Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques

Where to study Spanish in Spain?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Closed Thread

Old January 28, 2013, 11:55 AM
Emerald

Native Language: inglés y español).
Villa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santenello View Post
Hello,

My girlfriend and I are looking to spend the next three months studying Spanish in Spain. We would like to be near the Mediterranean so Valencia looks good to us, but I also know they also have a different dialect.

We want to be in a place with many things going on since we will be there for three months. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you,
Peter
Hola Santenello. My sister's father-in-law is from Valencia. He is bi-lingual and speaks both standard Spanish and Valencian which is actually a dialect of Catalan. And of course Catalan is not a dialect of Spanish but actually a separate language. Realated to Spanish of course because it comes from Latin. The father-in-law tells and interesting story about when he first came to the U.S. he got a job in an Italian restaurant and was able to speak Italian or communicate with the Italian workers using his Catalan. The Italians said: "Look, a long lost cousin!"

Last edited by Villa; January 28, 2013 at 12:01 PM.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old February 28, 2013, 12:19 AM
Opal

jazzalbert02 is on a distinguished road
There are several websites that provide you online courses and Spanish schools in Valencia. I do not recommend any website, you just find a reputable and authentic online website that can assist you learn the Spanish language.
Old March 01, 2013, 02:12 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
Missed this one the first time round, and it's too late to help the OP, but other people might find it through Google so I'll chip in a couple of comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santenello View Post
Have you been to Valencia? Is it a good feel there with the people? Are they open to foreigners?
People in Valencia aren't very open, full stop. It's not just foreigners: I've heard the same thing from an Andaluz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosvilas View Post
In Valencia and Catalonia there is a co-official language, Valenciano or Catalan, and it may confuse you a little bit.
This is true to an extent. In the city of Valencia there's quite a lot of written valencià, but it's fairly unusual to hear it spoken except at political events and set phrases at cultural events (Senyor pirotècnic, pot començar la mascletà).
Old November 20, 2013, 02:36 PM
Opal

AdeSlater is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I studied and worked in Malaga - pure Andalusian Spanish but with a lot less English speaking people of my age. Also by working I HAD to speak Spanish.

After a six week period I came back with enough Spanish to be able to have a reasonable conversation as long as it was in an area I knew about but that was OK for what I wanted (tourism).

Last edited by Rusty; November 20, 2013 at 03:57 PM. Reason: removed link
Old March 13, 2014, 03:01 PM
Opal

bilengua is on a distinguished road
Try Pamplona. My friends went there in Summer of '13 and loved it.
Closed Thread

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: