View Single Post
Old February 14, 2009, 09:48 PM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post

Same as the English version. I am not sure, but are all the bibles the King James's version?

Hernan.
Actually, no. There are many different English translations of the Bible. They were translated at different times for different audiences and for different purposes. The interesting thing is that they've also been taken from different manuscripts. The manuscripts available at the time the KJV was translated (in the 1600's I beleive) were not as OLD as some of the manuscripts that have been found more recently, so translations from the 1900's (like the New American Standard) could be considered to be more accurate. But some people prefer the language of the KJV....

I have been reading some on the different Spanish translations. My friends who speak Spanish are not catholic, and they tend to use the Reina Valera (1995), which is supposedly more like the King James ... and the original Reina Valera was translated BEFORE the King James. There is also La Biblia de las Américas, which I am told is often used by Latin Americans who are catholic (although I don't know this but 2nd or 3rd hand...)

Can you tell that I find literary criticism of the Bible to be extremely interesting?