Spanish language learning forums

Spanish language learning forums (http://forums.tomisimo.org/index.php)
-   Vocabulary (http://forums.tomisimo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Una lectora? (http://forums.tomisimo.org/showthread.php?t=2921)

laepelba January 27, 2009 04:56 AM

Una lectora?

How would I say that I am a slow reader? I mean that when I sit down to read a book (to myself), I read very slowly. The word "lectora" comes up when I look in the dictionary. But that makes it sound like I'm reading out loud to a group.

I know that I could say "Yo leo lentamente." (correct?)

But is there a noun for "reader" that indicates reading (to myself) and not giving an oration? Or is it simply "Estoy una lectora lenta."

Muchas gracias!

poli January 27, 2009 06:08 AM

In Spanish, the word for reader is a lector/lectora. In English we use the word lectern which ,as you know, is a device used by public speakers, and that may have confused you.

laepelba January 27, 2009 01:41 PM

Thanks, Poli!

CrOtALiTo January 27, 2009 02:32 PM

You can use our usage that there is very used commonly in our country, then if you can say, I read slowly a book, this could be translate so ( Leo lentamete un libro), ( Leo demasiado despacio el libro).

Greetings.

laepelba January 27, 2009 02:40 PM

Yes, thank you, Luis. And I know that construction well. It's one of the first things that they teach new Spanish learners (in my experience) - leer, leo, lee, leyendo, etc. It's a word that's used a lot. And it makes a lot of sense to say that "Leo lentamente." But for some reason, to say that "I am a slow reader" FEELS more DESCRIPTIVE. (Does that make any sense at all?? Or only to me....?) ;)

CrOtALiTo January 27, 2009 03:05 PM

Yes, it's make sence descriptive for you, you are a slow reader.

sosia January 28, 2009 01:24 AM

"soy una lectora lenta" is perflectly understandable. Other way "Yo leo lentamente".
But if you say "me gusta leer detalladamente/soy una lectora muy detallista" (I'm a carefull reader :D) will be more funny.
saludos :D

laepelba January 28, 2009 05:06 AM

Funny? Really? In fact, it is quite accurate. I am a mathematician (by training AND by nature) and I can't do ANYTHING without being sooooo analytical. Including reading. Even fun novels. I read every single detail and stop and think about everything. So to say "Me gusta leer detallademente" or "Soy una lectora muy detallista" would be very accurate statements. But would those statements make my listeners laugh??

poli January 28, 2009 05:49 AM

Trust what he says, because he's a native speaker. If you like to pay attention to the details when you read, perhaps you can say this: Leo lentamente. Me gusta hacer caso a los detailles.

sosia January 28, 2009 05:57 AM

It's funny because it is a not-expected sentence, but you can say it without problem.
If somebody say: "Good morning!", is "expected" to hear as a reply "Good morning!"
If you say "It's a very good morning indeed!" It will be true, and gramatically ok, but more funny. You make the other person think (two-seconds-delay).
You can freely say "Me gusta leer detalladamente", but the other person will need two second more as usual to understand the sentence and reply.
Saludos :D
PD: If you're so, I recommend funny novels of Terry pratchett ("Discworld"). Most of the sentences have a pun.:wicked: