Thread: American (USA)
View Single Post
Old March 31, 2009, 10:28 AM
Diamond

Native Language: American English (Northeastern US)
laepelba is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chileno View Post
I have a couple of questions. And a lot of people have problems with them.

"I live in America, and what is more, I became an American citizen not too long ago. Therefore, I am an American."

Does anybody disagree with these statements?

And why?

Do not be shy, please!
Are you asking about the use of the word "America" to represent the "USA"? Or are you talking about the use of the word "citizen" to describe a "naturalized citizen"?

If the first, unfortunately, I have no issue with it. It's a context thing. In this context, and given what I already know about you, I know that you're talking about the USA and not "the Americas" in general. If someone wants to clarify, they may do so in context. We talk about context a lot here, and so I think it is nothing more than a context question. If someone is offended by the use of the term "American" to refer to someone in the USA, I think that their issue is not this term, but the fact that so many Americans (!!) are so often so ego-centrically offensive.

If the second ... I LOVE that there are more and more naturalized citizens. it's WHO and WHAT this wonderful country is all about. I take a HUGE issue with those who want to keep the USA looking all white and Anglo-like. We're built on the principles of the "melting pot" and in this global society, that means that there will be lots and lots of races and colors and creeds coming together.

CONGRATULATIONS, by the way!!