Old September 25, 2013, 08:53 AM
Opal

Native Language: German
Judith is on a distinguished road
Post Apreciativos oh fun

Moin :-)
My today's grammar chapter is about aumentativos, diminutivos and despectivos. Great, because there seems to be no rule when a word can be considered rather a compliment than an offense. And sometimes I have no idea what the word is supposed to mean at all
I wrote down some examples and hope some of you might help

1. ¡Qué calladita estás!
Is calladita here meant positive or negative? or is both possible depending on the context?
I know "calladita estás muy guapa" but this is just misogynous D:

2. Es un angelote.
Yes, I googled it. And found numerous translations, like a chubby child, a nice guy, some kind of fish.
So on my next date, when I'll call Mr Hottie un angelote. Will he be offended or delighted?

3. ¡Qué manazas tiene el tío!
No idea!
I found desmañado...??? Hm actually now it seems to make sense in German we have something similar "zwei linke Hände haben"
Does this only apply to tíos only? or women too? ;-)

4. Well those hundreds words for woman. Not sure what the difference is.
"La mujeruca recoge las cestas."
Does that mean she is old? or mental?
"Era una mujerona bastante peligrosa"
Sort of a Mannsweib? virago??? wth

Thank you for everything

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 25, 2013, 02:32 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
You can only know the intention of a modified word depending on the tone, the context, the situation in which it is used. Without any context, it's impossible to tell.

Some more comments below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith View Post
1. ¡Qué calladita estás!
Is calladita here meant positive or negative? or is both possible depending on the context? The use of a diminutive with an adjective usually underlines the quality expressed by such adjective. Only the context can say whether this is a reproach, an unusual situation, a sarcasm on how this people has been talking...
I know "calladita estás muy guapa" but this is just misogynous D: (It depends on the intention with wich is said: if you are talking about women who shouldn't express an opinion ever, then yes, it is misogynous. But if you are only telling someone not to talk at a specific moment when it wouldn't be prudent, then it can just either be a good advice or an arbitrary order.)

2. Es un angelote.
Yes, I googled it. And found numerous translations, like a chubby child, a nice guy, some kind of fish.
So on my next date, when I'll call Mr Hottie un angelote. Will he be offended or delighted? This is to talk about someone who is extremely kind or too naive; only context and tone can define whether the man will take it as a compliment or as an insult.

3. ¡Qué manazas tiene el tío!
No idea!
I found desmañado...??? Hm actually now it seems to make sense in German we have something similar "zwei linke Hände haben" Calling someone "un manazas" (please note the difference) means that they are extremely clumsy, but your sentence here is simply emphasizing the size of the hands of a man.
Does this only apply to tíos only? or women too? ;-) It is unusual that a woman is noticed because of the big size of her hands, but it might happen.
Our Spanish members would be more qualified to make a longer note on "ser un manazas", because it is not used in Mexico, so I only know what I just wrote.

4. Well those hundreds words for woman. Not sure what the difference is.
"La mujeruca recoge las cestas." Definitely a pejorative. The idea I get is a small, fragile, thin woman. Probably, but not necessarily: old and slovenly.
Does that mean she is old? or mental?
"Era una mujerona bastante peligrosa" Depending on the context, either a compliment or a pejorative. She's physically big and/or has an impressive personality
Sort of a Mannsweib? virago??? wth

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: