Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Quince Años party

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old April 06, 2009, 01:45 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Question Quince Años party

Those of you that are Spanish, have you have a quince años party? I know that girls do it, what do boys do what they reach 15?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old April 06, 2009, 04:26 PM
Pearl

Native Language: Hablo inglés y chino nativamente.
chanman is on a distinguished road
I think it's actually called a "quinceañera," and I think it's mostly girls, like a "sweet sixteen" in the EE.UU, or a Bar/bat mitzfah for Jews.
Old April 06, 2009, 07:50 PM

yeah I guess it's called that. Oh I never knew there's a "Sweet sixteen" in the U.S. O.o uh oh I put that weddings were a simliar event to quinceañera (we were working on a writing assignment)
Old April 06, 2009, 07:55 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
@Jessica: I don't know in other countries, but in Mexico the only ones who celebrate their fifteenth birthday are girls. Historically, it was a ceremony to "introduce" a young lady to society, in a way to say she was already a woman and should be treated as an adult from then on. It was also some sort of "permission" to suitors that would visit her in order to find a good candidate for her to marry.

In modern times, it's only a party to celebrate that the girl has left childhood behind, and of course, there are not many parents who want their daughters to be married so young anymore.

Traditional party include a religious ceremony. The guests are usually the whole family, the parents' friends and the girl's friends. Her father or godfather makes a speech saying she's already a woman, and gives her some advice for her future life; later she dances a waltz with some boys her age (which they have rehearsed for a few weeks) and then she dances one more waltz with her father and close male relatives (her brothers, uncles, a very good friend of her parents, etc.).

More modern celebrations are held in nightclubs with only the girl's friends and there is no ceremony at all.

@chanman: "quinceañera" is the girl who is fifteen years old. The party is called "fiesta de quince años".
Old April 06, 2009, 07:57 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Yes. I have the knowledge that it's named Quisiañera in my country and any places. But when a boy reached the fifteen years old the mostly of the boys does a party with his friends. I really never have a party and anything above it. But it does not matter the important is enjoy his life with his family and friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
@Jessica: I don't know in other countries, but in Mexico the only ones who celebrate their fifteenth birthday are girls. Historically, it was a ceremony to "introduce" a young lady to society, in a way to say she was already a woman and should be treated as an adult from then on. It was also some sort of "permission" to suitors that would visit her in order to find a good candidate for her to marry.

In modern times, it's only a party to celebrate that the girl has left childhood behind, and of course, there are not many parents who want their daughters to be married so young anymore.

Traditional party include a religious ceremony. The guests are usually the whole family, the parents' friends and the girl's friends. Her father or godfather makes a speech saying she's already a woman, and gives her some advice for her future life; later she dances a waltz with some boys her age (which they have rehearsed for a few weeks) and then she dances one more waltz with her father and close male relatives (her brothers, uncles, a very good friend of her parents, etc.).

More modern celebrations are held in nightclubs with only the girl's friends and there is no ceremony at all.

@chanman: "quinceañera" is the girl who is fifteen years old. The party is called "fiesta de quince años".
Do you like to write much right?

And you are right about the celebrate fifteenth party in Mexico it's very common between the girls who will complete fifteenth years old. They daces with people or uncles or cousins most close to her family during the ceremony she dances one waltz with anyone or other music ( Ten years ago ) I was a cousin with danced with my cousin. It's really very nice and pretty during the party the celebration is made in nightclubs as you said before or in a party room. Well I wanna telling to you two that the Quince años are very populate in Mexico oh right still I remember the fifteenth years of my cousin.

Last edited by Rusty; April 06, 2009 at 09:46 PM.
Old April 07, 2009, 02:57 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Spanish (spain)
Bolboreta is on a distinguished road
In Spain people in general doesn't celebrate the fifteenth-sixteenth birthday in a special way.

Only a few high-society families celebrate their daughter's "Puesta de largo". When the girl is fifteen, she is allowed to go to parties with a long dress. Younger girls have to wear short dresses.

In my own and personal opinion this is a very machist (?) celebration. The father of the girl gives her to a boy (I mean "se la entrega a un chico" ?). She is since that moment allowed to dance with men. The simbolism of the party is the one Angelica wrote: The girl is ready to get married, the father -her owner- allows her to.

Fortunately, it only happens in a few small decadent villages. The rest of the girls can dance whoever they want to and are able to wear what they want. Even trousers, my god!
Old April 07, 2009, 05:20 AM

thanks for the info ^_^
Old April 07, 2009, 06:09 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolboreta View Post
In Spain people in general doesn't celebrate the fifteenth-sixteenth birthday in a special way.

Only a few high-society families celebrate their daughter's "Puesta de largo". When the girl is fifteen, she is allowed to go to parties with a long dress. Younger girls have to wear short dresses.
Agree

Last edited by sosia; April 07, 2009 at 06:14 AM.
Old April 07, 2009, 09:31 AM
Emerald

Native Language: American English
Fazor is on a distinguished road
Interesting. It never occurred to me that a "Sweet sixteen" type celebration may actually be different ages in different cultures, even though it makes perfect sense. I guess you learn something new every day.
Old April 07, 2009, 01:06 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazor View Post
Interesting. It never occurred to me that a "Sweet sixteen" type celebration may actually be different ages in different cultures, even though it makes perfect sense. I guess you learn something new every day.
Yes. Also I never have heard that term about sweet sixteen. Only I have heard and I have knowledge about the fifteenth years that is celebrated when the girls have sufficient age.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: