Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Culture

Quince Años party

Questions about culture and cultural differences between countries and languages.

Old April 10, 2009, 01:16 AM
Emerald

Native Language: spanish
lee ying is on a distinguished road
don't you have enough friends? what about classroom’s friends?(∩_∩)

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old March 20, 2010, 07:19 AM
Pearl

Native Language: Castillan spanish
explorator is on a distinguished road
Just dig a little, and you will find the Ancient Rome culture in the Spanish culture: In the Ancient Rome, children used to wear a short white and red toga, called "toga praetexta" (it is the same name and colors of the senators one). It meant that they had to have the same respect than the Roman senators. Well, once the boys and girls, grew up enough to be considered adult, they had a celebration and started to wear adult clothes. Although I haven't heard about such kind of celebrations in today's Spain, their presence in America, reminds me the Ancient Rome traditions.
Old March 20, 2010, 08:09 AM
Pearl

Native Language: inglés/ British English
Here4good is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolboreta View Post
In Spain people in general doesn't celebrate the fifteenth-sixteenth birthday in a special way.
That's true, but it might be making a come back!! Where I live, near Madrid, there are a lot of South American immigrants, especially Ecuadorians. My daughter has been invited to two 15 year old parties, as a "dama de honor" I think it was, which for the girl in question I'm sure was a wonderful occasion, but for us was a pain in the ****!
My daughter on both occasions was supposed to wear a specific dress, which we had to pay for, had to go to rehearsals for the dances which we had to take her to (and she was supposed to be studying for exams), dress fittings etc etc and we had to organise transport because both times it wasn't held in our town. One of the invitations came with a card with a bank account number on it that we were "invited" to pay into for the girl in question! We had to say "no" to a couple of things (like finding a yellow dress in November in Madrid)
I think it's a lovely idea to have a special party for your daughter, but I also think you should think about the people you're inviting and take that into account. The parties were expensive and time consuming for us.
Old March 20, 2010, 10:29 AM
Pearl

Native Language: English English!
xchic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4good View Post
That's true, but it might be making a come back!! Where I live, near Madrid, there are a lot of South American immigrants, especially Ecuadorians. My daughter has been invited to two 15 year old parties, as a "dama de honor" I think it was, which for the girl in question I'm sure was a wonderful occasion, but for us was a pain in the ****!
My daughter on both occasions was supposed to wear a specific dress, which we had to pay for, had to go to rehearsals for the dances which we had to take her to (and she was supposed to be studying for exams), dress fittings etc etc and we had to organise transport because both times it wasn't held in our town. One of the invitations came with a card with a bank account number on it that we were "invited" to pay into for the girl in question! We had to say "no" to a couple of things (like finding a yellow dress in November in Madrid)
I think it's a lovely idea to have a special party for your daughter, but I also think you should think about the people you're inviting and take that into account. The parties were expensive and time consuming for us.

Your daughter didn't have a quince then?

My 14 year old has decided that she wants one - then she thinks that by the time she's 16 we can move back to the US so that she can have a sweet 16 - then by the time she's 18 back to the UK for her 18th!!

She has a good imagination - and she can dream!
Old March 20, 2010, 05:59 PM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xchic View Post
Your daughter didn't have a quince then?
No, I don't know of any Spanish girl having it, only South Americans. TBH it didn't even cross my mind...
Old March 20, 2010, 11:31 PM
Pearl

Native Language: English English!
xchic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Here4good View Post
No, I don't know of any Spanish girl having it, only South Americans. TBH it didn't even cross my mind...
We have a lot of South Americans in this area, so there are a few going to be happening.

It didn't cross my mind either - until my daughter brought it up. I keep telling her it's not actually Spanish
Old March 24, 2010, 11:31 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
I've never had a birthday party in my life :P When I turn 16...no party just an ordinary day
Old March 24, 2010, 11:40 AM
Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I've never had a birthday party in my life :P When I turn 16...no party just an ordinary day
¿En tu familia no se suele celebrar los cumpleaños?

¿Te gustaría celebrar de alguna forma?
Old March 26, 2010, 01:07 PM
Diamond

Native Language: English
Elaina will become famous soon enough
Jessica,

¿Porqué tu familia no celebra cumpleaños o Navidad o algun otro día feriado?

A lo que dices tampoco van de vacaciones, etc.

¿Es algo cultural? Si no lo es, entonces ¿porqué tu no tratas de hacerlo y los empujas a ellos a participar? Tu eres expuesta a otra cultura por ir a la escuela pero a lo mejor ellos necesitan ayuda y no saben por donde empezar. Alguna vez te ¿has sentado a platicar con ellos y "bajita la mano" te informas del porqué de sus acciones?

A lo mejor es solo falta de comunicación o entendimiento.

¡Buena suerte!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: