Old June 11, 2010, 10:41 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Spanish (Castilian, peninsular)
JPablo is on a distinguished road
Question Godo

During the days of Simón Bolívar, the "Spaniards" were called (derogatorily) "Godos". (They/we were the oppressive force against freedom and liberty for the Latin American countries.) They were also called "realistas" (Royalists) and probably (?) "monárquicos" (monarchist persons.)

Currently, I believe, they (we, since I am a Spaniard, too) are called "gallegos".
Is there any other denomination used? (Both in the time of the War of Independence, and currently.)

In Spain, the word "españolito" can be used positively, and/or sarcastically.

Machado had a poem, "Españolito que vienes al mundo, te guarde Dios: una de las dos Españas ha de helarte el corazón." (His use here seems more affective than derogatory... with a bit of bitter/sweet taste.)

Any data on the above will be appreciated.

(Besides my interest on the above, I know they call Pau Gasol "the Spanish Gladiator" and that is definitely positive... but that is a species of another hue...)

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old June 12, 2010, 05:35 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPablo View Post
During the days of Simón Bolívar, the "Spaniards" were called (derogatorily) "Godos". (They/we were the oppressive force against freedom and liberty for the Latin American countries.) They were also called "realistas" (Royalists) and probably (?) "monárquicos" (monarchist persons.)

Currently, I believe, they (we, since I am a Spaniard, too) are called "gallegos".
Is there any other denomination used? (Both in the time of the War of Independence, and currently.)

In Spain, the word "españolito" can be used positively, and/or sarcastically.

Machado had a poem, "Españolito que vienes al mundo, te guarde Dios: una de las dos Españas ha de helarte el corazón." (His use here seems more affective than derogatory... with a bit of bitter/sweet taste.)

Any data on the above will be appreciated.

(Besides my interest on the above, I know they call Pau Gasol "the Spanish Gladiator" and that is definitely positive... but that it is a species kind of another hue...)

I guess "gallego" because of being "sttuborn"?
Old June 12, 2010, 07:42 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Around here:
Español: gallego
Italiano: tano

This is the only thing I can say about this.
Old June 12, 2010, 08:15 AM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
"Gachupín" in Mexico.
I don't know where the word comes from, but during Independence war, it was used as a pejorative name for Spaniards. One of the main mottos at the start of the war was "¡Mueran los gachupines!". They were clearly distinguished from the children of Spaniards, born in Mexico, who were called "criollos" and who led the initiative of Independence.

Btw, in Colombia (and maybe also in Venezuela) "godos" became a term associated with conservatives during past fights between them and liberals (in their turn called "cachiporros").

Btw, in more recent times, the cliché of a "gallego" as a synonym for a stupid Spaniard is commonly used in jokes, equivalent to those of "Lepe" in Spain.

Not the sides one is proud of one's own culture, right?
Old June 12, 2010, 10:23 AM
Diamond

ROBINDESBOIS is on a distinguished road
I heard the word gachupín somewhere, it´s good to know what it means. Anyway, we also have names for people from other countries, so no sweat, it´s human condition.
Old June 12, 2010, 10:57 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
Los canarios también nos llaman "godos" a los peninsulares.
Old June 12, 2010, 11:27 AM
Sapphire

Another new thing for me; I've never heared the term "godos" used in that way. I was expecting to find something related to the ancient german population on this topic :P
* how can I say here: "relacionado con el antiguo pueblo germano" I don't know how to translate "pueblo"
Old June 12, 2010, 11:48 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés (en-gb)
pjt33 is on a distinguished road
"Pueblo" en este contexto se traduce "people" o "people group" (sinónimo de "grupo étnico") pero creo que sea más corriente hablar de "the ancient German tribe of the visigoths".
Old June 12, 2010, 11:54 AM
Sapphire

Thanks pjt33 (I don't know which term would be more accurated, I used "pueblo" because it's in RAE definitions)
Old June 12, 2010, 11:56 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
Los canarios también nos llaman "godos" a los peninsulares.
Gran Diccionario del Habla Canaria: godo col. y. despec. Español o peninsular arrogante, fanfarrón ....

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: