Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Good Method to improve listening comprehension?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old February 22, 2012, 10:27 PM
Opal

johngxx is on a distinguished road
Good Method to improve listening comprehension?

Hey, I am a Spanish learner from Finland and I would like to know if somebody know a good method to improve listening comprehesion, I have the problem that I found either very advanced podcast or very simple ones and not many guide you on how to listen, I tried the most common ones when I type SPanish podcasts or audios at Google but after trying I've found that they don't help me out to overcome my struggle listening movies or native speakers. Thanks in advance folks.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 23, 2012, 06:47 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngxx View Post
Hey, I am a Spanish learner from Finland and I would like to know if somebody know a good method to improve listening comprehesion, I have the problem that I found either very advanced podcast or very simple ones and not many guide you on how to listen, I tried the most common ones when I type SPanish podcasts or audios at Google but after trying I've found that they don't help me out to overcome my struggle listening movies or native speakers. Thanks in advance folks.
How long have you been actively trying to hone your listening skills?

That's important too.
Old February 23, 2012, 08:03 AM
Opal

johngxx is on a distinguished road
About 2 years...
Old February 23, 2012, 10:36 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
If you can't find a native Spanish speaker to converse with you in Spanish, listen to songs in Spanish and try to find the lyrics in Spanish which are often available on line. Unfortunately contemporary pop music is not usually a good choice. Find ballads in Spanish known a boleros (with singers like Olga Guillot). If you stick to it, you will definitely improve you listening, and not to mention, speaking skills.
Old February 23, 2012, 11:21 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I agree that some music may not be the best idea... however, you can try listening to podcasts (or movies or news or TV programs) on topics you already know about, so you can follow what is being said. Improving your vocabulary will help you understand much more.

And perhaps you'll also find useful some posts in this other thread.
Old February 23, 2012, 09:47 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngxx View Post
About 2 years...
OK.

So I guess you understand much if not all that is written and you know how to write what you understand.

Right?
Old May 29, 2012, 05:20 PM
Opal

Native Language: Ingles
kokopellime is on a distinguished road
Check out Senor Wooly's site for a great combination of musical videos, audio files and lyrics. Sr. Wooly (Mr. James Woooldrige) is a public school Spanish teacher who created these resources for his students and subsequently has shared them with the wider public. They are fun and lighthearted and make listening to them over and over enjoyable. I'm finding that my listening skills are improving as well as my grammar and vocabulary.

The site is http://www.senorwooly.com/

His cornerstone song is Billy La Bufanda (http://www.senorwooly.com/song.php?cancion=billy) but one I truly enjoy is ¿Puedo ir al baño? (http://www.senorwooly.com/song.php?c...edo_ir_al_bano)
Old August 05, 2012, 01:38 PM
Opal

Cavera is on a distinguished road
I don´t think listening to music is a good way to improve a language.
Me gusta mucho los podcasts principalmente porque puedes hacer otras cosas en mismo tiempo.
En esto momento también estoy tentando ver películas con close caption, pero solo consigo entender bien películas para niños (Shrek, The Incredibles, this kind of stuff).
Old October 31, 2012, 12:08 AM
Opal

barcafc is on a distinguished road
I use... youtube. A LOT. there many good Spanish language channels. An hour or so of research will let you choose a few youtube channels that will work for you and it's all gratis! If you want it more organized and focused there are good computer-based courses. Rosetta stone by all means if you can afford it.
<snip>
Occasionally I also like to go to the Latino part of the city, go to cafes, stores and restaurant and sort of eavesdrop, basically trying to discern what people are talking about. ¡Buena suerte

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; October 31, 2012 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Removed links
Old October 31, 2012, 04:42 AM
Opal

Native Language: English
magicrob is on a distinguished road
I'd suggest tv with subtitles. The advantage of tv over pure audio is that you can get a lot from the context and visual aspect of what's going on, so you don't necessarily need to understand as much as you would a podcast, for example. Use subtitles so you can pick out words in phrases - usually problems with listening are to do with not understanding connected words and phrases, rather than problems with vocabulary.

Make an investment from amazon es (recently opened), and watch some series you already enjoy, in Spanish, with subtitles on. Helped me hugely!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: