View Single Post
Old January 09, 2016, 08:45 AM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
In the case where the object pronoun is suffixed to a conjugated verb, that is merely a carryover from former times. You'll see it used in older writings and in poetry. Once in a while you'll even hear it used in speech, but suffixing an object pronoun to a conjugated verb is mostly out of style nowadays.

The 'se me cayó' construction is an example of 'accidental se' usage.
Instead of saying 'I dropped', the literal equivalent in Spanish is 'it dropped itself on me'. That 'on me' part can be translated a couple of different ways, but the whole idea is that it wasn't your fault. Something dropped and you were there to witness it (it happened "on your watch").
If you search for terms like 'accidental se' or 'no fault se', you'll get a good amount of hits where you can get more information.
The construction is 'se' + indirect object pronoun + third-person verb + subject.

The '-dor' or '-dora' ending means what you described. To find the meanings of these types of words, you'll almost always have to break the word down into the root component and look that up in the dictionary. Just like you'll hardly ever find all the conjugations of verbs in the dictionary, you have to know how to get back to the lexeme listed there.