Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Spanish in SA

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old September 08, 2009, 09:11 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
I cannot tell much about South America, since my only source are TV programs (from Venezuela, Colombia, Peru, Argentina), but I've never heard anyone there using "vosotros" in regular conversations.

It's definitely never used in Mexico (but then Mexico is not in South America).

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 09, 2009, 01:36 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Vos isn't used in Spain or Mexico.
It is used in Spain, rarely, but it's not the same vos as used in Argentina. The voseo is a big subject: http://buscon.rae.es/dpdI/SrvltGUIBu...seo&origen=RAE
Old September 09, 2009, 04:51 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Vosotros is conversationally used only in Spain. It can be found in literary works (poems, prayers, the Bible, hymns), so if we read such things, or if we plan on visiting Spain, we need to be familiar with its use.
Your South American friends are most likely using vos when speaking to a friend (singular person) and ustedes when speaking to more than one person. I doubt they're using vosotros.
Ahhh, Rusty - you're right. I definitely heard "vos" used, but not "vosotros". BUT ... it was definitely used in the plural. The reason I made a mental note of it at one particular time was because one friend was talking to another about the 2nd person's whole family. She was saying something about wanting to see "y'all" soon. I can't remember the exact words, but she was definitely refering to the whole family and used "vos"....
Old September 09, 2009, 06:53 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
"Vos" is like "Tú", maybe you heared something wrong. "Vosotros" is almost never used... I think I have never hearded it outside school and books.

maybe she said something like "los quiero ver a todos pronto/ya" and maybe you heared bad "los" as "vos" or something like that.
Old September 09, 2009, 08:35 AM
Diamond

Seriously, the one time it was written that way, and I double and triple checked. She wrote "vos" to a family of close friends. It occurred to me that it was different than I had been told, so that's why I checked it again. BUT, the bottom line here is that after reading and re-reading all of this discussion ... I WILL NOT use "vos" or "vosotros" in Latin America. Ever. Just to be safe.
Old September 09, 2009, 08:53 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Exist people who use the word Vosotros and vos in Mexico, but normally it's sound very bad at least here in my country already that we should use the word Nosotros and tu, ustedes, ellos, ellas, eso, yo.

I believe that each person has his way very different to speak in anyplace.
Old September 09, 2009, 10:27 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
laepelba, si lo encontraste escrito puede ser que tengas razón. 'Vos' originalmente es una abreviación de Vosotros, como "Nos", que leo muy amenudo (en libros traducidos o de español de antaño, pero no tan viejo) que sirve de abreviatura a Nosotros. Entonces pudo haber sido como dices.

Espero ver a vos muy pronto = Espero ver a vosotros muy pronto
Espero verte a vos muy pronto = Espero verte a ti muy pronto.

Fuera del uso escrito, dudo que llegues a escucharlo... ya escrito es rarisimo (nunca lo leí ni escuche, pero por analogía del 'Nos' no me suena raro tampoco). Además, no se confunde nunca con el "vos"(tú) porque el tiempo "vos"(vosotros) es plural.

Perdón por no darme cuenta antes, pero era necesario que digas que lo leíste :P

Last edited by ookami; September 09, 2009 at 10:29 AM.
Old September 09, 2009, 08:24 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
laepelba, si lo encontraste escrito puede ser que tengas razón. 'Vos' originalmente es una abreviación de Vosotros, como "Nos", que leo muy amenudo (en libros traducidos o de español de antaño, pero no tan viejo) que sirve de abreviatura a Nosotros. Entonces pudo haber sido como dices.

Espero ver a vos muy pronto = Espero ver a vosotros muy pronto
Espero verte a vos muy pronto = Espero verte a ti muy pronto.

Fuera del uso escrito, dudo que llegues a escucharlo... ya escrito es rarisimo (nunca lo leí ni escuche, pero por analogía del 'Nos' no me suena raro tampoco). Además, no se confunde nunca con el "vos"(tú) porque el tiempo "vos"(vosotros) es plural.

Perdón por no darme cuenta antes, pero era necesario que digas que lo leíste :P
Thanks for that great clarification, Ookami. That is very helpful! I'm still going to avoid using it ... written or otherwise.
Old September 09, 2009, 11:09 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Vosotros is conversationally used only in Spain. It can be found in literary works (poems, prayers, the Bible, hymns), so if we read such things, or if we plan on visiting Spain, we need to be familiar with its use.
Your South American friends are most likely using vos when speaking to a friend (singular person) and ustedes when speaking to more than one person. I doubt they're using vosotros.
Estoy de acuerdo con esto.
Old September 14, 2009, 12:00 PM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Ecuador is the best place to live in the world! Live there on only $500 a month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanJuan View Post
I am studying Spanish to be used in Ecuador. I was told that the verb conjugation "vosotros" was not used in South America. Is this correct?
Thanks in advance, JuanJuan
I get this in my e-mails. Hard to believe but this is what it says.
I don't work for them a proposito.

Ecuador Uncensored
It's official: Ecuador is the best place to live in the world. After all, this little country just won our Annual Retirement Index.
That's hardly surprising. Ecuador has the world's best climate. From snow-capped volcanoes to dense Amazon jungle to sun-drenched Pacific beaches to the famous Galapagos Islands, Ecuador offers something for everyone and at prices unheard of for years in North America and Europe.
If you like the outdoors, have dreamed of owning a Spanish colonial home in a colonial city, or want to spend hours strolling on an undeveloped beach, then Ecuador will be perfect for you.
Combine this with Ecuador’s equatorial sunshine...a choice of spectacular mountain, high plains, jungle or coastal settings...plus the welcoming nature of the Ecuadorian people...and you have a combination of quality of life and investment opportunity that’s hard to beat.
Ecuador is a fascinating place to live at any price. But when a couple can live well here on less than $500 a month…it's a no-brainer.
That's why, beginning tomorrow, and for the next five days, we're going to let you in on every secret we know about starting a new life in Ecuador. Whether you want to live, invest, vacation, retire, or simply relax in Ecuador, we've got it covered.
Over the coming week, we'll bring you stories from expats who are happily living the good life in this little country…you'll hear from investors who have spotted how to turn a profit (whether it's in the guild villages or the real estate market)…we'll reveal our experts' best-value real estate picks…take a trip to one of the world's least expensive beach towns…and more.

Last edited by Rusty; September 14, 2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Removed advertising - Villa may want to provide details privately, if interested

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: