Thread: [Other] Japanese
View Single Post
Old August 23, 2009, 02:16 AM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpanadaRica View Post

What made you decide to start learning Japanese by the way?

I love their culture since childhood. And i like a lot their anime and literature. Music too.

So, noticeably 'masu' is often said at the end of a word. Do you know what it means, or is it a word that indicates politeness or a formal 'u' / 'usted' maybe?

It indicates politeness. You almost always finish your verbs with "masu", if not, is a too familiar conversation or badmanner. nomimasu - beber - drink
It has other meanings but at this moment is to difficult to explain.

Twice 'shi' , after konnitchiwa (good night). The word 'i ta' also seems to
reappear in these constructions. Can you tell us some more what 'i ta' and 'chi' mean if you can translate those characters to a corresponding word or concept?

konnichiwa is "Good Afternoon"

It's not a too logical language as others. Sentences aren't exact and depend alot of context. It's imposible to translate literary because you have always many options.
You can just find (this is an invented word) mikitse and mikitso and mikitsa and "kit" is nothing than 3 more letters. 'ita' is in alot of words that haven't any conection.

So the only big difference between thwese two is 't' instead of 'ta' and 'da' instead of 'te' ? So I suppose those words then signify the actual action that is taking place (Enjoy the meal, versus, I am going?). Or is that reasoning too simple and should other things be taken into consideration as well?

In this case maybe you can analice "tadaima" ('da' means something, very difficult to explain for me without examples, 'ima' means ahora-now) but you can't do that in all the words or at least it isn't to helpfull while learning. In spanish: carpeta and escopeta have "peta" and that doesn't mean anything especial. It's almost the same here.

So 't te' is about going I assume (twice in two constructions about going) and 'ta da' ?
Are te and ta opposite (as in 'away' and 'to' movements?).
Is there assimilation in Japanese? I.e. if you have 'da', 'te' becomes 'ta' as well, or is this not done?

No, they aren't opposite and. You have assimilation in all languages i think, but japanese is a little bit different to analice. You need to advanced a little more to see it. Maybe after I put here some dialogues.

That little tsu: "っ" means that you make like a pause when saying the next letter: "i..ttekimasu" I think you need to listen to understand correctly.
Examples:

い っ て き ま す
i t te ki ma su

ざ っ し (revista)
za s shi

Just phonetic.

I have tried french, portuguese and germán and you can understand almost all (maybe not to clear) at the beggining. But with Japanese you have to advanced with one eye for some time.
And i still have one eye close.

Can I ask you, what does your nickname mean? I assume it is Japanese too?

kami es dios
kami es cabello
kami es pelo
ookami es lobo -> wolf
Thanks for your participation. Sorry if I can't be of much help on those questions.