Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Technical things

How to attach an image or other file to a post

Technical "how-to" issues concerning using this site and language learning in general.

Old September 21, 2009, 05:42 PM
Davidísimo

Native Language: American English
Tomisimo will become famous soon enoughTomisimo will become famous soon enough
How to attach an image or other file to a post

How do I attach a file or image to a post?

To attach a file to a post, you need to be using the main "New Post" or "New Thread" page and not "Quick Reply". To get there from the "Quick Reply" or "Quick Edit" forms, use the "Go Advanced" button. You can also use the "Post Reply" button when viewing a thread to get to the "New Post" page.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labeled "Manage Attachments". Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. You can also click the Attachment Icon (the paper clip icon in the editor ) to open this page.

The "Manage Attachments" Button  The Paper Clip Icon  The "Manage Attachments" Window 
 Click image for larger version

Name:	manage-attachments-button.png
Views:	118
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	257  Click image for larger version

Name:	paperclip-icon.png
Views:	109
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	258  Click image for larger version

Name:	attachments-window.png
Views:	109
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	256 

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

Where will my attached files show up?

The files you have attached will automatically show up at the bottom of your post. If you want to include them somewhere in the middle of your post, you can use the Attachments Menu (the paper clip icon) in the editor to insert them where you want.

If you uploaded an *.mp3 file, it will automatically show up in a audio player at the end of your post so people can listen to it right there, without downloading it.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. Current limits are: (as of Sept 2009)

Filetype  Max Filesize  Max Width  Max Height 
  bmp  19.5 KB  620px  280px 
  doc  293 KB  —  — 
  gif  293 KB  —  — 
  jpg  500 KB  1024  800 
  mp3  1 MB  —  — 
  pdf  293 KB  —  — 
  png  293 KB  1024  800 
  psd  293 KB  —  — 
  swf  195 KB  —  — 
  txt  98 KB  —  — 
  wav  98 KB  —  — 
  zip  500 KB  —  — 

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click on the "Attachments Icon" (the paper clip) in the editor and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing [IMG] before the URL and [/IMG] after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. This method is not preferred.

You can insert pictures from your albums using the [IMG] bb code tag as well.

The [IMGR] tag also exists. It works the same as the [IMG] tag, but the image is floated to the right of the text in your post.

Bookmark this thread at:

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: