Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Using Spanish in different Countries

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old February 03, 2016, 10:13 PM
Opal

TheWind is on a distinguished road
Using Spanish in different Countries

Hello,

Im relatively new to the forums. I know that because Spanish is spoken in so many countries that the grammar or pronunciation might change a little from country-to-country.

I'm thinking about learning Spanish from Mexico or Spain, but my question concerns to how well the language transfers from country-to-country?

For example, if I learned Spanish in Mexico (or from a mexican/mexican style) and then I chose to travel to countries like Spain, Peru & Columbia, would they understand me perfectly fine? Or would the locals look at me and think "Why does his Spanish sound so funny?"

Many thanks

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 04, 2016, 05:38 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
The grammar doesn't change very much. You'll find that leismo is accepted in most countries, but if you know how to use grammar correctly, you will be able to make the adjustments needed to fit in. Sounding like the native speakers in the area is what you should strive for.

The vocabulary is the thing that changes most from country to country. Mexico and Spain have the most diverse vocabulary, I believe.

Pronunciation differs within each country, let alone from country to country. The less educated someone is usually dictates pronunciation and usage.

I've found it best to learn the Spanish you're hearing. When what you hear is different than what you've already learned, learn to use it unless you're only there for a short time. There are differences everywhere and native speakers don't worry about how they sound in a place where their particular usage differs from the norm. Think in terms of the different pronunciations of the English language. We find the different dialects interesting and usually don't care if our pronunciation and vocabulary differ. If we choose to live elsewhere where the English is quite different, we would adjust our style in order to fit in better. When they want to, there are people from the UK who can sound like they're from the US, and vice-versa. I suppose the same can happen between Mexicans and Spaniards, when they so choose.
Old February 04, 2016, 08:26 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Spanish (Castilian) from Spain is to Spanish what British English is to English. Mexican Spanish is to the Castilian language what American English is to the English language. A Mexican can have a conversation with a Spaniard with minor difficulties An American can have a conversation with a Brit with minor difficulties.

With the exception of Argentinian Spanish whose pronunciation and grammatical use is unique, Spanish spoken in the Americas is similar with local pronunciation differences and other minor quirks. People may disagree with me, but I think that well-spoken Mexican Spanish is the unofficial standard Spanish of the Americas (minus the Spanish of Argentina and Uruguay).

A friend of mine from Peru said that Mexican media (the movies in particular) have an influence on the way people speak in Peru. That's why I think Mexican Spanish creates a norm.
Old February 04, 2016, 10:36 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
There is a standard (more formal) Spanish where we all understand each other.

Colloquialisms mark the big differences, but that's the same in any language. Sometimes context helps, sometimes one has to ask what the other person means, but we have a saying: "hablando se entiende la gente" (people understand each other by talking), so any variation you learn, you will be able to communicate with others as long as they want to communicate with you as well.
Old March 15, 2016, 05:46 AM
Opal

spanishnative123 is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I think that the spanish from Spain is the most "pure" based on the "Real Academia Española which was founded in Spain.

Also i think that when you are learning a language you need to listen to it as many time as possible. People from Spain used a high volume of voice when they talk. This can create a more energetic environment that keeps you motivated while your learn... Spain has a lots and for me the best comedy movies which is a plus. (Mexico also have really good movies)

I'm not from Spain, but I believe that, and of course once you have learned the spanish language you will understand any "accent" and you will be able to adapt your voice to your favorite. I love spanish accent from spain, argentina and colombia.

I'm from Central America and the true is that we have more influence from Spain and USA than we have from South America...
Old September 25, 2016, 09:57 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Inglés
Sancho Panther is on a distinguished road
I dare say that there's more variation in regional accents in Britain (or even just England) than there is in all the Spanish speaking world. I for one am almost totally incapable of understanding "Geordie", the accent of far north eastern England (about two hundred miles from where I live); and as for Glasgow Scots, well don't even ask!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: