Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

¡Charla con Cheshire!

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old July 13, 2010, 09:21 PM
Ruby

Native Language: English
Tarential is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Travel can certainly be a great education if the type of vacation you choose does not include sitting around a pool all day and drinking syrupy rum concoctions.
Damn. There goes my travel plan.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old July 13, 2010, 09:27 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post
Pasé un mes en Costa Rica, en San José. ¡Un país extraordinario! Los bosques tropicales, las playas, vocanes, se parece irreal, ¡todo está tan verde y vibrante!

Hace mucho tiempo visité la Habana, Cuba -- era antes de que hablara español. Me gustaría mucho volver algún día cuando no sea tan difícil.

Me gustaría mucho realizar un viaje a España, pero por el momento no tengo el dinero.

Aquí pongo una foto en Guanajuato, una ciudad con mucho colorido:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
A mí también me encanta Costa Rica. ¿Conoces el Volcán Irazú? Viví en Escazú y en Turrialba. Los Ticos son muy amables y su país muy lindo. ¡Pura vida!
También conozco Honduras, Nicaragua, y Panamá.
Hola, Rusty, los ticos: ¿son los costarricenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire View Post
Sí, fuimos a Irazú, muy impresionante, toda la arena negra...

Había unos mapaches allí, que eran muy atrevidos, les dimos un poco de comer:
Hola, Cheshire, buenas fotos y buenas experiencias... He marcado en rojo algunas correcciones y en azul algunas sugerencias (o la forma en que yo lo diría)

Tu dominio del español es muy bueno, la verdad es que lo escribes a un nivel que ya le gustaría a mucha gente que escribe comentarios en los periódicos en-línea.
Old July 13, 2010, 09:58 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
Hola, Rusty, los ticos: ¿son los costarricenses?
Sí.
Old July 14, 2010, 09:53 PM
Opal

Cheshire is on a distinguished road
@ JPablo, gracias por corregirme...siempre me ayuda aprender. ¿Por qué se usa subjuntivo en "antes de que hablara español"?
Old July 15, 2010, 12:14 AM
Diamond

Buena pregunta.
Si dices "antes de que hablaba" sería como decir [literalmente] "before that I was talking Spanish". Of course that is incorrect in English. I guess you'd say "before I was able to talk Spanish" or "before I talked Spanish".
Well, I guess the answer to your question, is because you use subjunctive too in English, right?

In Spanish "que yo hable", "que yo hablara o hablase" is what you'd use. You could also use the infinitive, as in "Antes de hablar español". (Before talking Spanish).

That is my 'intuitive' answer. I hope it clarifies... Otherwise, let me know. (Hey, feel free to correct my English...)
Old July 15, 2010, 02:29 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Norwegian
Vikingo is on a distinguished road
Good question, Cheshire!

Here is my understanding: you use the subjunctive in time clauses that refer to a time LATER than a point in time that is used as a reference point.

For example: Cuando venga papá, ¡ya verás! - here the reference point is the current moment, and the time clause with "cuando" refers to the future (i.e. later than our reference point)

Often the exact time reference can be difficult to see:
Esperamos a que llegaran - here the reference is when we decided to start waiting, but here:

Esperamos hasta que llegaron - here it is when they actually arrived. The actual nexus used ("a que" versus "hasta que") is significant in these cases.

With "antes de que", though, the logic is that whatever follows "antes de que" is happening LATER than what happened in the main clause. And the main clause sets the reference point in these cases, so the subjunctive is always used.

Hope this wasn't too unclear There are of course other factors involved with the use of the subjunctive in time clauses, to make our lives difficult, but this is one of the most important ones.

Last edited by Vikingo; July 15, 2010 at 02:34 AM.
Old July 15, 2010, 03:37 AM
Diamond

Well, thank you Vikingo, (to the rescue...) (It made me think further...)
What Vikingo says makes perfect sense to me, but I would add that the subjunctive being the mode of the "hypothetical" world, is what you would use in the sentence above.
Before you knew Spanish, it was not a FACT yet, i.e., you could have learned Spanish or not, so even though you now are rather fluent in this language, at the time you are referring, this was not something happening as a reality.

Cuando yo no hablaba inglés, nunca pensé que acabaría/acabase aprendiendo alguna vez.

The first is a fact, I wasn't able to speak English. The second one "never thought I would end up ever learning" even though it is now a fact, [is it??], at the time it was just an idea, an hypothesis... (I hope that helps, it helped me!)
Old July 15, 2010, 09:10 PM
Opal

Cheshire is on a distinguished road
OK, creo que ahora entiendo.
Old July 15, 2010, 09:18 PM
Diamond

¡Estupendo, me alegro!
Old July 18, 2010, 12:07 AM
Diamond

Elaina will become famous soon enough
Cheshire, veo que ya conoces el "callejón del beso" por la foto que compartiste con nosotros. Conociste tambien las momias? Guanajuato es una ciudad muy interesante y colorida y llena de historias. A mi me encantó cuando la visité. También conozco Aguascalientes. Yo entoy enamorada de la música típica de México .... o quizás de los Mariachis

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: