Old February 18, 2009, 06:44 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Question Chiles rellenos

What would this be in English?

something with chili peppers

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 18, 2009, 07:01 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Stuffed peppers
Old February 20, 2009, 01:40 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Rusty. If you know this. How I shall to say at English ( Cochinita pibil, and Mole poblano)

I appreciate so much your advice.
Old February 20, 2009, 02:49 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
Rusty, If you know this, how shall I say Cochinita pibil and Mole poblano in English?

I appreciate your advice very much.
In the U.S., Mexican restaurants often leave the names of these dishes untranslated. Aquí suelen dejar los platillos en su idioma original los restaurantes mexicanos.

Those of us who frequent Mexican restaurants have learned that mole is a chili sauce made with chocolate and peanuts. We have learned the various names for peppers, like poblano, habanero, ancho and jalapeño.
We can describe the dishes to our friends, but we always order the food with the Mexican name.

I have never seen Cochinita Pibil on a menu before, so I had to look it up. For us English speakers who may find it on a menu some day, there is a good definition of the dish here. It sounds very good.

Cochinita = suckling pig (baby pig)
pibil = the Mayan word for buried
The dish's name comes from the original method of cooking the pig - buried in a pit with coals in it.

Trust me, we would much rather order Cochinita Pibil than Buried Suckling Pig any day! This is one good reason dishes are left in their original tongue.
Old February 20, 2009, 03:45 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Yeah. As you said the real name of the dishes Suckling pig is mostly named as Cochinita Pibil. It here in my country is a dishes very populate ofter in Merida and Campeche where I live. The named of the dishes were gave for the Mayas. And as you said before trust me it is very delicious more in my city there Tortas de Cochinita although. It would can has much fat and much Tortas for you would can make you feel bad.

Anyhow the food's Mexican is very important in sundries regions of the whole world only that the Mexican people has sloppy the importation of the food's Mexican. But if you have any day some change to come to Mexico. I can recommend for excellent that you eat the Torta de Cochinita.

Thank for you comment above.
Old February 21, 2009, 05:10 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Inglés
Sancho Panther is on a distinguished road
Jchen, chata - I can't speak for transatlantic Spanish, but in Iberia chillis are called guindillas so they'd be guindillas rellenas in Spain. Really you couldn't eat guindillas rellenas, they'd be demasiado picantes! What you get in Spain are pimientos rellenos (stuffed peppers) and they're delicious!

For those umfamiliar with Iberian Spanish, chata is a widely used friendly form of address to young ladies - approximately equivalent to love or dearest in the UK or babe/hon in the US!

Last edited by Sancho Panther; February 21, 2009 at 08:32 AM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: