Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Tissue papers

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old January 11, 2015, 12:07 AM
Emerald

Xinfu is on a distinguished road
Tissue papers

Is it correct to use the plural form here? I can find no answer from dictionaries.

-Don't take tissue papers from the cubicles. (=the place where you find toilets) They are very often dirty. If you go to restaurants, get some more tissue papers for future use. They are cleaner.
Old January 11, 2015, 01:28 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Your sentences are probably fine, but I don't exactly understand them.

Tissue paper, at least in the US, is used to wrap articles.
(Facial) tissues are used to blow one's nose.
Toilet paper is used to clean up after using the toilet.
Toilets, the fixtures, are found in bathrooms/restrooms, along with a sink/wash basin and a mirror. Some restrooms offer facial tissues. All have toilet paper.
Restaurants have restrooms, equipped as described above. They offer napkins at the table, used to clean one's mouth and fingers while eating.

White collar workers work in cubicles, where they have a chair, a desk, overhead bins for storage, a light, drawers/compartments for storage under the desk and a computer on the desk beside the telephone (at a minimum).

Most people in the US have their own plentiful supplies of (facial) tissues, napkins and toilet paper, which are easily purchased at stores.
Getting them from elsewhere is probably only done by a very small portion of the population who can't afford to buy them on their own. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I'm trying to understand what the sentences mean.

facial tissue
toilet paper
napkins
cubicles
restrooms

Last edited by Rusty; January 11, 2015 at 01:38 AM.
Old January 11, 2015, 09:59 PM
Emerald

Thank you. But would this be what is meant by 'tissue papers' in the US?

https://www.google.com.hk/search?q=t...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
Old January 11, 2015, 11:38 PM
Opal

islandhogan is on a distinguished road
Hola
My first post to this forum.
Rusty I have read several of your post and you do a great job helping people learn. Here, however, I think it wasn't a cultural question, more so a question about the plural of tissue and/or paper. The examples sound like what would be given to someone traveling and not at their home. We often grab a few pieces of "tissue" or napkins when we are traveling to have in our pockets just in case. We are off to Mexico next week and we do carry tissue with us.
Xinfu. I am a native American English speaker. In my experience many people do call the paper used in the toilet "tissue paper." or just tissue. Someone might ask, " you got any more tissue?" , but regional differences may vary, "Toilet tissue" is perhaps the most common phrase. And, yes, there is facial tissue and tissue paper which is used for wrapping.
The area where a toilet is located in a public washroom, is sometines called a cubicle but more often a "stall".
The plural of tiisue paper is tissue paper. If you were asked to buy some tissue paper you would not be expected to only buy a single sheet but probably several roles. Paper is taken to be singular and plural. Do you need one piece of paper, or a few pieces? It is the modifier that often defines singular or plural. Someone may say, "Bring some paper with you to write on" meaning several pieces ( a notebook). However "papers" is also correct as in "Collect all you papers and let's go."
Wow! Complicated learning a language. Now I see why my old brain is having trouble with Espanol.
Gracias

Xinfu
Just looked at your Google link. Basically, yes. Except there is a photo there of what most here would call "paper towels", that is the heavier and larger roles of paper used for drying hands and cleaning.

Last edited by AngelicaDeAlquezar; January 12, 2015 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Merged back-to-back posts
Old January 12, 2015, 04:31 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandhogan View Post
Hola
My first post to this forum.
Rusty I have read several of your post and you do a great job helping people learn. Here, however, I think it wasn't a cultural question, more so a question about the plural of tissue and/or paper. The examples sound like what would be given to someone traveling and not at their home. We often grab a few pieces of "tissue" or napkins when we are traveling to have in our pockets just in case. We are off to Mexico next week and we do carry tissue with us.
Xinfu. I am a native American English speaker. In my experience many people do call the paper used in the toilet "tissue paper." or just tissue. Someone might ask, " you got any more tissue?" , but regional differences may vary, "Toilet tissue" is perhaps the most common phrase. And, yes, there is facial tissue and tissue paper which is used for wrapping.
The area where a toilet is located in a public washroom, is sometines called a cubicle but more often a "stall".
The plural of tiisue paper is tissue paper. If you were asked to buy some tissue paper you would not be expected to only buy a single sheet but probably several roles. Paper is taken to be singular and plural. Do you need one piece of paper, or a few pieces? It is the modifier that often defines singular or plural. Someone may say, "Bring some paper with you to write on" meaning several pieces ( a notebook). However "papers" is also correct as in "Collect all you papers and let's go."
Wow! Complicated learning a language. Now I see why my old brain is having trouble with Espanol.
Gracias

Xinfu
Just looked at your Google link. Basically, yes. Except there is a photo there of what most here would call "paper towels", that is the heavier and larger roles of paper used for drying hands and cleaning.
Thank you. But why would human beings have to use tissue paper for wrapping? What are they going to wrap with tissue paper?
Old January 12, 2015, 09:26 AM
Opal

islandhogan is on a distinguished road
To me this is absolutely wonderful! I have spent a lot of time in the last few years, as a tourist, asking similar questions of Spanish speakers. I now realize this goes both ways.Tissue is just a term or word. Words are just mutually agreed upon sounds to describe things.
A rose by any other name is still a rose. I searched for the etymology of the term "tissue" and pasted it below. Tissue for wrapping is a piece of soft paper that is used to wrap something to protect it from damage. It is also part of the presentation of a gift. It seems more special and exciting if you have to remove layers of soft paper to reveal the gift. Often this will be used inside of a gift box, package or other wrapping paper. I hope this helps.http://www.shutterstock.com/s/%22tis...22/search.html

tissue (n.) mid-14c., "band or belt of rich material," from Old French tissu "a ribbon, headband, belt of woven material" (c.1200), noun use of tissu "woven, interlaced," past participle of tistre "to weave," from Latin texere "to weave, to make" (see texture (n.)). The biological sense is first recorded 1831, from French, introduced c.1800 by French anatomist Marie-François-Xavier Bichal (1771-1802). Meaning "piece of absorbent paper used as a handkerchief" is from 1929. Tissue-paper is from 1777, supposedly so called because it was made to be placed between tissues to protect them.
Old January 12, 2015, 12:12 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinfu View Post
Thank you. But why would human beings have to use tissue paper for wrapping? What are they going to wrap with tissue paper?
In the US it is common to wrap some types of gifts, especially fragile items, fine jewelry, and some types of clothing, in decorative tissue paper before placing the items inside a gift box. The gift box may then be wrapped with a stronger decorative gift wrap and ribbons. The tissue paper may help to cushion the gift inside the box and reduce the risk of accidental damage before the recipient opens the gift.

Sometimes a few small gifts are wrapped in tissue paper and then placed in a decorative bag instead of using a box and gift paper.
Old January 13, 2015, 03:42 AM
Emerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Your sentences are probably fine, but I don't exactly understand them.

Tissue paper, at least in the US, is used to wrap articles.
(Facial) tissues are used to blow one's nose.
Toilet paper is used to clean up after using the toilet.
Toilets, the fixtures, are found in bathrooms/restrooms, along with a sink/wash basin and a mirror. Some restrooms offer facial tissues. All have toilet paper.
Restaurants have restrooms, equipped as described above. They offer napkins at the table, used to clean one's mouth and fingers while eating.

White collar workers work in cubicles, where they have a chair, a desk, overhead bins for storage, a light, drawers/compartments for storage under the desk and a computer on the desk beside the telephone (at a minimum).

Most people in the US have their own plentiful supplies of (facial) tissues, napkins and toilet paper, which are easily purchased at stores.
Getting them from elsewhere is probably only done by a very small portion of the population who can't afford to buy them on their own. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I'm trying to understand what the sentences mean.

facial tissue
toilet paper
napkins
cubicles
restrooms
Then is it correct to use 'tissue paper' for the thing we use to blow our noses, clean up the tabe, etc.?

-Do you have tissue papers?
-I forgot to bring tissue papers with me today.
Old January 13, 2015, 06:03 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
No, not in the US. That is phrasing I have never heard and would never use.

We do not use tissue paper to blow our noses. We do not use tissue paper to wipe up messes.

Apparently, looking up images of tissue paper gave you varied results. This must be because, in some people's opinions, facial tissue, toilet paper, paper towels, napkins and tissue paper can all be classified as tissue paper. Again, I have personally never heard of these various products being classified as the same thing. To me, they are all paper products, not tissue paper products.

The reason I provided names and images was so you could tell me what you mean by 'tissue paper'. Only one item, the tissue paper we use for wrapping gifts, is all I understood and I couldn't understand why you were asking what you were.

Napkins, paper towels and facial tissues are spoken of in plural form. We usually buy rolls of paper towels and toilet paper. We usually buy boxes or packages of facial tissues and napkins. The gift wrap (tissue paper) is usually bought in sheets, packaged together.
Old January 14, 2015, 06:25 AM
Emerald

Thank you. I will think about it.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: