View Full Version : History of saying 'de nada'

theone
September 29, 2009, 09:08 PM
Hi, I am interested in knowing why the response to 'gracias' is 'de nada'. What is the history behind using this response with the words "of nothing" ? What is the history of the use of the word that means nothing to become the response to 'gracias'?
Thanks.

bobjenkins
September 29, 2009, 10:54 PM
Hi, I am interested in knowing why the response to 'gracias' is 'de nada'. What is the history behind using this response with the words "of nothing" ? What is the history of the use of the word that means nothing to become the response to 'gracias'?
Thanks.
No estoy seguro de lo que la etimología venga , pero me parece ser parecido al dicho en inglés

- Thank you
- Oh it was nothing

Al buscar lo hallo
La palabra nada proviene del latin natus nata natum participio del verbo nascor, (nacer).Se utilizaba la expresión " res nata" o cosa nacida. Posteriormente la palabra res paso al catalán "res" y al francés desde el acusativo rem "rien" y la palabra "nada" al español y al portugués.De nada es como decir "por nada" o sea "no hay porqué dar las gracias" o no hay de qué como también se dice.

sosia
September 30, 2009, 01:49 AM
I don't know the origin, but I agree with bobjenkins. There are shorted-with-the-time expresions, like goodbye or wellcome.
A.gracias
B: de nada (no hay nada que agradecer, das las gracias por nada importante,
- no hay de que (no hay de que dar gracias)

another example
adios (A Dios te encomiendo, I hope God take care of you) I suppose :D

saludos :D

chileno
September 30, 2009, 06:03 AM
Sometimes people say "por nada" also.

brute
September 30, 2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks.
English - Its nothing, French - Il n'a pas de quoi (There is nothing of what) German - Es macht nichts (It makes nothing) and similar expressions in many other languages. :D:)

ookami
September 30, 2009, 08:37 AM
Here is common to wellcome with a negative form, like trying to not accept the thanks:

-No no, por favor...

I almost always use, to say "de nada":
-Noo... (and a "tone" of a sentence that continues)

Another way:
-No hay por donde. (figurative sense, there is no place to put the thanks)

Or just:
-Por favor... ("Por favor no es nada"-"Por favor no agradezca")

Or:
-No es nada.

But the more common in all countrys and "formal", if you want, is "De nada". Above this post were explain from where it could have came..

Villa
September 30, 2009, 08:13 PM
No hay de que. And the Italian Non c'e' di che! Somewhat similiar. che=que

Don't mention it (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/don%27t_mention_it); used as you're welcome (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/you%27re_welcome) in the sense of no problem (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/no_problem)

CrOtALiTo
September 30, 2009, 09:37 PM
It's used when someone did something for you and you tell him Gracias and he answering you de nada.

It's simply to understand, because casually it doesn't has anything to complex.

irmamar
October 01, 2009, 12:48 PM
I prefer "no hay de qué" to "de nada" :)

laepelba
October 01, 2009, 04:26 PM
I prefer "no hay de qué" to "de nada" :)

Why? What exactly is the difference in the SENSE of the two ("no hay de qué" vs. "de nada")? I have never felt comfortable with "de nada" ... it seems too casual (almost flippant) for me to use in certain situations.

AngelicaDeAlquezar
October 01, 2009, 05:28 PM
@Lou Ann: There isn't a great difference between both, except maybe that "no hay de qué" is a little more formal. But "de nada" is, dare I say, universal.
Both are polite enough for any social context. :)

laepelba
October 01, 2009, 05:31 PM
@Lou Ann: There isn't a great difference between both, except maybe that "no hay de qué" is a little more formal. But "de nada" is, dare I say, universal.
Both are polite enough for any social context. :)

But how about a professional context? If someone says to me "Thank you VERY much" for something that they appreciate, professionally, and something that I went out of my way to do for them, is it really professional to say "it was nothing"?

CrOtALiTo
October 01, 2009, 05:31 PM
Why? What exactly is the difference in the SENSE of the two ("no hay de qué" vs. "de nada")? I have never felt comfortable with "de nada" ... it seems too casual (almost flippant) for me to use in certain situations.

In fact the exactly the different is not anything.

They completely the same.:eek:

irmamar
October 02, 2009, 02:02 AM
Yes, there's no difference. I use "no hay de qué" because I like it :), maybe it's a bit more formal, but "de nada" is equally polite. Here you can hear also: "faltaría más".

chileno
October 02, 2009, 07:17 AM
Yes, there's no difference. I use "no hay de qué" because I like it :), maybe it's a bit more formal, but "de nada" is equally polite. Here you can hear also: "faltaría más".

Or "no faltaría más" :) (lo que se le ofrezca a su mercé') :D

CrOtALiTo
October 02, 2009, 08:31 AM

Yes exactly the phrase faltaria mas is more polite than anything else.:D

AngelicaDeAlquezar
October 02, 2009, 01:35 PM
@Lou Ann: As I said "de nada" is the standart reply and suitable for ALL cases.

If you don't want to say that, you can always say some ornamental sentence like:

· Fue un placer.
· No tienes/tiene nada qué agradecer.

When you do a service:
· Para servirte/servirle.
· A tus/sus órdenes.

It's also a matter of how ceremonious you want to sound. ;)

laepelba
October 04, 2009, 08:02 PM
I know what you said. It just still seems really casual to me.... Thanks for the alternatives. I really like them. Lots of options! :)

Sancho Panther
October 15, 2009, 11:15 AM
"de nada" ... it seems too casual (almost flippant) for me to use in certain situations.

De acuerdo, pero creo que si añades señor(a) suena mejor.

laepelba
October 15, 2009, 12:32 PM
Like "De nada, señor!"?

AngelicaDeAlquezar
October 15, 2009, 01:16 PM
:thinking: I still wonder what makes people doubt about it. It's just a standard answer, perfectly equivalent to "you're welcome".

laepelba
October 15, 2009, 01:21 PM
It's not that I doubt it. And it seems to be just me who has the issue. (Isn't it always me with an issue?) :) It's just that to say "it's nothing" when someone says thank you seems to trivialize something that might not necessarily be trivial. If you're saying that it is NOT trivial, then I will take your word for it. GRACIAS!

Perikles
October 16, 2009, 03:28 AM
another example
adios (A Dios te encomiendo, I hope God take care of you) I suppose That's interesting. The English Goodbye is a shortening of God be with you.

Goodbye :)

CrOtALiTo
October 16, 2009, 02:03 PM
That's interesting. The English Goodbye is a shortening of God be with you.

Goodbye :)

To have it.

I have a question about of that yo're saying.

God be with you this sentence is the way shorter of the word Goodbye.

But anyhow it doesn't say anything similar to the goodbye word, then I have my doubt here that phrase says Dios esta contigo.

Please if you are lovable to clarifying me the question.:)

laepelba
October 16, 2009, 04:45 PM
Consider this: "God be with you" ........ "Good be with you" .......... "Good be with ye'" .............. "Good b'with ye" ........... "Good b'ye" ........... "Goodbye". See it?

CrOtALiTo
October 16, 2009, 07:47 PM
See it.

ookami
October 16, 2009, 08:28 PM
It's not that I doubt it. And it seems to be just me who has the issue. (Isn't it always me with an issue?) :) It's just that to say "it's nothing" when someone says thank you seems to trivialize something that might not necessarily be trivial. If you're saying that it is NOT trivial, then I will take your word for it. GRACIAS!

But.. "de nada" it's not as "it's nothing".. That would be "no es nada".
"de nada" is like "you are welcome", that's the accurate translation.

brute
October 17, 2009, 03:55 AM
But how about a professional context? If someone says to me "Thank you VERY much" for something that they appreciate, professionally, and something that I went out of my way to do for them, is it really professional to say "it was nothing"?
Once when I said Muchisimas gracias, I received the answer ¡Muchisimas de nadas! The man who said this was a Dutch restaurateur in Tenerife.

Perikles
October 17, 2009, 04:08 AM
¡Muchisimas de nadas! The man who said this was a Dutch restaurateur in Tenerife.Yes, that's Tenerife. :lol::lol::lol:

irmamar
October 17, 2009, 07:52 AM
No, it's not Tenerife, it's a very common joke in Spain :D

Good explanation, Lou Ann :applause: :)

Perikles
October 17, 2009, 09:27 AM
No, it's not Tenerife, it's a very common joke in Spain Thanks - I didn't know that. :)

Want to contribute to this discussion? Have a question of your own? Register for your own free account now!

Copyright © 2004-2008 Tomisimo.org