Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Practice & Homework (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Práctica (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3606)

Fazor April 15, 2009 08:26 AM

Práctica

Ese es un hilo para práctica. De vez en cuando, hay un hilo sobre algo que necesito practicar. En lugar de uso los hilos por mi práctica, uso ese hilo. No quiero estar una distracción en los hilos original.

Hoy hay un hilo sobre "Direct and Indirect Objects". Me lo gusto. Tengo problemas con los y necesito practicar.

Me gusta mi coche. No lo usa mucho gas. :?:
Visito a Tomísimo.com todos los días. Lo está muy servicial. :?:
Mis padres compraron chocolates para mi sobrina. Ellos se los dieron en domingo. :?:
Mi novia trabaja a Olive Garden. Me gusta la comida. Algunas veces ella me lo compra cuando ella trabaja. :?:

Rusty April 15, 2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazor (Post 31714)
Este es un hilo de práctica (para mí). De vez en cuando, pondré un mensaje sobre algo que necesito practicar. En lugar de usar los hilos ajenos para mi practicar, usaré este hilo. No quiero distraer la atención en los hilos originales.

Hoy hay un hilo sobre "Direct and Indirect Objects". Me lo gustó. Tengo problemas con ellos y necesito practicarlos.

Me gusta mi coche. No lo usa mucha gasolina. :?:
Visito a Tomísimo.com todos los días. Lo está muy servicial. (Me ayuda mucho. - Me sirve bien.) :?:
Mis padres compraron chocolates para mi sobrina. Ellos se los dieron el domingo. :?:
Mi novia trabaja en Olive Garden. Me gusta la comida. Algunas veces ella me la compra cuando ella trabaja. :?:

Corrections/suggestions above.
The first two practice sentences are using the English word it. This is a subject pronoun, not a direct object pronoun. The subject pronoun is frequently omitted because it is understood. If you must voice the word it, the pronoun to use depends on the gender of the subject it is replacing (use él, ella or ello).
You correctly used the indirect and direct objects in the third sentence. :thumbsup: Your fourth sentence also had both types of objects, but the direct object pronoun didn't match gender of the object it was replacing (la comida).

There is another class of object pronouns besides the two mentioned in the other thread - the prepositional pronouns. These are found in prepositional phrases, as objects of the preposition. There is a prepositional pronoun in the phrase 'Tengo problemas con ellos', for example.
The prepositional pronouns are , ti, él/ella/ello/usted, nosotros, vosotros, and ellos/ellas/ustedes.
Caution! The preposition con employs three irregular prepositional pronouns:
conmigo instead of con mí
contigo instead of con ti
consigo instead of con él/ella/usted mismo/a and con ellos/ellas/ustedes mismos/as

Fazor April 15, 2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Lo está muy servicial. (Me ayuda mucho. - Me sirve bien.)

En 'Me sirve bien', 'me' es un pronombre indirecto, ¿Verdad?

Quote:

There is a prepositional pronoun in the phrase 'Tengo problemas con ellos', for example. . . . Caution! The preposition con employs three irregular prepositional pronouns: . . .
Tengo problemas consigo. :?:

CrOtALiTo April 15, 2009 09:53 AM

Está muy servicial. (Me ayuda mucho. - Me sirve bien.)

Quote:
There is a prepositional pronoun in the phrase 'Tengo problemas con ellos', for example. . . . Caution! The preposition con employs three irregular prepositional pronouns: . . .
Tengo problemas consigo.

The word that you wrote was bad wrote, therefore I made a bit corrections in your post.

I hope you can understand me.

Rusty April 15, 2009 10:30 AM

Indirect object pronoun = pronombre de complemento indirecto
Direct object pronoun = pronombre de complemento directo
object pronouns = pronombres complementarios
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazor (Post 31724)

Short answer, yes. Me es un pronombre de complemento indirecto.
Servir can be used as both a transitive and an intransitive verb.

Transitive verbs take an object (indirect and/or direct). Used as a transitive verb, servir can take a direct object (servir la comida), an indirect object (servir a la familia) or both (servir la comida a la familia). In this sense, the English verb serve is the translation.

The way I used it, however, it is classified as an intransitive verb. It takes no object. The English translation is to be useful. The me is an indirect object pronoun, but it really doesn't function like as an indirect recipient of the action of the verb (there is no recipient of the action, either). Think about the English sentence "It is useful.' There is no object. We can add 'to me' or 'for digging a hole' to expand upon it. This construction is much like me gusta (it is pleasing to me). The verb is intransitive; "It is pleasing" can stand on its own.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazor (Post 31724)
Tengo problemas consigo.

I have problems with it = Tengo problemas con él/ella/ello.
Do I have problems with it (the sentence)? = ¿Tengo problemas con ella?

Consigo, as I tried to explain above, is used reflexively (mismo means self). If the English pronoun were itself (himself, herself, yourself), consigo would be the correct translation.

Fazor April 15, 2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 31740)
Consigo, as I tried to explain above, is used reflexively (mismo means self). If the English pronoun were itself (himself, herself, yourself), consigo would be the correct translation.

El vio un película ayer. Fue consigo. :?:
No me necesitas. Puedes hacer contigo. :?:

Rusty April 15, 2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazor (Post 31742)
El vió una película ayer. Fue consigo. :?:
No me necesitas. Puedes hacer contigo. :?:

Neither sentence that contains con makes any sense. What are you trying to say?

Fazor April 15, 2009 11:02 AM

:) I'm good at not making sense (no seriously, that's how my sense of humor is).

But in these cases, I was trying to say "He watched a movie yesterday. He went by himself." and "You don't need me. You can do it yourself."

poli April 15, 2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fazor (Post 31745)
:) I'm good at not making sense (no seriously, that's how my sense of humor is).

But in these cases, I was trying to say "He watched a movie yesterday. He went by himself." and "You don't need me. You can do it yourself."

Fue solo al cine ayer a ver una película.
Vio la película solo.

Rusty April 15, 2009 01:59 PM

You don't need me. You can do it yourself.
= No me necesitas. Puedes hacerlo tú mismo.
= No me necesita. Puede hacerlo usted mismo.

He brought his jacket (with himself).
= Él llevó la chaqueta consigo.