View Full Version : La madre que me/te/los parió

kandy
April 04, 2009, 02:22 AM
Does anybody know an equivalent idiom for this expression in English?

Thanks in advance.

sosia
April 04, 2009, 05:12 AM
As we're entering the conlorful and amazingly world of spanish insults
Wait for a native, here you have some options:

Son of a bitch
Son of the great bitch
literal: "the mother who gave birth to him."
La madre que me parió = **** me! (as surprise)
La madre que te parió = **** you!

Saludos D:

kandy
April 04, 2009, 06:34 AM
thanks sosia... can it also mean something along the lines of "what fools they are"?
the person who said it (and who is not prone to using profanities!) was responding to a joke i had forwarded to her about a certain pueblo in the south of spain where the people have gained the unfortunate reputation of being a little less than intelligent... my friend commented "Ay Señor! Estos de (said pueblo) siempre dando la nota! La madre que los parió! ;-)"

Rusty
April 04, 2009, 06:53 AM
Since we're entering the colorful and amazing world of Spanish insults, wait for a native. Here you have some options:

Son of a bitch
Son of the great bitch

Saludos D:I don't believe I've ever heard this insult before.

The literal translation provided by sosia wouldn't be considered an insult in any sense. So, I had to go hunting for the reason this seemingly innocent phrase could even be used as an insult.

The DRAE and another source reason that this sentence fragment is an insult because human beings don't parir (to give birth to an animal, to calve, to foal, to lamb, to reproduce some thing, etc.). Some of the dictionaries I checked say that parir can indeed be used to describe human birth.

At any rate, since this a Spanish insult (I don't know if it's used elsewhere), the phrases that sosia provided in the hidden section are accurate. More phrases could be added, from vulgar to lesser degrees of vulgarity. The politest insult I came across is blasted. The fragment is used as an interjection, so a single English word can be substituted (like the bad four-letter word that sosia alluded to, or the much-less-vulgar blasted).

Jessica
April 04, 2009, 07:16 AM

Son of a bitch
Son of the great bitch

Saludos D:

bad words O.o :eek:

chileno
April 04, 2009, 07:49 AM
I don't believe I've ever heard this insult before.

The literal translation provided by sosia wouldn't be considered an insult in any sense. So, I had to go hunting for the reason this seemingly innocent phrase could even be used as an insult.

The DRAE and another source reason that this sentence fragment is an insult because human beings don't parir (to give birth to an animal, to calve, to foal, to lamb, to reproduce some thing, etc.). Some of the dictionaries I checked say that parir can indeed be used to describe human birth.

At any rate, since this a Spanish insult (I don't know if it's used elsewhere), the phrases that sosia provided in the hidden section are accurate. More phrases could be added, from vulgar to lesser degrees of vulgarity. The politest insult I came across is blasted. The fragment is used as an interjection, so a single English word can be substituted (like the bad four-letter word that sosia alluded to, or the much-less-vulgar blasted).

And since you provided this explanation. it can be said that this phrase could be said in a polite way in Spanish, as BESTIA/S :)

But, it is still an insult...

Elaina
April 04, 2009, 08:27 AM
I agree with Chileno.........insults!

CrOtALiTo
April 04, 2009, 10:21 AM

Son of a bitch
Son of the great bitch

Saludos D:

They are insults.

Que la pario........

sosia
April 04, 2009, 10:50 AM
With this context it changes. It's more amiable.
In this case it's not really an insult, but an expression.
Indicates the community is particular...
I'm no good in english expresions ...

"Ay Señor! Estos de Lepe siempre dando la nota! La madre que los parió! ;-)"
Oh, God! Those people of Lepe always conflicting . What a people!

other similar example:
"Otra vez me ha parado un policía y me ha puesto una multa. La madre que los parió!
A policeman has stopped me once again and I have another fine. Damned police force!

You are not really against them, but they are a temporal "pain in the ass"
Saludos :D

PD Rusty: modismo: dar la nota : Desentonar o actuar de manera discordante (destacar) To show off?? to conflict??

poli
April 06, 2009, 06:09 AM

other similar example:
"Otra vez me ha parado un policía y me ha puesto una multa. La madre que los parió!
A policeman has stopped me once again and I have another fine. Damned police force!

PD Rusty: modismo: dar la nota : Desentonar o actuar de manera discordante (destacar) To show off?? to conflict??I would use feuding for dando la nota if dando la nota means they are alway fighting

If la madre que te parió is often used in a somewhat insulting way,
how would you say biological mother (as opposed to adoptive mother)?
Madre biologica really doesn't sound right to me.

workingmom20
April 06, 2009, 08:32 AM
Yes, this is very commenly used in Puerto Rico, my family says it all the time. It's kind of like **** you and the horse you rode on but, this is a tricky one to try to fit into an english insult. It's like saying **** you and your mom that gave birth to you.

sosia
April 06, 2009, 12:08 PM
I would use feuding for dando la nota if dando la nota means they are alway fighting

dar la nota: suppose you're listening a nice aria played by a good orchestra, and someone of the orchestra from time to time "misses the chord" (da la nota).
Someone who "da la nota" is someone who is not right at that moment or behaves in a anormal way.( Desentonar o actuar de manera discordante (destacar) )
Example: someone in a lawsuit in a clown conference, or a knight in a dragon's meeting.

we say simply "mamá" or" madre" :rolleyes::rolleyes:
"madre biológica" is a term used to diferenciate doster/adoptive parent and biologica parents.

Ambarina
April 06, 2009, 12:11 PM
I would use feuding for dando la nota if dando la nota means they are alway fighting

I agree with Sosia that "dar la nota" is to draw attention, i.e. show off, do something ridiculous, brag, etc.
The original sentence: there they (the people from Lepe) go again...drawing attention to themselves.

I also agree on the fact that here the "la madre que los parió" is not an insult but an exclamation. But then that's a case of usage. Perhaps in another Spanish speaking country I would sound harsher. Have to be careful.

BTW "Madre biológica" is correct. :)

kandy
April 07, 2009, 01:43 AM

other similar example:

PD Rusty: modismo: dar la nota : Desentonar o actuar de manera discordante (destacar) To show off?? to conflict??
Aw... Sosia, I was trying to be nice and not mention the people from Lepe by name, but you guessed it anyway! what a bad reputation they have!!

Thanks everybody for your all your help on this one!

poli
April 07, 2009, 05:46 AM
Estes hilos son muy interesantes, y llena de informción. Gracias.

sosia
April 07, 2009, 06:16 AM
They do not have bad reputation, they're proud to be in lots of jokes.
The people of Lepe are special.
¿Porqué los de Lepe llevan tortugas en los ojos?
-porque son lentillas

saludos :D

CrOtALiTo
April 07, 2009, 01:36 PM

I think that of the way that you want to see the expression sound most as an insult in time to seems a phrase appropriate for the use common.:D

workingmom20
April 20, 2009, 09:28 AM
This is a very common saying in the carribean, especially Puerto Rico, I always here people in my family saying it. I dont think that there a real direct translation, It's kind of like saying your momma too.

pavorojo
January 04, 2011, 09:23 PM
Hey all!

Thanks for this new expression!

I just finished this book... called funny enough... *Madre*... and am now obsessed with making a list of all the "madre" expressions out there. Had not seen la madre que te pario before.

BTW... you can get the book on Amazon... if anyone is interested in the subject... which is basically about living in another country and finding a word that everyone uses all the time and no one teaches in class.

Off to add la madre que te pario to my list!

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org