View Full Version : Hacer hincapié

lblanco
November 05, 2008, 02:19 PM
So, what does "hacer incapie" mean? I've heard it before but haven't figured its meaning.

Rusty
November 05, 2008, 02:25 PM
So, what does "hacer incapie" mean? I've heard it before but haven't figured its meaning.

To emphasize, or to stress.

Planet hopper
November 05, 2008, 02:32 PM
that one has an h on it? yep

hacer hincapié

lblanco
November 05, 2008, 02:40 PM
Ahhh, gracias...I love these forums!

CrOtALiTo
November 05, 2008, 02:47 PM
I think that the word Dar incapie, would to mean emphasise something, I don't know when you try to say something, for example, if you want to say this, El dia de la independecia es importante. here in this sentence you are clarify something very important because you know that is the independence day.

I hope my example could to be of great to help for you.

I hope you have done understand me.

Jessica
November 05, 2008, 03:39 PM
doesn't "pie" (not the pie that we eat) mean "foot"? We're starting a new chapter in Spanish class and it's about your body parts and "where it hurts". I found out that el pie is foot

I don't get the thread too...

CrOtALiTo
November 05, 2008, 03:51 PM
What do you mean with food?

How you say that the pie is food?

Where you have seen that the Pie is food.

Rusty
November 05, 2008, 03:52 PM
The noun el pie means foot.
The fun thing about idiomatic expressions, like dar pie a, is that, even though you know the meaning of every word in the expression, it takes on another meaning.
Hincapié has yet another meaning, even though it was formed from hincar and pie.

Isn't language learning fun?

CrOtALiTo
November 05, 2008, 03:55 PM
I don't think so.

Rusty
November 05, 2008, 03:59 PM
That's a truthful answer, Luis.

The English word pie means pay en México (pastel en otros países), by the way.

Tomisimo
November 05, 2008, 04:18 PM
This thread split from the dar pie a (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=2272) thread. :)

CrOtALiTo
November 05, 2008, 05:30 PM
I never heard use the word Pie in Mexico as Pay, I don't know of another countries but in my country never heard that, look, the Word Pie is Pie nothing else, if you want to say Pay in Mexico is Pagar something, but you apologize me because I'm not agree with you with sense that you give to the word Pie in my country, if you meet someone who is Mexican, please you answer him the same, you answer if the word Pie mean Pay in Mexico, I repeat I don't know if the end Pie in another countries mean other thing.

I'm sorry.

Rusty
November 05, 2008, 05:50 PM
No he dicho nada de la palabra inglesa pay (pagar). David usó la palabra mexicana pay en vez de pastel hace unas semanas aquí en los foros y le repetí en este hilo.
Por cierto, la palabra que conozco yo es pastel y los diccionarios que consulto coinciden que es la palabra más común. Pero hay otras acepciones - tarta y pay. Éste suena igual que la palabra inglesa y sólo se usa en México, pero, según parece, no donde vives tú.

Vikingo
November 05, 2008, 06:37 PM
¡Hola!

Según mi diccionario Oxford se usa pie para decir depósito ("down payment), pero en Chile. El diccionario Collins dice que se la usa así en el cono sur. ¿No se usa la palabra así en México, entonces, Crotalito?

Jessica
November 05, 2008, 07:09 PM
pie as in a food. pumpkin pie. but that's English "pie"....

CrOtALiTo
November 05, 2008, 07:12 PM
Not, it currently not is used in Mexico, and Rusty, you apologize me, I didn't understand very well the sence of the word, then you mean to say a cake bony Pay.

Elaina
November 05, 2008, 07:23 PM
Como dijeron.........hacer hincapié = darle importancia a algo.

Luis........estoy confundida de lo que escribíste en tu último mensaje.

Explícame por favor.

Ahora la palabra pie, en inglés quiere decir (for lack of a better word) pastel. Como pastel de calabaza. Pastel de queso. Pastel de manzana, etc.

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

CrOtALiTo
November 05, 2008, 09:57 PM
You are telling to me, or who?

sosia
November 06, 2008, 12:24 AM
RAE:
hincapié.
1. m. Acción de hincar o afirmar el pie para sostenerse o para hacer fuerza.

The usual example is a man putting one feet over a shovel to make a hole
"hizo hincapié sobre la pala para cavar un agujero"

So if you think in this kind of movement then comes
RAE:
hacer alguien hicapié:
1. loc. verb. coloq. Insistir en algo que se afirma, se propone o se encarga.

So figurately "hacer hincapié" is to emphasize
other wys "remarcar", "hacer notar", "insistir",....
saludos :D

Tomisimo
November 06, 2008, 07:20 AM
Crotalito, ¿nunca has probado un pay de manzana? ... de lo que te pierdes... :)

pie [English] = pastel (de frutas), tarta, empanada (de frutas), pay (informal, angliscismo)
pay [English] = pagar

CrOtALiTo
November 06, 2008, 08:48 AM
Not, I never have eaten a Pay's apple, but if you tell me that it's very tasty, then I have to buy one, later I will buy one for eat.

Tomisimo
November 06, 2008, 10:25 AM
Not, I never have eaten a Pay's apple an apple pie, but if you tell me that it's very tasty, then I have to buy one, later I will buy one for eat.
Yes, when you get a chance, try one, preferably hot and topped with vanilla ice cream. :)

CrOtALiTo
November 06, 2008, 01:02 PM
Ok, I will try it.

silopanna
November 15, 2008, 03:51 PM
Could somebody use it in a sentence? From this thread, I can't even figure out what preposition goes with it.

Thanks in advance, Dean

Rusty
November 15, 2008, 04:52 PM
If you mean hacer hincapié, it is usually followed by en. Por ejemplo:
Quiero hacer hincapié en que a pesar de todas las buenas ideas de él, ninguna ha mejorado la situación.
= I want to emphasize that, in spite of all his good ideas, none has improved the situation.

silopanna
November 15, 2008, 06:19 PM
Thanks, Rusty.

You know, in Portuguese, they say "enfatizar." Can you say this in Spanish, too?

Or do they only say "hacer hincapié en ..." nowadays?

Is this the Spanish of Spain, or is hincapié used all over the Spanish speaking world?

Thanks,

Dean

Rusty
November 15, 2008, 06:46 PM
Enfatizar is also a Spanish verb, used the same way as in Portuguese.
Hacer hincapié en is another way to say the same thing.
There are other verbs, and phrases, that can also be used:
Dar énfasis a
Poner énfasis en
Destacar
Subrayar
Recalcar
Insistir en/sobre

These appear to be used all over, not just in Spain.

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org