Old November 05, 2012, 05:59 PM
Emerald

Native Language: English
Glen is on a distinguished road
Community Partnership for Pets

A spay-and-neuter group. How about Asociación Comunitaria por parte de las Mascotas? My main doubt is the word "for." The original (poor) translation had it as "de," meaning the group was comprised of the pets themselves and not of the people who are concerned about them. I'm thinking of "for" in this case as meaning "on behalf of," so does por parte de work or is there something better?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old November 05, 2012, 06:37 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
"Por parte de las mascotas" sounds to me as if the pets were organizing to make such group.

I'd rather suggest something like:
- Asociación Comunitaria para (las) mascotas.
- Asociación Comunitaria en pro de las mascotas.
- Asociación Comunitaria en favor de las mascotas.

Oh, by the way... in Mexico, the word "mascota" is falling into the categories of "politically incorrect", and people on TV are starting to rather say "animales de compañía". (I, personally, find it unnecessary, but just to leave the note here.)
Old November 05, 2012, 06:56 PM
Emerald

Glen is on a distinguished road
"Para los..." (to include both males and females) sounds good, and was actually my first instinct before trying the other. Thanks. What's the harm in "mascotas," by the way?

Last edited by Glen; November 05, 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old November 05, 2012, 11:57 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Pos que no son maslagas...

Sorry, I couldn't refrain from making the stupid pun...

Hopefully Angélica has the real reason for it... (in Spain they are usually called "animales domésticos" or "animales de compañía"... but also "mascotas"...)
Old November 06, 2012, 11:07 AM
Obsidiana

Some people think that the term "mascota", hides contempt, as you'd consider these animals, "just animals" and, therefore, feel entitled to mistreat them. There are many cases of dogs abandoned out on the roof of a house, ill-fed ones that either become overweight or skinny, animals that never get vaccines or any kind of medical attention, let apart those that are regularly beaten; so, the media have been advocating for a change in the language to show animals a little more consideration or even affection. (An old idea that a change of mind and attitude starts with a change of language.)

The sad thing is that I see people everyday who will soon be massively rejecting the words "animal", "cat" or "dog", as they seem to care more for their pets than for any human around them (sometimes including their own children), so maybe there will be a new change in such language as well.
Old November 06, 2012, 11:29 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelicaDeAlquezar View Post
Some people think that the term "mascota", hides contempt, as you'd consider these animals, "just animals" and, therefore, feel entitled to mistreat them. There are many cases of dogs abandoned out on the roof of a house, ill-fed ones that either become overweight or skinny, animals that never get vaccines or any kind of medical attention, let apart(I would use let alone or not to mention) those that are regularly beaten; so, the media(although media is plural for medium, in USA English it is often treated as singular, and to my American ears the medi has sounds better than the media have. It would be interesting to see the opinion of British speakers) have been advocating for a change in the language to show animals a little more consideration or even affection. (An old idea that a change of mind and attitude starts with a change of language.)

The sad thing is that I see people everyday (I would use every day as opposed to everyday. Every day means todos los día and everyday is an adjective meaning something like como cualquier o cotidiano) who will soon be massively rejecting the words "animal", "cat" or "dog", as they seem to care more for their pets than for any human around them (sometimes including their own children), so maybe there will be a new change in such language as well.
Hay gente que no sabe que los humanos son animales tambien. En inglés
la palabra mascot no significa mascota aunque imagino que en el pasado
eran (should I have used subjunctive here?) synónimos.
Old November 06, 2012, 11:42 AM
Obsidiana

Thank you for the corrections!
I should have been attentive to "every day"/"everyday".

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
Hay gente que no sabe que los humanos son animales también. En inglés la palabra mascot no significa mascota aunque imagino que en el pasado eran (should I have used subjunctive here?) sinónimos.
Subjunctive is not needed. You could have also said:
- ...aunque imagino que en el pasado sí pueden haber sido sinónimos. (Remote possibility)
- ...aunque imagino que en el pasado sí pudieran haber sido sinónimos. (Even more remote possibility)
Old November 06, 2012, 11:53 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Precisamente anoche me estaba leyendo este "Patente de Corso" del Sr. Reverte, "La perra de color canela"

http://www.perezreverte.com/articulo...-color-canela/

Me parece, (como todo lo de Don Arturo) un artículo excelente...

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: