Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Daily Spanish Word (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Aviso (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=6075)

DailyWord November 07, 2009 09:06 AM

Aviso

This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word for November 5, 2009

aviso (masculine noun (el)) — warning, notice. Look up aviso in the dictionary

Nos dieron un aviso de que iba a venir una fuerte lluvia en la tarde.
We were warned that we would get some heavy rain this afternoon.

laepelba November 07, 2009 02:28 PM

So could I use this in the sense of an announcement? For example, "Ayer, di a mis estudiantes un aviso que va a ser un exámen el próximo miercoles." ??

chileno November 07, 2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 60354)
So could I use this in the sense of an announcement? For example, "Ayer, di a mis estudiantes un aviso que va a ser un exámen el próximo miercoles." ??

Ayer les dí a mis estudiantes un aviso de que va a haber un exámen el próximo miercoles.

laepelba November 07, 2009 02:32 PM

(In English, please....) I don't understand why "haber" here........ (But is my use of "aviso" okay?)

pjt33 November 07, 2009 02:49 PM

"Haber" es el infinitivo de "hay".

A mi me suena un poco forzado decir "dar un aviso" cuando puedes decir "avisar", pero así es.

laepelba November 07, 2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjt33 (Post 60365)
"Haber" es el infinitivo de "hay".

A mi me suena un poco forzado decir "dar un aviso" cuando puedes decir "avisar", pero así es.

(sigh......) This is where I'm reminded that my Spanish has SUCH a long way to go. I still don't understand "hay". (Don't try to explain it to me, please ... it has been attempted and I have not YET understood. I'm going to have to find a chapter in a textbook about it and get some reading done.......)

And I don't really understand what you said next. You're saying that it seems to you to be a bit strong to say "dar un aviso", but I don't understand the last part ... "pero así es". I thought that meant "but it is". So that doesn't make sense to me. :(

pjt33 November 07, 2009 04:26 PM

"Hay" is just something you have to learn, like its English translation ("there is").
hay: there is (present)
había: there was / there were
habrá: there will be
habría: there would be
va a haber: there will be
haya: there were to be (subjunctive)

There are other forms (the perfects) but they're pretty rare.

Not "a bit strong" but "a bit forced". Así: thus, like that. Así es: that's the way it is.

laepelba November 07, 2009 05:41 PM

Thanks for trying to explain the "haber" stuff. Like I said ... I still don't understand. I'm going to need to find it in one of my textbooks and try to learn it there. Thanks anyway.

As far as the "así es" being "that's the way it is", I know the literal translation of it ... I didn't understand the usage. (I'm not doing a very good job of explaining myself in this thread...) Do you mean that "that's the way it is ...... in the sample sentence" or "that's the way it is ....... because it is often used like that"????

AngelicaDeAlquezar November 07, 2009 07:03 PM

Just to bother: "examen" doesn't carry any accent. :)

laepelba November 07, 2009 07:28 PM

Thanks, Malila - I have to be sure to learn correct spellings! :)