fit together for me......

Quote:
The bad news is, if you're going to use "pedir" or "querer" in this situation, with a change of subject in the second clause, there is no way of getting around the subjunctive. Also remember that in Spanish, unlike English, the second clause needs to be connected with a relative pronoun. In English we can say, "She wanted me to take her class....". You can't say it this way in Spanish.
So, Angelica wrote "llegaba". Was she doing that to assuage me? Or is it the less correct choice? Is there no way to get the idea across without using the subjunctive?
Old May 14, 2010, 02:34 PM
Diamond

How's this?

Mi primer ensayo de práctica. Tengo que escribir sobre una experiencia personal. (Estoy practicando para un curso que tomaré en Argentina este verano/invierno.) Tengo que incluir mi reacción emocional. Tengo que escribir al menos 125 palabras. ¡Las correcciones son bienvenidas!

Esta mañana tenía una cita con el médico. Era mi examen médico anual. Me tomé la mañana libre del trabajo. Generalmente, me despierto como a las cuatro y media y salgo a la escuela entre las seis y las seis y media. Esta mañana, dormí hasta tarde. Me desperté como a las seis menos cuarto. Me encantó dormir hasta tarde.

Como a las siete, estaba leyendo en la cama cuando sonó el teléfono. Era una de mis colegas. Ella había dormido hasta muy tarde y se fue preocupada. Ella me pidió tomar su primera clase. Ella sabía que será tarde a trabajo. (Generalmente, estoy libre durante el período de la primera clase.) Ella se sentía mal por llamarme temprano en mi mañana libre. Pero, no me importó. Ya me había despertado.

Luego, en la escuela, la vi antes de almorzar. ¡Ella me tenía una amable tarjeta y galletas hechas en casa! Ella es una buena cocinera. ¡Las galletas sabían muy pero muy bien!

Tengo dos colegas jóvenes, quienes son maestras excelentes y maravillosas personas. Me encanta trabajar con ellas. No se trata de las galletas. Se trata de observar a maestras jóvenes y talentosas, quienes también son buenas personas.

Las galletas fueron comidas en pocos momentos.....
Old May 14, 2010, 03:20 PM
Obsidiana

Quote:
Hmmm... I think you can.

She wanted me to take her class. = Quería que tomara su clase. -> And it's true, this can only be said with a subjunctive.

Quote:
So, Angelica wrote "llegaba". Was she doing that to assuage me? Or is it the less correct choice? Is there no way to get the idea across without using the subjunctive?
No, Tacuba is talking about "tomar":

Me pidió que tomara su clase = Me pidió tomar su clase (not my first choice, but not incorrect.)

Quote:
Esta mañana tenía una cita con el médico. Era mi examen médico anual. Me tomé la mañana libre del trabajo. Generalmente, me despierto como a las cuatro y media y salgo a la escuela entre las seis y las seis y media. Esta mañana, dormí hasta tarde. Me desperté como a las seis menos cuarto. Me encantó dormir hasta tarde.

Como a las siete, estaba leyendo en la cama, cuando sonó el teléfono. Era una de mis colegas. Ella había dormido hasta muy tarde y se fue preocupada. Ella me pidió tomar su primera clase. Ella sabía que será tarde a trabajo (can you work on the comment on this sentence in post #10?). (Generalmente, estoy libre durante el período de la primera clase.) Ella se sentía mal por llamarme temprano en mi mañana libre. Pero, (never comma after "pero") no me importó. Ya me había despertado.

Luego, en la escuela, la vi antes de almorzar. ¡Ella me tenía una amable tarjeta y galletas hechas en casa! Ella es una buena cocinera. ¡Las galletas sabían muy pero muy bien!

Tengo dos colegas jóvenes, quienes son maestras excelentes y maravillosas personas. Me encanta trabajar con ellas. No se trata de las galletas. Se trata de observar a maestras jóvenes y talentosas, quienes también son buenas personas.

Las galletas fueron comidas en pocos momentos..... (Again?)
Old May 14, 2010, 03:31 PM
Diamond

Ayy!! The final sentence. Ayy!! I need to start working ONLY from one computer on these...... Sheesh!! Sorry!

The sentence that has been making me pull my hair out. Did you not like that I changed it to two sentences? For now, I'd like to avoid the subjunctive because I haven't been formally taught to use it. I am creating so many bad habits that are going to need to be changed, I don't need to create any more.

How about this sentence?
Ella me pidió tomar su primera clase si llegó tarde al trabajo.
Will that work?
Old May 14, 2010, 03:33 PM
Obsidiana

No. "Llegó" was already corrected.
Old May 14, 2010, 03:36 PM
Diamond

Oh my goodness. I can't believe how many things I am failing to keep track of.

Ella me pidió tomar su primera clase si llegaba tarde al trabajo.

Old May 14, 2010, 03:59 PM
Obsidiana

OK, now it's done. Just concentrate and next ones will flow much easier.

Good job!
Old May 14, 2010, 08:15 PM
Diamond

FINALLY!! Thank you SO much for all of your help!! I have already started working on the second ensayo....

Here is the final version of this:

Mi primer ensayo de práctica. Tengo que escribir sobre una experiencia personal. (Estoy practicando para un curso que tomaré en Argentina este verano/invierno.) Tengo que incluir mi reacción emocional. Tengo que escribir al menos 125 palabras. ¡Las correcciones son bienvenidas!

Como a las siete, estaba leyendo en la cama, cuando sonó el teléfono. Era una de mis colegas. Ella había dormido hasta muy tarde y se fue preocupada. Ella me pidió tomar su primera clase si llegaba tarde al trabajo. (Generalmente, estoy libre durante el período de la primera clase.) Ella se sentía mal por llamarme temprano en mi mañana libre. Pero no me importó. Ya me había despertado.

¡Me comí las galletas en un momento!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: