Old September 11, 2009, 06:26 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
The last book you have read.

The idea is to say the last book you have read(if you can in the language you are learning, if not is good too) and write something about it, a review, a phrase you liked, what appearence it gave to you, etc.

Please correct -if you can- the errors of the other.

I start:

Yesterday I re-read "El informe de Brodie" by J.L Borges. It's a book of short stories; almost all of them take place in the Buenos Aires of 18xx - 19xx, the Buenos Aires that Borges loved and that disappeared long ago. Now it's just another city like any other.
It, obviously, has excellent narration. Is very easy to read (compared with other books by the same author).
The excuse the tales offer are proseres, la hija de un proser, gauchos, espadas, campo, algún historiador en su cuarto, la memoria en una espada, la carta de un misionero, etc; The reason: us.

My edition is this.

Last edited by ookami; September 12, 2009 at 07:11 AM.
Old September 11, 2009, 06:52 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
The idea is to say the last book you have read(if you can in the language you are learning, if not is good too) and write something about it, a review, a phrase you liked, what appearence it gave to you, etc.

Please correct -if you can- the errors of the other.

I start:

Yesterday I have re-read (is ok? 'releí') "El informe de Brodie" from J.L Borges. It's a book made by of short stories and almost all of them take place in the Buenos Aires of 18xx - 19xx, the Buenos Aires that Borges loved and that have disapeared long time ago. Now it's just another city as the like others. (can I use pile here? to say "como las del montón")
It's, obviously, excellented narrated It obviously have excellent narration; and is very easy to read (compared with others books of the same author).
The excuse the tales offer are proseres, la hija de un proser, gauchos, espadas, campo, algún historiador en su cuarto, la memoria en una espada, la carta de un misionero, etc; The reason: us.

My edition is this.

Last book I read was Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry receives a warning from a strange and impish creature who says that if Harry returns to Hogwarts, disaster will strike.
Old September 11, 2009, 08:50 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
I have never finished any book, I'd like to know about book from ventures.
Old September 11, 2009, 09:05 PM
Sapphire

Thanks Sofía

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
I have never finished any book, I'd like to know about book from ventures.
There are tons, maybe if you are more specific.
"Robinson Crusoe", Daniel Defoe ?
"La isla del tesoro", Robert Louis Stevenson ?
"La ilíada" - "La Odisea", Homero ?
Old September 12, 2009, 02:18 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
Yesterday I have re-read "El informe de Brodie" by J.L Borges. It's a book of short stories; almost all of them take place in the Buenos Aires of 18xx - 19xx, the Buenos Aires that Borges loved and that have disappeared long time ago. Now it's just another city like any others.
It, obviously, has excellent narration. It's very easy to read (compared with other
s books by the same author).
The
excuse the tales offer are proseres, la hija de un proser, gauchos, espadas, campo, algún historiador en su cuarto, la memoria en una espada, la carta de un misionero, etc; The reason: us.
En inglés dos frases con verbos principales deben separarse con ; o . (o si hay una relación de causalidad, :) y no con ,.
"The Buenos Aires of 18xx-19xx" está bien, pace Sofía; también se puede decir "Bueno Aires in 18xx-19xx".
"Long ago" o "A long time ago".
Old September 12, 2009, 03:04 AM
The Rebel Fairy

Native Language: Spanish
María José is on a distinguished road
I'm reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' because I loved 'The Kite Runner' by the same author.Khaled Hoseini. I wonder if I spelled that right...
Old September 12, 2009, 04:04 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by María José View Post
I'm reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' because I loved 'The Kite Runner' by the same author.Khaled Hoseini. I wonder if I spelled that right...
Parece bien. A mí no me gustó Cometas en el cielo pero era evidente que Hoseini es un narrador muy fuerte, así que después de apostar por leer Mil soles resplandecidos en mi club de lectura sin éxito durante un par de meses lo leí en un mes cuando el libro escogido era bastante corto. De hecho, es posible que fue el último libro que terminé.

Actualmente estoy leyendo Ejercicios de estilo de Raymond Queneau. Es un libro experimental que cuenta una historia muy sencilla un montón de veces, en estilos diferentes: en el perfecto, en el imperfecto, en el presente, en una carta formal, en una soneta, ¡en exclamaciones!, etc. La mayoría de las versiones son menos de una página.
Old September 12, 2009, 04:14 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Pues como tengo que leer libros obligatorios en inglés, ahora estoy leyendo The importance of being Ernest, de Oscar Wilde. En español he empezado a leer Ángeles y demonios, de Dan Brown.
Old September 12, 2009, 07:15 AM
Sapphire

Well, I have just started:

And I have just finished it. It's a nice book to use as an introduction to nordic mythology. The next step is trying to read "The Eddas"
----------------------------
Thanks pjt33. This sentence:

II'm trying to say:
La excusa que las historias presentan son ....; el motivo: nosotros.

PD: the title is "the last book you have read" not "the book you are reading", but it's ok; maybe we can change the title to "the books you are reading and have finished."

Last edited by ookami; September 12, 2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old September 12, 2009, 07:41 AM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
Breaking Dawn, by Stephanie Meyers.

Edward and Bella are married, and suddenly, Bella is pregnant. But it's no ordinary child. It's killing her.

Last edited by Jessica; September 13, 2009 at 08:55 AM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: