Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The former...the latter... en español (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3976)

lagrulladelvalle May 17, 2009 08:56 PM

The former...the latter... en español
 
I didn't seem to find a search for my question in mind. I cleared the question by looking in the back of some other text book. For this, for anyone else who may have this question, I'll proceed:

The former...the latter.
Aquél...éste.
Of course, aquél and éste may change endings according to gender and number.

Lagrulladelvalle

chileno May 17, 2009 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lagrulladelvalle (Post 36233)
I didn't seem to find a search for my question in mind. I cleared the question by looking in the back of some other text book. For this, for anyone else who may have this question, I'll proceed:

The former...the latter.
Aquél...éste.
Of course, aquél and éste may change endings according to gender and number.

Lagrulladelvalle

lo anterior

el/la/lo último, a fines, a los finales

The latter is a valid point = Lo último es un punto valedero.

I am not sure where would "aquél .. éste" fit...

Hmmm "Esto último..." = This last.

Tomisimo May 17, 2009 11:20 PM

Chileno, how would you translate this sentence: ("former" refers to the Mustang and "latter" to the pickup)

I have a 1968 Mustang and a Toyota pickup truck. The former is in mint condition and the latter I use for work.

chileno May 18, 2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomisimo (Post 36259)
Chileno, how would you translate this sentence: ("former" refers to the Mustang and "latter" to the pickup)

I have a 1968 Mustang and a Toyota pickup truck. The former is in mint condition and the latter I use for work.

Tengo un Mustang de 1968 y una camioneta pickup Toyota. El anterior está como nuevo, y la última la uso para el trabajo.

Even in English is a bit confusing if you are not reading correctly. :)

Tomisimo May 18, 2009 10:16 AM

Thanks Chileno!

irmamar May 18, 2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chileno (Post 36284)
Tengo un Mustang de 1968 y una camioneta pickup Toyota. El anterior está como nuevo, y la última la uso para el trabajo.

Even in English is a bit confusing if you are not reading correctly. :)

I'd say: el primero..., el segundo (o el último)...

Tomisimo May 18, 2009 10:46 AM

Would anyone use the terms posted by lagrulladelvalle? (Aquél... éste.)?

AngelicaDeAlquezar May 18, 2009 11:43 AM

Let's see if these examples are useful, David...


Some people prefer dogs to cats because the former are more faithful.
Algunas personas prefieren los perros a los gatos, porque aquéllos/los primeros son más fieles.

I've been offered coffee or tea. I chose the former.
Me ofrecieron café o té. Elegí aquél/el primero.

During the holidays I visited Paris and Berlin. The latter is a magnificent city.
En las vacaciones visité París y Berlín. Ésta/la segunda es una ciudad magnífica.

Spiders are not insects. The latter have six feet, the former have eight.
Las arañas no son insectos. Éstos/los primeros tienen seis patas; aquéllas/las otras/las segundas tienen ocho.

chileno May 18, 2009 12:45 PM

Tienen razon. Se usa el primero/a y la/el/lo ultimo/a

Nosotros no usamos aquel/aquella... si acaso estos etc...:)

Rusty May 18, 2009 10:03 PM

I've always used éste/a and aquél/aquella. That's what I believe I heard in Central America. I would certainly understand the 'segundo/primero' sentences, though.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:59 AM.

Forum powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.