Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Other Languages (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Why would I want to learn another language? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=1065)

Iris March 21, 2008 02:05 PM

Why would I want to learn another language?

I often ask my students why they are learning English. Many of them do it because they need it to study or to get a better job.But for many more it's just a hobby. What makes learning a foreign language so challenging and at the same time so motivating and rewarding?:confused::p:confused:

Iris March 21, 2008 02:07 PM

Alfonso, eat your heart out. I'm not a lounger any more but a student. The title you miss so much is mine to cherish now...

Alfonso March 22, 2008 05:15 AM

I agree with you, Iris. Since most of us learn a language as a hobby, why not learn Esperanto? :confused:

Iris March 22, 2008 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfonso (Post 6034)
I agree with you, Iris. Since most of us learn a language as a hobby, why not learn Esperanto? :confused:

It would lack the rewarding quality of English or Spanish. Where would you find attractive Esperanto native speakers to talk to?

Alfonso March 22, 2008 06:03 AM

Thanks a lot, Iris!
Well, I'm thinking as a politician, for the common wealth (¿bien común?).
I should go shopping. I've got no food at home... and I'm hungry.

Alfonso March 22, 2008 04:45 PM

Hi, Iris,
Excuse my previous answer. Your question is profound. I think curiosity moves people, not to say human being. Learning is a goal in itself, so, maybe, we don't need a why for it. Anyway, I would say it's a way to satisfy a need. Apart from this, I don't know why I do most of the things I mysteriously do.

(Will you please tell me if the last adverb I wrote is rightly placed? Thanks!)

Tomisimo March 22, 2008 08:28 PM

Supposedly there are approximately 1,000 native speakers of Esperanto in the world (all the them bilingual in another natural language). These are children whose parents taught them Esperanto from childhood.

Iris March 23, 2008 06:59 AM

Thanks for your very philosophical answer, Alfonso. And yes, your adverb is in the right place and gives a very interesting meaning to the whole sentence.:)

sosia March 25, 2008 03:20 PM

I learn another language to understand other culture.
I will never learn espaeranto, because it has not a culture.
Altough my aunt learn it (in 1950!!) because it was easier to speak with other people of ther word. Now with internet it's more esay to learn/heard/read other languages
greetings :D

poli March 26, 2008 11:00 AM

Estoy de acuerdo contigo, Sosia. Aprender un nuevo idioma es una ventana a una otra cultura. Puede ofrecer un otro modo de pensamiento.
Hay cosas que no puede decir en inglés que se puede decir en español y
vice versa. Es un buen ejercicio para el cerebro tambien(encontrando una nueva ruta para llegar al mismo destino). Aprender otro idioma no es nada fácil. ¿Cual idioma escogería tú si tuviera que aprender otro idioma mas? Yo escogería algo parecido al español como italiano o portugués porque no quiero enfrentar la dificilidad de aprender mandarino
o ruso. Alemán que parece inglés no me atrae tampoco porque a mi me
parece feo.
Poli