Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Grammar
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Leche y manzanas

This is the place for questions about conjugations, verb tenses, adverbs, adjectives, word order, syntax and other grammar questions for English or Spanish.

Old August 07, 2014, 04:08 PM
Opal

Native Language: U.S. English
programador is on a distinguished road
I've been wondering what it's going to be like to understand 2 languages. I'm not sure what to expect.

I've read that it can make a person "smarter" in a way, because they are able to see things from different points-of-view (different cultures). They aren't as narrow minded with thinking or learning. It helps on pronunciation of words you don't know, and it activates parts of your brain that you hadn't used before.

I've have a cloud drive from Microsoft. On that drive I label all of my files and folders in Spanish. If I don't know the word, I look it up. Even for documents that have to be written in English. That causes me to start remembering the Spanish words. If I don't remember them, I won't be able to navigate my hard drive.

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old August 07, 2014, 06:06 PM
Emerald

Native Language: Español
Julvenzor is on a distinguished road
Hola, Programador:

Perdone por no haberle dado todavía la bienvenida. Se evidencia que ha comenzado con las pilas bien puestas; lo más saludable del mundo mientras no se convierta en una obsesión (todos los informáticos sois iguales...). Quizás, la diferencia fundamental entre estudiar un idioma artificial y uno natural radica en que todos los primeros están basados en mayor o menor medida en la lengua inglesa por el hecho trascendental de que ésta es el idioma franco internacional desde, diría, mediados del siglo XIX o comienzos del XX.

Eso sí, no le resta mérito; pues resulta tremendamente arduo. Hace varios años recibí clases de Perl en la facultad. ¡Qué cosa más fea! Le daré un consejo personal en referencia a su profesión: fíese poco o nada de las traducciones ofrecidas por distintas páginas webs: servicios en la nube (cloud services) o alojadores de archivos (file hostings).

Irónicamente, algo que descubrirá con el paso del tiempo es que lo aprendido le servirá más para entender y mejorar su compresión sobre el idiolecto propio que para la lengua extranjera.

Un saludo cordial.
Old August 07, 2014, 08:23 PM
Obsidiana

Native Language: Mexican Spanish
AngelicaDeAlquezar is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by programador View Post
I've been wondering what it's going to be like to understand 2 languages. I'm not sure what to expect.
If you ever reflected on how it was before and after you learnt to read, it's a similar feeling. Understanding Spanish will give you satisfaction, but as soon as you can express ideas and make conversations, you'll see every effort was worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by programador View Post
I've have a cloud drive from Microsoft. On that drive I label all of my files and folders in Spanish. If I don't know the word, I look it up. Even for documents that have to be written in English. That causes me to start remembering the Spanish words. If I don't remember them, I won't be able to navigate my hard drive.
If you can use social networks, your operating system or other programs in Spanish, you'll be starting to feel more comfortable with the way words look like in Spanish (just be aware that some messages and pieces of language used in dialog boxes aren't always well written, as Julvenzor already noticed).
Old August 07, 2014, 11:32 PM
Opal

Native Language: U.S. English
programador is on a distinguished road
It's going to take a lot of work. I've used Google Translator but I've already realized that it's not always that accurate.

It will take a lot of work, but I'm sure I will be able to learn the language. Hopefully, I will know enough to start writing my posts in Spanish in the future.

I know computer languages and human languages are different, but I still think I'm good with languages. I guess I'll find out if that's true as I progress.

I'm planning on sticking around here for a while, so we'll see how it goes.

Edit:
Have any of you used or heard about Rosetta Stone? That's what I'm using to help give me a start with Spanish. I've uploaded a short video to my YouTube channel of me using Rosetta Stone. It shows that I'm already able to understand some Spanish.

I'm interested in what you all have to say about it. Especially, the native speakers. What do you think about the things that Rosetta Stone is presenting me with?

I feel like I'm able to understand it without having to think. I'm pretty quick with my responses. I've only been using it for about a week or two so the things it's teaching me are still pretty basic. But it seems like I have a good understanding of what it wants.

My Video

Last edited by programador; August 07, 2014 at 11:43 PM.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: