Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework

More relative pronouns

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old June 16, 2009, 12:27 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English
cmon is on a distinguished road
More relative pronouns

The house, in which they live, has three floors.
La casa, en la que/en la cual viven, tiene tres pisos.

The garden, for which the plants were bought, was designed ten years ago.
El jardin, para el que/para el cual las plantas fueron compradas, fue diseñado hace diez años.

This is the game room that the real estate agent told you about.
Este es el cuarto de juego de que/del que/del cual la agente de bienes raíces te dijo.

The caterers who were hired for the open house are on the patio serving refreshments to all the prospective buyers.
Los proveedores que fueron contratados para la casa abierta están sirviendo los refrescos a todos los posibles compradores en el patio.

This bedroom is the one that is my favorite.
Este dormitorio es el que/el cual es mi favorito.

The one who buys this house will surely enjoy himself living here.
El que/Quien compra esta casa sin duda se disfrutará de vivir aquí.

The floral shop, from which the flower arrangements were ordered, has a very good reputation.
La floristería, de la que/de la cual los arreglos florales fueron ordenados, tiene una reputación muy buena.

The living room, for which the owner bought the chandelier, is to the right of the dining room.
La sala, para la que/para la cual la propietaria compró la araña de luces, está a la derecha del comedor.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 16, 2009, 01:16 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmon View Post

The house, in which they live, has three floors.
La casa, en la que/en la cual viven, tiene tres pisos.

The garden, for which the plants were bought, was designed ten years ago.
El jardin, para el que/para el cual las plantas fueron compradas, fue diseñado hace diez años.

This is the game room that the real estate agent told you about.
Este es el cuarto de juego de que/del que/del cual la agente de bienes raíces te dijo.
It's not exactly wrong but it sounds weird. I would reformulate the sentence: Este es el cuarto de juegos del que te habló la agente de bienes raíces/Este es el cuarto de juegos que te dijo la agente de ventas.

The caterers who were hired for the open house are on the patio serving refreshments to all the prospective buyers.
Los proveedores que fueron contratados para la casa abierta* están sirviendo (los) refrescosa todos los posibles compradores en el patio.
*I would use "casa muestra" here, but I don't know if it's a "mexicanism".

This bedroom is the one that is my favorite.
Este dormitorio es el que/el cual es mi favorito.
For some kind of reason "el cual" sounds wrong to me here, but I cannot explain why. I know the intention is to exercise on pronouns, but I still have to say that the usual sentence in this case would simply be "este dormitorio es mi favorito"

The one who buys this house will surely enjoy himself living here.
El que/Quien compre esta casa sin duda se disfrutará de vivir aquí.
You're expressing a possibility, so subjunctive is needed.

The floral shop, from which the flower arrangements were ordered, has a very good reputation.
La floristería, de la que/de la cual los arreglos florales fueron ordenados, tiene una reputación muy buena.
Spanish is very flexible and your sentence is correct, but I suggest reordering some words: La floristería/florería de la que/de la cual/de donde fueron ordenados los arreglos, tiene una muy buena reputación.
Or: ...de donde se ordenaron los arreglos... (keep in mind passive voice is a lot les used in Spanish)

The living room, for which the owner bought the chandelier, is to the right of the dining room.
La sala, para la que/para la cual la propietaria compró la araña de luces/el candelabro, está a la derecha del comedor.
Well done, cmon.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: