Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Daily Spanish Word (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Abrelatas (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=3326)

DailyWord March 14, 2009 03:10 AM

Abrelatas

This is a discussion thread for the Daily Spanish Word for March 14, 2009

abrelatas - masculine noun (el) - can opener. Look up abrelatas in the dictionary

Si no tuvieras abrelatas, ¿cómo abrirías una lata?
If you didn't have a can opener, how would you open a can?

laepelba March 14, 2009 04:42 AM

Okay - I just had a flashback to my old studying-for-the-SAT's days. LOL!! When I saw the word "abrelatas" in the subject-line of the email this morning, I thought to myself "that must have something to do with opening something". Aha! I was so right. Prefixes, suffixes, word stems, AAAHHHHH!!! All of that stuff is starting (a little bit) to come together for me!!! YAY!!

Anyway - there IS a question that I have. :) Is there a way that the sentence could be written with the impersonal "se"? Something like "Si se no tengas abrelatas, ¿cómo se abre una lata?" - or would that ruin the conditional tense being used?

Rusty March 14, 2009 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 28692)
Is there a way that the sentence could be written with the impersonal "se"? Something like "Si se no tengas abrelatas, ¿cómo se abre una lata?" - or would that ruin the conditional tense being used?

It could be changed, and still keep the conditional tense, like so:

Si no se tuviera un abrelatas, ¿cómo se abriría una lata?

laepelba March 14, 2009 06:20 AM

Oh!!! That's even EASIER than what I did. :) So it's almost like saying "if one didn't have a can opener, how would one open a can?" Right?

chileno March 14, 2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laepelba (Post 28697)
Oh!!! That's even EASIER than what I did. :) So it's almost like saying "if one didn't have a can opener, how would one open a can?" Right?

Correct!

It aligns somewhat to English. Right? ;)

swizzard March 14, 2009 02:55 PM

So how consistent is this way of forming compound spanish words? I know sacapuntas (pencil-sharpener/"makes-points"), parabrisas (windshield[/-screen]/"stops-breezes"), and now this one. How many other '3rd-person singular present indicative + plural noun' compounds like this are there?

Rusty March 14, 2009 07:19 PM

Welcome to the forums!!

Compound nouns (sustantivos compuestos) number into the hundreds.

Most are masculine singular nouns, despite the fact that they all end in an 's'. To make the plural form, you just change the article from el to los.
There are occasions when a compound noun refers to a female and it takes a femenine article, like jchen would be una calientalibros (a bookworm).

Look here for a list of about 170 compound nouns. Portaequipajes (trunk) isn't listed. Neither is abrecartas (letter opener) or buscapiés (firecracker), so you'll have to find other lists to get a bigger sampling.

laepelba March 14, 2009 07:44 PM

¿comó "trabalenguas"? ¿Significa "locked tongue" literalmente?

Rusty March 14, 2009 08:10 PM

There are a lot of meanings for trabar, but I think it's loosely translated as 'something that holds back (impedes the movement of) the tongue'.
Trabarse actually means to get jammed, or stuck. Se me traba la lengua. = I get tongue-tied.

CrOtALiTo March 15, 2009 01:29 AM

I bid you welcome awizzard.

I recommend you that yourself create your own introduce thread about you.

Sincerely yours.