View Single Post
Old February 08, 2011, 03:05 PM
Emerald

Caballero is on a distinguished road
I'll help you learn to read it. Spanish is the easiest language to read for English speakers, or at least in the top 3. Because English has borrowed heavily from Latin, and Spanish evolved from Latin (at one time it was Latin, but has changed a lot over the years.) The part of the vocabulary that English that is borrowed from Latin is scientific, technical, and refined language. You can look up an article on the history of English if you want to find out why that is. So, what that means is that your vocabulary in Spanish is already in the thousands of words--you just don't realize it yet. This also means that you will be able to read certain things more easily than others in Spanish. It also means that you aren't stuck with just reading books for niñitos, which you would be for a long time if you were taking Chinese, or even German.

So, let's begin.
Go to www.wikipedia.org and select Español, read a few articles (without a dictionary or translator), and then come back here and tell me on a scale from 1-10 how easy it was to read the articles. Then I can get an idea of your level.