Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español

Foros para el aprendizaje de inglés y español (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Traducciones (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   entornar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=2015)

johnpatrick October 03, 2008 02:22 PM

entornar

In this sentence, the verb entornar seems odd to me: Si pensamos que una de las formas que entorna al romanticismo es la enfermedad que lo caracteriza . . .
Would you say that entornar here means "leads to"?
Thanks.

CrOtALiTo October 03, 2008 03:16 PM

I wanna understand you, it's a poem.? or only you are saying that the romanticism is an ill.?

The romanticism is odd me, because it has time that I don't give flowers to my wife.

Rusty October 03, 2008 03:46 PM

The traditional 'leaves ajar or half-closed' doesn't seem to fit here.

I would say it is more like 'upsets,' as in tilting a pan and causing its contents to spill.
Other options:
disrupts
skews
tilts

Elaina October 04, 2008 09:07 AM

I think more..........spoils romanticism...

:twocents:

gomey October 04, 2008 09:40 PM

If I were to translate that, I would say that "entornar" would mean "defines, surrounds" so the meaning would be: "If we think that one of the ways that romanticism is defined, it is the illness that characterizes it"

Tomisimo October 04, 2008 10:55 PM

I agree with Rusty and Elaina. Here's my attempt:
Si pensamos que una de las formas que entorna al romanticismo es la enfermedad que lo caracteriza ...
If we consider that one the themes that plagues Romanticism is the characteristic sickness and disease ...
If we consider that one the underlying themes in Romanticism is the characteristic sickness and disease ...
;)

Edit: I agree with you too gomey. I just didn't see your reply before I wrote mine. :)

johnpatrick October 05, 2008 11:46 AM

Thanks, Rusty. I think that "tilts," as in "tilts toward" is perfect.
j

johnpatrick October 05, 2008 11:48 AM

Thanks. In the overall context, which you don't have, the sense is more that of giving an access to, etc. The usual meanings of "entornar" don't fit, and Rusty's "tilts" is good.
Thank you all.

johnpatrick October 05, 2008 11:50 AM

No, it's prose, and the line is not written by me. Your sense of the line differs greatly from mine, from what I can see its words leading to, but I thank you for responding.

sosia October 06, 2008 05:30 AM

The usual "entornar" is Rusty's "'to leave half-closed"
But if you see the sentence
"Si pensamos que una de las formas que entorna al romanticismo es la enfermedad que lo caracteriza . . ."
and you change it to
"Si pensamos que una de las formas que hay entorno al romanticismo es la enfermedad que lo caracteriza . . ."
"entorno" means "enviroment"
from RAE
Cita:

entorno.(De en- y torno).
1. m. Ambiente, lo que rodea.
2. m. Inform. Conjunto de condiciones extrínsecas que necesita un sistema informático para funcionar, como el tipo de programación, de proceso, las características de las máquinas que lo componen, etc.
3. m. Mat. Conjunto de puntos vecinos a otro.
4. m. Ar. Pliegue que se hace a la ropa en el borde.
5. m. ant. contorno.
I'm not really sure if you can say "entorna" as a feminine way of "entorno", but the meaning is sure this, so Gomey was right.
Illness is always surrounding or making ambient to romanticism. The meaning is, that in romanticism is always present illness (like craziness, passion, and so on).

Saludos :D

La franja horaria es GMT -6. Ahora son las 12:58 AM.

Foro powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.