Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Grammar (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What exactly is she saying?? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=9565)

hola November 20, 2010 03:13 PM

What exactly is she saying??

pero jajajaja me haces gracia....no logro q me entiendas jajajaja

pjt33 November 20, 2010 03:35 PM

But hahaha I find you funny ... I can't make you understand me hahaha

aleCcowaN November 20, 2010 04:09 PM

me haces gracia = you make me laugh / you say funny (amusing) things

it's a funny (amusing) situation, like a comedy of errors but not with funny mistaken identities but with funny misunderstandings of language.

hola November 20, 2010 05:27 PM

anyone know, or can anyone tell me y she didn't say me haces reir or eres comica or no te puedo hacer entenderme or dices cosas comicas?? anyone in the world know y she didn't use any of my suggestions? would she have been wrong had she used any of my suggestions???

CrOtALiTo November 23, 2010 02:46 PM

It's the same, you can't make me understand.

I don't achieved you understand me.

ChilenoAlemanCanada November 23, 2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hola (Post 100169)
anyone know, or can anyone tell me y she didn't say me haces reir or eres comica or no te puedo hacer entenderme or dices cosas comicas?? anyone in the world know y she didn't use any of my suggestions? would she have been wrong had she used any of my suggestions???

All of those seem good to me, it's probably like how in English we say things like "You crack me up". It's not like saying "You make me laugh" would be wrong, it's just another way of saying the same thing.

Rusty November 23, 2010 03:50 PM

Exactly, there's more than one way to say a lot of things. That's one of the nice things about language. You can add some flare with a twist of phrase.

AngelicaDeAlquezar November 23, 2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hola (Post 100169)

I can't tell why she didn't choose another way to say things, but of course all languages are flexible enough as to say the same things with different words, and there are often nuances on meanings.

About your proposals:

Me haces reír (you make me laugh): I feel "me haces gracia" closer to "me haces sonreír" (you make me smile), so "me haces reír" would be a little stronger, which some persons might find a little unkind in this context.

Eres comica: She would have said "eres cómico", but that might be felt a little rude.

Dices cosas cómicas: She wasn't talking about what you were saying, but rather about the situation.

No te puedo hacer entenderme: I can't say it's wrong, but it sounds awkward. It would sound better as "No puedo hacerte entenderme", but it's not euphonic either.
Infinitives (like "entenderme") in this kind of sentences are used when the person about whom both verbs talk is the same; subjunctive sounds better if the person is different: in this case, "no puedo" is referred to one person (yo) and "hacerte" is for another (tú), so subjunctive is the best choice.
"No puedo hacer que me entiendas" would be the best sentence.

"Poder hacer" and "lograr" in this case, are synonyms, so both sentences would be the same.