Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Translation exercise with adverbs

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old April 21, 2012, 05:28 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Question Translation exercise with adverbs

The instructions were to translate from English into Spanish. My questions follow.

2) Given sentence: The prisoners got clean away.
The book's answer: Los prisioneros se escaparon.
My question: I wrote: "Los prisioneros consiguieron escapar." Is this also correct?

3) Given sentence: She is wrong. Pedro hasn't just been here.
The book's answer: Ella está equivocada. Pedro no acaba de estar aquí.
My question: I wrote: "Ella tiene razón....." Is this also correct?

5) Given sentence: The boss treated me in a very friendly way.
The book's answer: El jefe me trató de forma muy amigable. (O: El jefe me trató muy amigablamente.)
My question: I wrote: "El jefe me trató en una manera muy simpático." Is this also correct?

6) Given sentence: I'll lend you my computer as long as you promise that you aren't going to play with it.
The book's answer: Te prestaré mi ordenador siempre que prometes que no vas a jugar con él.
My question: I don't understand why it wouldn't be "me prometes....". Isn't this use of prometer typically found with an object?

11) Given sentence: There was hardly anything left.
The book's answer: Casi no quedaba nada. (O: Apenas quedaba nada.)
My question: I wrote: "No quedó casi nada." Is this also correct?

14) Given sentence: The hole isn't deep enough.
The book's answer: El agujero no es (lo) suficientemente/lo bastante profundo.
My question: I wrote: "El hoyo no está bastante profundo." Are hoyo & agujero synonyms here? Why ser and not estar? (Because I thought that the hole was about to change....) And does the use of bastante here require the "lo"?

Thank you for any help you can give me with these sentences!!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 21, 2012, 03:37 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
aleCcowaN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
2) Given sentence: The prisoners got clean away.
The book's answer: Los prisioneros se escaparon.
My question: I wrote: "Los prisioneros consiguieron escapar." Is this also correct?
But "clean" -the supposed "adverb"- is not in both yours and the book's answers. We may suppress "clean" and use a different word in Spanish:

"Los prisioneros se escabulleron"

as they could perfectly "escapar a los tiros", but they only can "escabullirse" without being noticed.

Anyway I would expect to hear "got clean away" in other contexts, like "los prisioneros zafaron" (they got clean away in trial) or "salieron por la puerta grande", or many others but, what do I know?
Quote:
3) Given sentence: She is wrong. Pedro hasn't just been here.
The book's answer: Ella está equivocada. Pedro no acaba de estar aquí.
My question: I wrote: "Ella tiene razón....." Is this also correct?
Either "tiene razón" or "está equivocada", not both.
Quote:
The book's answer: El jefe me trató de forma muy amigable. (O: El jefe me trató muy amigablamente.)
My question: I wrote: "El jefe me trató en una manera muy simpática." Is this also correct?
Not necessarily. Is it "nice" a synonym of "friendly" in the original sentence and probable context?
Quote:
6) Given sentence: I'll lend you my computer as long as you promise that you aren't going to play with it.
The book's answer: Te prestaré mi ordenador siempre que prometes que no vas a jugar con él.
My question: I don't understand why it wouldn't be "me prometes....". Isn't this use of prometer typically found with an object?
Maybe you didn't notice, but it is "prometas" in both answers. Corrected that, without "me" it sounds more like a contract, with "me" it sounds more personal compromise.
Quote:
11) Given sentence: There was hardly anything left.
The book's answer: Casi no quedaba nada. (O: Apenas quedaba nada.)
My question: I wrote: "No quedó casi nada." Is this also correct?
We depend on a context that is not there, but the most probable is using imperfect because you are describing some state in the past.
Quote:
14) Given sentence: The hole isn't deep enough.
The book's answer: El agujero no es (lo) suficientemente/lo bastante profundo.
My question: I wrote: "El hoyo no está bastante profundo." Are hoyo & agujero synonyms here? Why ser and not estar? (Because I thought that the hole was about to change....) And does the use of bastante here require the "lo"?
Well, both are correct on a lack of additional context. As this is not a hole through, an "hoyo" would be wide and pretty shallow, for instance, in the shape of a bowl or a bathtub. An "agujero" is more the drill-like or moth-like. It is supposed to be round and more deep than wide. The last is the most probable context to the target phrase.

About "estar", you are describing it as a temporary state, suppose the process of drilling: "el agujero no está suficientemente profundo, continúa perforando". With "ser" you describe how the hole "is" for a specific purpose: "el agujero no es suficientemente profundo" (no es todo lo profundo que necesitamos; le falta profundidad). With "lo", remember that it's the way to nominalize an adjective. Why would we do that? Because, we have some idea or standard about how the wished hole must be, and the actual hole is not it as it's more shallow.

Last edited by aleCcowaN; April 21, 2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old April 21, 2012, 03:50 PM
Diamond

THANK YOU so much!! I have just a couple of additional comments.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleCcowaN View Post
But "clean" -the supposed "adverb"- is not in both yours and the book's answers. We may suppress "clean" and use a different word in Spanish:

"Los prisioneros se escabulleron"

as they could perfectly "escapar a los tiros", but they only can "escabullirse" without being noticed.

Anyway I would expect to hear "got clean away" in other contexts, like "los prisioneros zafaron" (they got clean away in trial) or "salieron por la puerta grande", or many others but, what do I know?
In the text of the chapter I found the following: "Clean is not easy to translate in sentences like The cattle got clean away. In such cases it is much better to use the verb conseguir (manage, succeed in) followed by the verb escapar (escape)."

I thought that the sentence given in the exercises would be the same, just exchanging cattle for prisoners.....

Quote:
Not necessarily. Is it "nice" a synonym of "friendly" in the original sentence and probable context?
I absolutely understand about simpático vs. amigable. But I was also wondering about using the phrase "en una manera".... I was surprised that the book didn't have anything about the word "way" in their answer....

The rest I follow. Thank you again!!
Old April 21, 2012, 05:27 PM
Diamond

Quote:
THANK YOU so much!!
You're welcome

Quote:
In the text of the chapter I found the following: "Clean is not easy to translate in sentences like The cattle got clean away. In such cases it is much better to use the verb conseguir (manage, succeed in) followed by the verb escapar (escape)."

I thought that the sentence given in the exercises would be the same, just exchanging cattle for prisoners.....
That expression "get clean away" has a meaning too wide for me. I even heard people using "get clean away" and "get away clean" interchangeably, what I'm not sure it's correct. My interpretation of that was that "clean" adds some element of no-violent exploit of an opportunity, and not necessary that hectic try and try again until achieved that "lograr" or "conseguir" implies. I would like to confirm what does "clean" add to the sentence.

Quote:
I absolutely understand about simpático vs. amigable. But I was also wondering about using the phrase "en una manera".... I was surprised that the book didn't have anything about the word "way" in their answer....
But the book states "de forma muy amigable", that's a way.

Also, I tend to think in "amigable" as a part of "simpático", which is wider in meaning. Besides, there's a problem related to "amigable" and "amistoso" that even native speakers struggle to use well. Spanish "amigable" means -referring to people- "affable and friendship-prone", and it's mostly used with the verb "ser". But "amigable" means also "amistoso" when related to things, and this includes concepts taken from English like friendly software (un programa muy amigable). But "amistoso" is "the word", because it means friendship-like or friendship-related. "Un programa muy amistoso" in Buenos Aires would be the ideal person to have casual intimacy, or HAL 9000.

I would say that "el jefe me trató de manera muy amistosa".
Old April 22, 2012, 07:56 PM
Diamond

Quote:
That expression "get clean away" has a meaning too wide for me. I even heard people using "get clean away" and "get away clean" interchangeably, what I'm not sure it's correct. My interpretation of that was that "clean" adds some element of no-violent exploit of an opportunity, and not necessary that hectic try and try again until achieved that "lograr" or "conseguir" implies. I would like to confirm what does "clean" add to the sentence.
I personally don't really use "clean" in that sense. But to me "get clean away" would sound like the person getting away got away without any problems ("without a hitch"). If you said "the prisoners got clean away", I would imagine a prison break by some really slick prisoners who were able to disappear without any trace and no one is able to track them. The phrase "get away clean" sounds strange to me. I suppose it means the same thing, but I don't really like it. It sounds more to me like the not-dirty meaning of the word clean. Like he took a bath before he got away.....

Quote:
But the book states "de forma muy amigable", that's a way.

Also, I tend to think in "amigable" as a part of "simpático", which is wider in meaning. Besides, there's a problem related to "amigable" and "amistoso" that even native speakers struggle to use well. Spanish "amigable" means -referring to people- "affable and friendship-prone", and it's mostly used with the verb "ser". But "amigable" means also "amistoso" when related to things, and this includes concepts taken from English like friendly software (un programa muy amigable). But "amistoso" is "the word", because it means friendship-like or friendship-related. "Un programa muy amistoso" in Buenos Aires would be the ideal person to have casual intimacy, or HAL 9000.

I would say that "el jefe me trató de manera muy amistosa".
Goodness gracious. I was so focused on MY "manera" that I typed the book's answer wrong. Let's start again (see below).... I'm not sure if it makes a difference. So, "manera" works, too?

The book's answer: El jefe me trató muy amigablemente. (O: El jefe me trató de forma muy amigable.)
My question: I wrote: "El jefe me trató en una manera muy simpático." Is this also correct?
Old April 23, 2012, 01:04 AM
Diamond

amigablemente = de manera amigable = de forma amigable

I suppose there are certain regional preferences relating to manera or forma, but we alternate them in speech to avoid redundancy and unwanted rhymes.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: