View Full Version : Terms of endearment

Jane
June 03, 2008, 10:05 AM
I´ve been wondering about the different names of endearment in Spanish...
Sometime ago a very good friend of mine called me Pequeña..., after I got home I stood in front of my full sized mirror and took my measurement (you don´t wanna know what they are;)),counted my years here on earth and I was totally convinced that I wasn´t that small/little...:).
So the next time I was called by that name, I voiced my objections...and my dear friend laughed so hard and then went on and said to me, "Eres un monstruo..." Can you believe it:yuck:. Me... a monster:eek::D:cool:.
Well, later I was told they´re names of endearment... sometimes, it still takes me an effort to withdraw my objections whenever I hear those words used to address me..., but I just love it.
Cariño /Cari,
Amor /Mi amor,
Cielo,
Primor,
Mi hija/hijo...
I´d like to know which ones apply to friends, family, lover/ husband/wife...:love::love::love:
also as used in Latin American countries.

poli
June 03, 2008, 10:19 AM
Mi vida is used for the love of your life.
Cubans use negrita/negrito regardless of skin color for any dear person.
Mi amor

Escarabajo
June 03, 2008, 12:35 PM
Siempre me sorprende oir "gordita" o "gordo" sin malicia.

Iris
June 03, 2008, 12:46 PM
I use terms of endearment quite often, especially when talking to my children. But there is a Spanish one I can't stand because it sounds awfully posh. Of course this is subjective: my sister uses it all the time when she talks to her husband. I mean cari.:yuck:

Escarabajo
June 03, 2008, 12:48 PM
Is that a shortening of cariño?

Iris
June 03, 2008, 01:01 PM
Yeah. It is.

Rusty
June 03, 2008, 02:10 PM
carito, carita, mijo, mija, miel, mielcito, corazón, mi vida, mi reina, cielo, cielito, preciosa, princesa, guapa, guapo, bichito, bichita, amor, amorcito, gordita, gordito, querida, querido

Iris
June 03, 2008, 02:13 PM
It seems you have lots of practice, Rusty. Are you a really romantic guy? Or do you just know the theory quite well?;)

Rusty
June 03, 2008, 02:17 PM
It seems you have lots of practice, Rusty. Are you a really romantic guy? Or do you just know the theory quite well?;)

He tropezado con ellas, nada más. :rolleyes:

Iris
June 03, 2008, 02:54 PM
¿Con las chicas o con las palabras?

Rusty
June 03, 2008, 03:15 PM
Un enigma, sin duda. ;)

Iris
June 03, 2008, 03:44 PM
Well, you know, the words are the easy part...

Elaina
June 03, 2008, 05:19 PM
Hay personas que usan esos términos muy liberal....a todo mundo le dicen cariño, o mi'ja or mi'jo, mi cielo, mi amor, etc., sin que uno lo sea. Me ha pasado que cuando voy a la estilista se refiere a mi asi: hola cariño.....

Creo que cualquier palabra puede ser "term of endearment" dependiendo el tono de voz.

Elaina:cool:

Tomisimo
June 03, 2008, 06:15 PM
I've heard/used all of the above. The best one though, was one I heard on the streets of Mexico City, a man called his wife "boloquito mío". :)

Iris
June 04, 2008, 02:32 AM
Does boloquito mean anything?:confused: Apart from being a term of endearment?

sosia
June 04, 2008, 03:43 AM
we spoke about "names of endearment" 5 months ago
http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=920
I also say "mi sol"
saludos

poli
June 04, 2008, 06:38 AM
carito, carita, mijo, mija, miel, mielcito, corazón, mi vida, mi reina, cielo, cielito, preciosa, princesa, guapa, guapo, bichito(cuidado), bichita, amor, amorcito, gordita, gordito, querida, querido

As usual there is a regional taboo here. The word bicho is not a all polite
in the Northeastern United States due to the millions of Puerto Ricans that
live here. It's a vulgar word for penis among Puerto Ricans.

Rusty
June 04, 2008, 09:38 AM
The region where bichito is most commonly used as a term of endearment is Argentina.

Iris
June 04, 2008, 12:07 PM
Aquí si le dices a un niño que es un bicho, te refieres a que es muy naughty.
Signed: the official:pelota:

Rusty
June 04, 2008, 03:19 PM
Sí, es otro sentido de bicho. Se precisa saber en qué manera se le vaya a entender al usar esta palabra.

poli
June 04, 2008, 03:37 PM
Aquí si le dices a un niño que es un bicho, te refieres a que es muy naughty.
Signed: the official:pelota:
Just don't say it in Boriquen. Ok?

Tomisimo
June 04, 2008, 06:56 PM
Does boloquito mean anything?:confused: Apart from being a term of endearment?
If I remember right, boloque means like a bundle.

As far as the word bicho it simply means bug/insect in Mexico.

Jane
June 05, 2008, 05:15 PM
we spoke about "names of endearment" 5 months ago
http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=920
I also say "mi sol"
saludos
Some of my all time (favourite) English ones are:
sweetheart /sweetie,
Baby,
Sugar!:love::love::love:

poli
June 05, 2008, 07:12 PM
Jane, your avatar is quite mysterious.
Thank you Maria for changing that annoying teddy bear for something more animate.

Iris
June 06, 2008, 02:30 AM
I'm glad you like it. I think Jane doesn't agree with you, though. I don't know how long it will last anyway. I suppose by now you've noticed that I think variety is the spice of life...
About terms of endearment, I would like to say I very often invent my own, especially when I talk to the children. There's a new one every day.:love:
P.S. I'm thinking of a beach ball for my next avatar.

poli
June 06, 2008, 06:49 AM
Leí en un poema por Gabriela Mistral (Creo que fue excrito por ella, pero tal vez no) en que ella invento la palabra dulcedumbre. A mi me parece muy cariña.
María, eres una pelotera caprichosa.:D

Jane
June 06, 2008, 07:10 AM
Jane, your avatar is quite mysterious.
Thank you Maria for changing that annoying teddy bear for something more animate.
Mysterious could be a good thing, Poli, and right now I like mysterious.;)
But like Iris rightly said, who knows for how long...;)

I'm glad you like it. I think Jane doesn't agree with you, though.

Who says I don´t?:D
I know you can do better than that, though.:impatient:
Something more you.

Iris
June 06, 2008, 07:59 AM
Is this more me, Jane? At least it reflects my saintliness...The pelota element is missing, though...

poli
June 06, 2008, 08:48 AM
I can't speak for that mysterious Jane, but personally I think cupid would be a better choice over angel. Cupids are lovely little innocent dieties of amor. The art of love requires more pelota than a typical angel would use. A simple formula: angel + :pelota: = cupid :love:.

Alfonso
June 06, 2008, 09:14 AM
Is this more me, Jane? At least it reflects my saintliness...The pelota element is missing, though...
Seems to me a throttle angel. Quite good.

poli
June 06, 2008, 09:31 AM
What's a throttle angel?

Alfonso
June 06, 2008, 09:41 AM
Mmmm... I thought you liked metaphores, Poli... :thinking:

Iris
June 06, 2008, 09:45 AM
Like Poli, I haven't got a clue what a throttle angel is, metaphor or no metaphor...

Alfonso
June 06, 2008, 09:55 AM
Not a sad clue?
Then my metaphor is failed...
Oh, no!
Will you help me to mean what I mean?
I looked attentively to your new avatar, and I found that the angel is throttling a bird.
And Jane thinks this is very you? Is she right, Iris?

poli
June 06, 2008, 10:26 AM
Oh, now I know what you mean. Use strangling or choking instead of throttling (an exterminating angel to quote Buñuel might work). Perhaps a psychologist would help. I am sure that your Rorschach interpretations would be quite macabre;)

Alfonso
June 06, 2008, 10:31 AM
exterminating angelThis is the one I like the best. Thanks, Poli.

Iris
June 06, 2008, 11:41 AM
The angel is not strangling the bird, just holding it, you perv...:mad:

Alfonso
June 06, 2008, 11:43 AM
Holding it? For what? Is he gonna eat it?

CrOtALiTo
June 06, 2008, 12:53 PM
Jejeje, I like that mean of say, when you love whom.

To my wife sometimes, I have said her, in Spanish:

Mija, Amorcito, pedasito de azucar, corazón mio, gordita,to my kids, I've said them,

Mi vida, hijos mios, pedasito de nuves.

Here, on Mexican, we can to say of a lot of mean, is depend to that person, you would say it, in Spanish is more easy, I have hear in language Russian some mean of say love but is more difficult, and, How you say to a person beloved on U.S.A?.

I feel that there are a lot of mean of say love on the world.

I love my class of English. jajaj

Iris
June 06, 2008, 01:32 PM
Holding it? For what? Is he gonna eat it?
You can be really mean sometimes, you know? Thank God I :love:you no matter what.

Alfonso
June 06, 2008, 01:54 PM
You can be really mean sometimes, you know? Thank God I :love:you no matter what.
Yeah, but what happened to the poor bird? That wings your angel shows, where did he/she win them?

Iris
June 06, 2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah, but what happened to the poor bird? Those wings your angel shows, where did he/she win them?
They were a prize for her saintliness and beauty.;):rolleyes:;)

Jane
June 10, 2008, 07:40 AM
Yeah, but what happened to the poor bird? That wings your angel shows, where did he/she win them?

Alfonso, did you just admit to being mean (sometimes)?:eek:
Were you being sincere or just scary?:yuck:;)

Jane
June 10, 2008, 08:38 AM
Jejeje, I like that mean of say, when you love whom.
I like the way you express love/ affection, to someone you love/ when you love love someone.

To my wife sometimes, I have said her, in Spanish:
Sometimes, I call / address / say to / refer to my wife, in Spanish(as):

Mija, Amorcito, pedasito de azucar, corazón mio, gordita,
to my kids, I've said them, I call my kids :

Mi vida, hijos mios, pedasito de nuves.

Here, in Mexican, we have a lot of ways of expressing love /affection, but, it depends on the person you´re addressing, it´s easier in Spanish. I heard / learnt it´s more difficult in Russian language. How do you address a beloved person in (the) U.S.A?.

I feel that there´re lots of ways of expressing love / affection (terms of endearment) in the world.

I love my English class. jajaj

I guess Rusty and the others didn´t see this post, so I decided to take a shot at correcting it.

Rusty
June 10, 2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks, Jane. :thumbsup:

You and I aren't the only ones who have offered to help.

Jane
June 10, 2008, 06:45 PM
You´re absolutely right, Rusty.

ROBINDESBOIS
October 05, 2009, 06:07 AM
TESORO is a good one.

Perla is another one.

Sancho Panther
October 06, 2009, 07:08 AM
In the markets in Spain more or less all las señoras are addressed as reina o chata, though really chata is more for the younger señoritas.

CrOtALiTo
October 06, 2009, 12:39 PM
Here for example, I have a named endearment people named Coky and is coquito?

I don't know very sure if you are with this named is correct in the post.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org