Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Translations
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Go together neat as a pigeon pie

If you need help translating a sentence or longer piece of text, use this forum. For translations or definitions of a single word or idiom, use the vocabulary forum.

Old January 28, 2011, 12:06 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Question Go together neat as a pigeon pie

neat as pigeon pie: a coined phrase meaning extremely neat. (Pigeon pie is a type of pie made from the meat of pigeons.)

Context:
These three things all go together
neat as a pigeon pie—all three of them. They go hand in glove.

I have not put this question in the Idioms section because it is more a translation thing, but maybe it is just my ignorance of the pertinent idiom.

My question here is, do we have in Spanish an expression like "van como anillo al dedo" that could easily apply to 3 elements?

I just remembered (as I was writting) "vaya tres patas para un banco"... well, if you have a good idea or a known Spanish expression that is fairly colloquial or more or less popular... Well, I'll be grateful!

(I just see that the English original, "hand in glove" is only 2 elements... but, well, maybe there is some expression with a "tricornio" a three-cornered hat, or some such that may work...)

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 28, 2011, 01:27 PM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
Neat as a pin is the one I knew.
Old January 29, 2011, 02:28 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBINDESBOIS View Post
Neat as a pin is the one I knew.
That means clean and tidy, rather than fitting together. The pigeon pie one is new to me, and seems totally illogical. If things are fitting together, you expect a plural (e.g. alike as two peas in a pod; they go together like a horse and cart) - one pigeon pie makes no sense.
Old January 29, 2011, 10:56 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Thank you both... Yup, looks like the "expression" being "coined" on an impromptu speech may make no sense out of context... (unless explained)

I was looking for something in Spanish that could be fitting... like "van tan bien como el chocolate con los churros" or "el ajo con el aceite (alioli)" or "van tan bien como "las gambas y el ajillo... con un poco de perejil..."

Any additional ideas (or good associations) are welcome...

At any rate, your views are always valuable to me!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: