Old September 28, 2009, 03:28 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Corn

I have many students who speak Spanish as their first language, including one whole class of students who are brand new to speaking English, about 80% of whom are from Spanish-speaking countries. Sometimes I try to say things to some of them in Spanish and they correct me (or simply give me a thumbs up).

This morning I was telling them about a Latino street fair I went to yesterday in DC. They said that I said everything right (!!!) except when I tried to describe to them the food that I ate. One of the things I had to eat was an ear of corn on a skewer ... the corn was rolled in a sauce and then cheese and then doused in katsup and mustard. MMMmmm....

Anyway - these kids couldn't understand the word "maíz". I thought that was weird. I always thought that "maíz" was the only word for corn - and most of us "gringos" seem to know it even those who don't speak any Spanish.....

After some discussion amongst the group of us, the girls to whom I was speaking decided that I must mean the word "elote". I thought that was interesting ... and I looked up "elote" later. And a lot of what I see is that it is a vulgar term. Eek!!

I don't want to use a vulgar term!! These girls (four sisters all in the same class that I teach) are from Mexico. They were thoroughly confused by the word "maíz" (no joke), but each immediately said "elote" when they realized I was talking about corn.

SOOOoooo ... to my Mexican Tomisimo friends ... tell me about this maíz vs. elote thing ... is it really the only word for corn in Mexico? What about the vulgar meaning of it ... is it offensive in certain contexts? How about in other countries ... are there places where "maíz" is the only acceptable word for corn and the other is ONLY vulgar? Help!

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 28, 2009, 03:44 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Maíz is the corn kernel, and it should be universally understood. I have no idea why they didn't understand.

"Elote" is the Mexican word for the ear of corn, and I have never heard the vulgar meaning you mentioned.

I know in some places of South America "maíz" is "choclo".
Old September 28, 2009, 03:50 PM
Diamond

Thanks, Malila. Anyone from any other Latin American country want to pipe in?
Old September 28, 2009, 04:13 PM
Emerald

Native Language: British English
brute is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
I have many students who speak Spanish as their first language, including one whole class of students who are brand new to speaking English, about 80% of whom are from Spanish-speaking countries. Sometimes I try to say things to some of them in Spanish and they correct me (or simply give me a thumbs up).

This morning I was telling them about a Latino street fair I went to yesterday in DC. They said that I said everything right (!!!) except when I tried to describe to them the food that I ate. One of the things I had to eat was an ear of corn on a skewer ... the corn was rolled in a sauce and then cheese and then doused in katsup and mustard. MMMmmm....

Anyway - these kids couldn't understand the word "maíz". I thought that was weird. I always thought that "maíz" was the only word for corn - and most of us "gringos" seem to know it even those who don't speak any Spanish.....

After some discussion amongst the group of us, the girls to whom I was speaking decided that I must mean the word "elote". I thought that was interesting ... and I looked up "elote" later. And a lot of what I see is that it is a vulgar term. Eek!!

I don't want to use a vulgar term!! These girls (four sisters all in the same class that I teach) are from Mexico. They were thoroughly confused by the word "maíz" (no joke), but each immediately said "elote" when they realized I was talking about corn.

SOOOoooo ... to my Mexican Tomisimo friends ... tell me about this maíz vs. elote thing ... is it really the only word for corn in Mexico? What about the vulgar meaning of it ... is it offensive in certain contexts? How about in other countries ... are there places where "maíz" is the only acceptable word for corn and the other is ONLY vulgar? Help!
I think it is a common phenomemon, that farm produce worldwide is often named by the indigenous farmers. When a country is conquered by a larger one, these names are different to those used by the conqueror.

English foods, particularly meats, still have names of Saxon and Norman
origin, depending upon the state of the animal concerned. The live animals in the field still have Germanic sounding names, but by the time it reaches the table of the Lord of the manor it would have a French sounding name.

cow (Kuh), swine (Schwein), lamb (Lamm), sheep (Schaf) hen (Henne)...

When cooked they become:

veal (veau) pork (porc), mutton (mouton) poultry (poulet) etc..

These differences have survived for nearly 1000 years!!

It is not surprising that indigenous names for fruit and veg still survive in Latin America after a mere 500 years of Spanish influence. I would like to see a list of all the common foodstuffs in Spanish and all its regional varients. Do these words also change from farm to plate like the English ones I have quoted?

Incidently the word corn is commonly used to represent Wheat. Maize we tend to call Sweetcorn or corn on the cob

Last edited by brute; September 28, 2009 at 04:17 PM.
Old September 28, 2009, 04:58 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Choclo in Chile. :-)

Of course maíz is the correct word in Castilian.
Old September 28, 2009, 05:48 PM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
Choclo in Chile. :-)

Of course maíz is the proper word.
Referring back to Malila's comment, do you mean that maíz is the kernel and the choclo is the ear? Is "elote" vulgar in Chile?
Old September 28, 2009, 05:58 PM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I suppose that anything longer than it's wide can be seen as a phallic symbol. Sometimes school kids make up there own "bad"
words. It's just silliness. MAIZ, ELOTE, CHOCLO are all valid words.
Incidentally mazorca is corn on the cob.
Old September 28, 2009, 06:27 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by laepelba View Post
Referring back to Malila's comment, do you mean that maíz is the kernel and the choclo is the ear? Is "elote" vulgar in Chile?
We don't use elote in Chile, only choclo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poli View Post
I suppose that anything longer than it's wide can be seen as a phallic symbol. Sometimes school kids make up there own "bad"
words. It's just silliness. MAIZ, ELOTE, CHOCLO are all valid words.
Incidentally mazorca is corn on the cob.
Correct. Choclo in Chile.
Old September 28, 2009, 06:51 PM

Native Language: English, Chinese
Jessica is on a distinguished road
I've learned it as maíz...and I used to pronouncee it as ma(i)ze.
Old September 29, 2009, 06:08 AM
Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
I've learned it as maíz...and I used to pronouncee it as ma(i)ze.
But which, Jessica - the kernels or the whole cob? As has been pointed out, there are different words for different things in Spanish, where in English we have just one word, "corn", that covers all of those things.... Ask your Spanish teacher what s/he thinks....

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: