Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Rusty and total immersion

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old June 06, 2009, 10:01 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
laughingwithfee is on a distinguished road
i agree

My mother spoke almost no Spanish when she went on an exchange trip to Ecuador. Her family spoke no English, so she was forced to learn Spanish. She came out of the trip speaking fluent Spanish. My cousin had the same experience last year.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 07, 2009, 12:21 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingwithfee View Post
My mother spoke almost no Spanish when she went on an exchange trip to Ecuador. Her family spoke no English, so she was forced to learn Spanish. She came out of the trip speaking fluent Spanish. My cousin had the same experience last year.
Wow, ¿cuántos meses fueron en Ecuador?
Después de leerlo estoy entusiasmado porque iré a España para un año para aprender español

Gracias
Bob
Old June 07, 2009, 01:25 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjenkins View Post
Después de leerlo estoy entusiasmado porque iré a España para un año para aprender español

Gracias
Bob
Si vas a estar un año aquí, vas a aprender muchísimo. Sé de gente que ha estado tres meses en Inglaterra y ha vuelto sabiendo muchísmo inglés.
Old June 07, 2009, 11:16 AM
Ruby

Quote:

Gracias
Bob
Mas o menos cinco meses.
Old June 07, 2009, 04:23 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
bobjenkins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Si vas a estar un año aquí, vas a aprender muchísimo. Sé de gente que ha estado tres meses en Inglaterra y ha vuelto sabiendo muchísimo inglés.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingwithfee View Post
Mas o menos cinco meses.
¡Estoy tan entusiasmado!
Old June 07, 2009, 06:04 PM
Ruby

Quote:
¡Estoy tan entusiasmado!
¡buena suerte con su viaje!
Old July 26, 2009, 07:27 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Dutch
EmpanadaRica is on a distinguished road
Hola a todos!

It' s very interesting to read all your thoughts about this topic, gracias por eso! I would like to add something brief (well.. ok maybe not extremely brief..) about my own experience(s) if I may.

I have attempted to learn Spanish one time before. I bought the books, (i.e. idiom, verbs, verb-practise). I really did want to make a good start but somehow I gave up after about 3 weeks. I wasn' t motivated to look into the book every day and make exercises. This wasa few years ago. I have been wanting to learn Spanish since (because I think it' s a beautiful language and because I love travelling to South America!).

So this time I have decided to go about it very differently, as it seems the approach I tried before did not work. So about 2 months ago (I have been studying Spanish for about 2 months) I decided to take a very different approach in that I was determined to find things that would keep me going, that would make the learning experience varied, stimulating and also ' forcing' me to keep busy, keep doing something every day to make myself get used to integrating Spanish into my life (as I think this is really the only way to learn it). You might call it 'discipline' maybe although my approach seems way too chaotic to justify that word..

I decided to connect to people (i.e. 'tandem partner and penpals') so I would feel a little social pressure in a sence (apart from it being a very good and nice way to learn it does make you want to advance as well..). My friends here don't speak Spanish so they would not be able to appreciate any difference or imrpovement. Now having had 2 months of exchange on skype with one new Spanish friend (bonus!) we can definitely notice improvements and are more aware of the things we can help eachother with

Apart from this I have been trying to ' raise the bar' in the sense that I have wanted to submerge myself in as many ways as I can, as I think this most naturally mimics the natural way in which we learn a language- not knowing things, learning them as we go along, being surrounded by them and building our understanding in the process. So I have been trying to read forums, listen to many podcasts, now slowly advancing to listening music and interviews on the radio, watching tv and reading a book/ listening to an audiobook. This in combination with brief chats (msn), adhoc exercise such as short messages to be corrected on a forum, longer emails to be corrected (snailmail) to train the use of less common words of grammar constructs, and skype sessions varing from 30 minutes to more than an hour, I think are starting to really have their effects now.

It seems a lot, but I think anyone can or could do this if you are commited enough. it does not have to be much more than half an hour in a day, listening to a podcast, making a short exercise, reading a few pages or some subjects on a forum.

I am not sure if this constitutes to ' submergence' into language but I do try to expose myself to it in as many ways as I can, and whenever I can. For example, I enjoy watching travel documentaries or documentaries in general. Instead of watching them in Dutch or English I will now watch them in Spanish instead (or I will download a Spanish version of a series I enjoy and find the subtitles online to watch it in Spanish instead). In the beginning this took a lot of energy but now, after a few weeks, I am noticing sometimes I am starting to recognize and understand certain parts without having to wind back and listen again. Obviously I don' t understand everything or literally, but I have noticed words are starting to stick, I am starting to use them and/ or recognize constructions. So I will continue doing this, because I think we learn both consciously and subconsciously (i.e. recognizing what does or does not ' sound' right).

I am quite an advocate of it in fact because I think I have learned most of my English through watching American and English tv being subtitled- even if naturally it is tought in school and used at university. I'm not claiming we should learn exclusively from tv of course, but I do believe that diversifying the way we ' take in' a language as much as possible in reading, listening, writing and speaking it, will help learning the language that much quicker. Plus it makes you more stimulated/determined to keep it up, and it' s more fun because you can more quickly notice the effect of your learning process (it is more relevant when you can out what you have learned to use).

Last edited by EmpanadaRica; July 26, 2009 at 07:30 AM.
Old July 26, 2009, 04:16 PM
Emerald

Native Language: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
Hello my tasty meat pie. I agree with your method of total immersion. I attend two language cafes every week where I can practise German, French and Spanish, often with native speakers. There are plenty of websites where you can both hear and see native speakers, often with an original script and /or a translation of what you hear. I have a motorised satellite dish which gives me plenty of foreign stations to watch. Your English is perfect. This is true of most of your countrymen. You are a nation of linguists. Skype is a good idea, but I find it can be rather time-consuming. Keep up your efforts. Your Spanish will soon be perfect as well.
Old July 26, 2009, 04:57 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Dutch
EmpanadaRica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brute View Post
Hello my tasty meat pie. I agree with your method of total immersion. I attend two language cafes every week where I can practise German, French and Spanish, often with native speakers. There are plenty of websites where you can both hear and see native speakers, often with an original script and /or a translation of what you hear. I have a motorised satellite dish which gives me plenty of foreign stations to watch. Your English is perfect. This is true of most of your countrymen. You are a nation of linguists. Skype is a good idea, but I find it can be rather time-consuming. Keep up your efforts. Your Spanish will soon be perfect as well.
¡Hola brute!

¡¡Gracias!! Alas, my English is far from perfect (thank you for saying that though ).. However it is the language that is easiest for me apart from Dutch of course.

Yes my goal is to become completely comfortable with Spanish, maybe almost similar to English, which sometimes feels like putting on a pair of comfortable old shoes (which will be a process of years rather than months I am sure, and an ongoing learning process). But I am quite determined, and I love the language! The more I learn about it, the more curious and eager I am becoming to learn even more, in fact.

As for Skype, yes it is time and energy consuming I agree with you in that respect. However I do feel it offers you an opportunity to train your brain in a way that is quite different from more 'passive' consumption such as listening to radio or watching tv. It can be exhausting, but I do think because it is so intensive, you can learn quite a lot from it.

If anyone has any additional suggestions or ideas I would certainly welcome them!

Ps I only just noticed the little 'accents' bar in the posting options, it's excellent!!! Does anyone know if there is any way this can be downloaded and integrated into hotmail for instance, because making accents on my keyboard gives me a headache sometimes..

Last edited by EmpanadaRica; July 26, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old July 26, 2009, 06:12 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpanadaRica View Post
Hola a todos!

It' s very interesting to read all your thoughts about this topic, gracias por eso! I would like to add something brief (well.. ok maybe not extremely brief..) about my own experience(s) if I may.

I have attempted to learn Spanish one time before. I bought the books, (i.e. idiom, verbs, verb-practise). I really did want to make a good start but somehow I gave up after about 3 weeks. I wasn' t motivated to look into the book every day and make exercises. This wasa few years ago. I have been wanting to learn Spanish since (because I think it' s a beautiful language and because I love travelling to South America!).

So this time I have decided to go about it very differently, as it seems the approach I tried before did not work. So about 2 months ago (I have been studying Spanish for about 2 months) I decided to take a very different approach in that I was determined to find things that would keep me going, that would make the learning experience varied, stimulating and also ' forcing' me to keep busy, keep doing something every day to make myself get used to integrating Spanish into my life (as I think this is really the only way to learn it). You might call it 'discipline' maybe although my approach seems way too chaotic to justify that word..

I decided to connect to people (i.e. 'tandem partner and penpals') so I would feel a little social pressure in a sence (apart from it being a very good and nice way to learn it does make you want to advance as well..). My friends here don't speak Spanish so they would not be able to appreciate any difference or imrpovement. Now having had 2 months of exchange on skype with one new Spanish friend (bonus!) we can definitely notice improvements and are more aware of the things we can help eachother with

Apart from this I have been trying to ' raise the bar' in the sense that I have wanted to submerge myself in as many ways as I can, as I think this most naturally mimics the natural way in which we learn a language- not knowing things, learning them as we go along, being surrounded by them and building our understanding in the process. So I have been trying to read forums, listen to many podcasts, now slowly advancing to listening music and interviews on the radio, watching tv and reading a book/ listening to an audiobook. This in combination with brief chats (msn), adhoc exercise such as short messages to be corrected on a forum, longer emails to be corrected (snailmail) to train the use of less common words of grammar constructs, and skype sessions varing from 30 minutes to more than an hour, I think are starting to really have their effects now.

It seems a lot, but I think anyone can or could do this if you are commited enough. it does not have to be much more than half an hour in a day, listening to a podcast, making a short exercise, reading a few pages or some subjects on a forum.

I am not sure if this constitutes to ' submergence' into language but I do try to expose myself to it in as many ways as I can, and whenever I can. For example, I enjoy watching travel documentaries or documentaries in general. Instead of watching them in Dutch or English I will now watch them in Spanish instead (or I will download a Spanish version of a series I enjoy and find the subtitles online to watch it in Spanish instead). In the beginning this took a lot of energy but now, after a few weeks, I am noticing sometimes I am starting to recognize and understand certain parts without having to wind back and listen again. Obviously I don' t understand everything or literally, but I have noticed words are starting to stick, I am starting to use them and/ or recognize constructions. So I will continue doing this, because I think we learn both consciously and subconsciously (i.e. recognizing what does or does not ' sound' right).

I am quite an advocate of it in fact because I think I have learned most of my English through watching American and English tv being subtitled- even if naturally it is tought in school and used at university. I'm not claiming we should learn exclusively from tv of course, but I do believe that diversifying the way we ' take in' a language as much as possible in reading, listening, writing and speaking it, will help learning the language that much quicker. Plus it makes you more stimulated/determined to keep it up, and it' s more fun because you can more quickly notice the effect of your learning process (it is more relevant when you can out what you have learned to use).
Firstly your experience wasn't brief don't worry for it.

Now I understand your situation, I've had it kind to difficultly in learn the language but in my case English, already that my tongue language is Spanish. Of course the same problem in both cases, my advance for learn the language is if you've the communication with people who speak the language so well, as you can practice with them, I believe that it's most appropriate way, I don't fin other way, because I feel that is easier that way, already you can speak and learn the method that them used during a conversation, just it happened to me before and nowadays also I've problems with the learning, because I've not friend or people who can speak with me the language, therefore it tend to be more difficult each day.

Then the recommendation to learn the language if you have the possibility to speak with someone in the msn or skype where the chat hasn't cost some, then I believe that one day, you'll can be able to speak perfectly and clear the language.

In your post I could to saw that you dominate perfectly the English, I didn't see almost mistakes in your post is perfect, in fact I'm surprising with yours knowledge in English as clear as can be possible, also I'm glad that you're learning and getting better the Spanish with your friendly chats, it's turn to be good in the moment, but it doesn't sufficient.

If you've need help, I can recommending you, if you have the chance to find some place in your country where you can practice the language as soon as you can do it, because when people is motivate with someone is easier to learn whatever that when not.

I know that the find some place where you can practice can get to be hard to find most for the place where you live, but I believe that some school must to be some class about it.

Good luck with the learning, and I'll waiting can be to help for you.

Tags
acquisition, i + 1, immersion, language acquisition, linguistics, stephen krashen, total immersion

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: