Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Idioms & Sayings (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Donde pone el ojo, pone la bala (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=7981)

ROBINDESBOIS May 21, 2010 09:27 AM

Donde pone el ojo, pone la bala

It is an expression about someone who always keep focused on a goal and don't stop till have/get it.
In English?

poli May 21, 2010 10:56 AM

Keep your eye on the ball.

Elaina May 21, 2010 01:26 PM

to always be goal oriented....

But somehow I feel like that saying also means something else....
like to guess at something and be correct...or to have a prediction come out right....

-to be right on the money....

I may be wrong..

JPablo May 21, 2010 09:03 PM

"Where he sets his sight, he puts the bullet." This comes from the great Western gunmen who were excellent shots. I.e., it has its literal meaning, which then extrapolates to "accomplish the objective you set up to accomplish". Somebody wants to buy a car... looks over different models, but he "has put his eye on one specific one"... and finally buys that one... One wants to go out with some specific girl... and ends up marrying her... One wants to get a specific job position, and he does whatever needed to achieve it, and he is successful in doing so. Normally, it has the connotation that it is “fast”, i.e., the intention to get there without delays and getting your objective accomplished “fast like a bullet”, “right on target” “right on the money”.

To "be right on the money" means generally to do something without flaw, absolutely correctly, and without even the slightest error. This idea goes with the precision of being able to place the bullet exactly where you put your "eye" (your sight).
“Keep your eye on the ball” gives me a slightly different idea, more of a connotation of “keep focused”, as an advice, and also being more careful. I would say,
“Rafa Nadal es el mejor tenista de la historia en tierra batida: donde pone el ojo, pone la bala... aunque ahora tiene que andarse con cuidado (keep his eye on the ball) en Roland Garros. The expression “donde pone el ojo, pone la bala” gives more this idea of absolute certainty and ability to achieve one’s goals and objectives. (Like Kobe and Pau Gasol... where they put their sight, they put the :basketball:) :)

Rusty May 21, 2010 09:53 PM

"To set one's sights on" might serve as a good translation. This means 'to have as a goal'. Does that work?

ROBINDESBOIS May 23, 2010 05:28 AM

Sorry guys, nothing convinces me at all !

What about "he´s a real go-getter" or sth like that.
someone who is determined to succeed and who works hard to achieve this. You can describe someone like this as go-getting
She has a reputation as a real go-getter.

a go-getting young business executive

JPablo May 23, 2010 06:07 AM

Well, maybe we need a bit of context, to get a better idea. :thinking: What is the context for your expression?
The literal translation is "where he puts the eye he puts the bullet." It can be used in conjunction with Ya le eché el ojo. I already set my eye on that.

It can be used as an expression that you always get what you had set your eye or mind on. I got this house I always wanted, it took some patience and saving but I got it because you know me "donde pongo el ojo pongo la bala".

A possible idea could be "wherever he sets his mind to a task/purpose/aim/objective, he always achieves the desired result" He is a "go-getter" "a driven person" could be another possibility.
You could also go with something like "he is the 'utmost' good shot in the West", "he's got perfect marksmanship" "he's deadeye". "He is always on target" (meeting his expectations).
Hey, Robindesbois! :idea: He is like you! Able to split an arrow that was already right on target, with another arrow! :duh: He is a real Robin Hood! ;)

Yeah, I was writing this answer while you put your additional post. I think that will work!

ROBINDESBOIS May 25, 2010 10:58 AM

COntext
Es un tío que donde pone el ojo la bala
consigue todo lo que quiere

JPablo May 26, 2010 03:09 AM

Yeah, I think your "go-getter" works just fine and dandy here.
He is such a 'go-getter' (such a driven guy), he always achieves what he wants.
Also, even if you lose a bit of the "color" of the original Spanish, you could try with something like,
He is a so entreprising and effective guy, that he always gets what he wants to get.
He is a guy always right on the money, he always hits the bullseye.
Or, he is always on target and gets what he wants... :)