Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

A few sentences about the political parties of the II Spanish Republic

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old October 08, 2016, 12:06 PM
Opal

Rennis is on a distinguished road
A few sentences about the political parties of the II Spanish Republic

Hello everybody!

This is my first post here. English is not my native language so I apologize to you if I make mistakes both here and the English versions of the translated sentences.
I am translating this text to my mother tongue and I have encountered a few sentences I am not sure.

The original version:
Quote:
De ideología muy católica y separatista, en las elecciones de febrero de 1936, y pese a ser un partido conservador de derechas y católico, se unió al Frente Popular, lo cual le condujo a que durante la guerra se encontrase igualmente en el bando del Ejercito Rojo frente a los partidos de derechas.
My translation:
Quote:
Very catholic and separatist in the field of ideology, in the election on February of 1936, in spite of being a conservative, right-wing and catholic party, it joined the Popular Front, which led it to the situation that it found itself equally in the faction of the Red Army in front of the right-wing parties.
Did I understand well the last part of this long sentence (after "lo cual le condujo")? Why is "encontrar" in the subjuntive form? Could anyone translate this part to English?

Another fragment:
Quote:
En 1905 varios oficiales asaltaron su local y el del diario del partido, La veu de Catalunya, por los insultos y burlas que éste periódico dirigía al Ejército español. A favor del asalto se mostró Lerroux. Por el escándalo que promovió la Lliga se hubo de suspender las garantías constitucionales en la provincia y destituir los Capitanes Generales de Barcelona, Madrid y Sevilla, llegando a temerse incluso un golpe militar.
My translation:
Quote:
In 1905 a few officers assaulted the local [of the party] and of the party’s paper, „La veu de Catalunya”, for the insults and toants which these paper directed to the Spanish Army. Lerroux turned out to be in favour of the assault. Due to the scandal caused by la Lliga the constitutional guarantees were suspended in the province and the Captain Generals of Barcelona, Madrid and Sevilla were dismissed, which led to concerns including a military coup.

I am aware that my English translation may be full of grammatical mistakes, but I just want you to ask if I understand correctly the Spanish phrases.

Last edited by Rusty; October 08, 2016 at 01:52 PM. Reason: removed link

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: