View Single Post
Old September 22, 2017, 11:47 AM
poli's Avatar
poli poli is offline
rule 1: gravity
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: In and around New York
Posts: 7,487
Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
I've heard borrasca and temporal used for big storms too. Where I live nor'easter is a term for a big coastal cyclone that effects the north east of the United States. It comes in autumn and winter causing much wind and water damage. Tornados are local storms that are also horrible, and sometimes called twisters. I think in Spain they use the word siniestrado as well as damnificado. Incandescent fragments makes sense to me, but more often you may hear glowing ash. Instead of surge you will more likely hear the more specific storm surge. The older term tidal wave is hardly heard anymore. Temblor is used in English too. It's a technical term for any kind of earthquake. In place of mild earthquake, tremor, or even better, earth tremor is preferred, because the word tremor alone can refer to a medical symptom.
Me ayuda si corrige mis errores. Gracias.

Last edited by poli; September 22, 2017 at 11:58 AM.