Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Teaching & Learning > Teaching and Learning Techniques
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Best way to learn new vocab?

Teaching methodology, learning techniques, linguistics-- any of the various aspect of learning or teaching a foreign language.

Old January 29, 2011, 06:34 AM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Awaken is on a distinguished road
I guess all this depends on what level you are. If you are a beginner, I prefer using flashcards and SRS style. The reason is that your vocabulary is so limited that reading things becomes annoying as you have to look up every other word. Once you have a core vocabulary (1000-3000 words), it is much nicer to read the language and add to your vocabulary that way. Or force yourself to write in the new language which leads to looking up words and learning them as well. Or both.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old January 29, 2011, 09:23 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaken View Post
I guess all this depends on what level you are. If you are a beginner, I prefer using flashcards and SRS style. The reason is that your vocabulary is so limited that reading things becomes annoying as you have to look up every other word. Once you have a core vocabulary (1000-3000 words), it is much nicer to read the language and add to your vocabulary that way. Or force yourself to write in the new language which leads to looking up words and learning them as well. Or both.
That's exactly what I recommend, with the added benefit you let your wrists "recognize" the words and not only your eyes...
Old January 29, 2011, 11:11 AM
Ruby

Native Language: Dutch and English
Peter is on a distinguished road
I've got a sheet of A2 paper hanging on my bedroom wall on which I write down Spanish words (or combinations of words) I keep forgetting, and their meaning in large letters. Like this I'm confronted with these words almost daily. Every week or so I start a new list.

Some words currently on it:
disfrazarse de, perezoso, arrepentirse de, aprobar.

I'm also thinking of writing an app that randomly quizzes me from the words I've already learned..
Old January 29, 2011, 12:11 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I think that the best way to learn vocabulary is creating the necessity of words, I mean, everyday one can write down some experiences or feelings that one has had. In this way, one needs these words to explain his/her feelings or experiences. Looking words up in a dictionary and writing them in one's own sentence is a good exercise.
Old January 29, 2011, 05:16 PM
Diamond

Native Language: Castellano
chileno is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irmamar View Post
I think that the best way to learn vocabulary is creating the necessity of words, I mean, everyday one can write down some experiences or feelings that one has had. In this way, one needs these words to explain his/her feelings or experiences. Looking words up in a dictionary and writing them in one's own sentence is a good exercise.
Again, by reading a novel, especially about something that you really like, somebody else has been "creative" for you and a novel not only describes feeling or experiences but also situations, articles, clothing etc...

See what I mean?
Old March 19, 2011, 10:08 PM
Opal

spanishplease is on a distinguished road
Vocab

I used to think the best way to build my Spanish vocab was to create flash cards any time I saw a word I didn't understand... but all that really ended up happening was that I became really efficient at flashcard creating

I guess the best way to build your vocabulary is to read, read, and... read more. It's the same way you built your vocabulary in English (yeah... it takes time).

Flashcards do help I was exaggerating a little.

Good luck!

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: