Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Vocabulary
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Fruits and Vegetables

Ask about definitions or translations for Spanish or English words.

Old January 24, 2009, 05:54 AM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Fruits and Vegetables

The word Lechuga is translate as lettuce.

Someone could to tell me the pronunciation of all the fruits exiting in the this world.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 24, 2009, 08:00 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrOtALiTo View Post
The word lechuga is translated as lettuce.

Could someone to tell me the pronunciation of all the fruits existing in the this world?
Corrections above.

I don't think you meant to ask for the pronunciation of all the fruits. Perhaps you meant that you'd like to see the translations of other fruits. Certainly you don't expect anyone to list them all! That would be fruitless.

By the way, lettuce is a vegetable, not a fruit.

If you'd like to start a list of fruits and vegetables, I've a couple of suggestions. List only the names of fruits or vegetables that are grown in your country, in your native tongue. Sometimes there will be more than one name. List your country. If the fruit or vegetable is only found in a particular region of the world, it's possible that others have never seen it. In these cases, it would be nice to post a clear picture of the fruit or vegetable along with its native name and country. If you know the English translation, that may also be provided.

Other members could then add more information about the items: a translation, an alternate name, or another translation/name that is particular to their country. The well-known banana, for example, has many different names depending on which country you're from.
Old January 25, 2009, 10:35 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Inglés
Sancho Panther is on a distinguished road
Lechuga is lettuce it's true, but if you're in a frutería and you ask for una ensalda you will be offered a lettuce too; even though the dictionary tells us ensalada means salad.
Old January 26, 2009, 06:03 AM
Ankh-Morpork's citizen

Native Language: Spanish (Spain)
sosia has a spectacular aura aboutsosia has a spectacular aura about
Bienvenido a los foros Sancho Panther
Old January 26, 2009, 10:52 AM
Emerald

Native Language: Inglés
Sancho Panther is on a distinguished road
¡Gracias!
Old January 26, 2009, 08:23 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Crotalito, try this link: http://www.123teachme.com/learn_spanish/spanish_fruits - if you click on "view full vocabulary" it even gives you graphics of the different foods so that you can compare to see if it is the same as you are thinking.

A question about one veggie in particular. A Spanish-speaking friend was asking me what a "chinese onion" is called in English. We finally realized that she was referring to a scallion. In Spanish, would this merely be: "cebolla chino"?
Old January 26, 2009, 10:08 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
A scallion can also be called a spring onion, a green onion, or a salad onion. I believe all these are called una cebolleta in Spanish. But scallions describe two different species, so there may be other words.
Shallots are a close cousin. These are chalotes in Spanish.

EDIT: I just found this picture of una cebolla china (looks like a green onion to me).

Last edited by Rusty; January 26, 2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:39 PM
Diamond

I know, I can find other meaning of the fruits from internet, but as you have said Rusty, there are different meaning or distincts names for the fruits, for example in my town the Banana is named Platano, the watermelon is named Sandia and well, I'm very close of the know meanings all, then if you can contribute more information above then, I will be grateful with you, look, I want to know the following translate of these fruits, Melon, Guanabana, Pera, Tuna, and it between others fruits.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:45 PM
Diamond

I saw the post where you are saying this phrase or name of a fruit (scallion), according as the dictionary from Tomisimo the word scallion meaning chalote, I don't know, If it's accurate, I want suffice that is very important knows the meaning of scallion because, you have said that the word scallion is Cebolla China, I have understanding that the word Cebolla is translate as onion, then I'm confused with the correct translation about this food, then I'd like know his correct meaning, if you can provide more information, I will be happy with your answer.
Old January 27, 2009, 03:03 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Well, I was grocery shopping with my friend who is from Peru and her husband is Chinese/Peruvian. He called while we were shopping and asked for her to bring chinese onions. That's how the whole discussion started. She didn't know what to call them in English, but when we found the scallions (what I call "green onions"), she said that was what he wanted......

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: