Old September 13, 2010, 10:06 AM
rule 1: gravity

Native Language: English
poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
Only two percent? Maybe, but I'm in Manhattan where dogs far outnumber
children. Perhaps for that reason, the percentage seems more to me.
¿Solamente dos porciento? Tal vez, pero pero paso la mayoría de mi vida en Manhattan donde la población es mas grande que la población de niños. Por es el 2 porcentajo me parece bajo,

In times of high unemployment, weddings employ many. That's a practical argument in favor of gay marriage. By the way, divorce lawyers ought to love the idea of gay marriage ..not to mention marriage counselors.$$$$
En tiempos de alto desempleo las bodas emplean muchos. Eso is un argumento fuerte en favor del matrimonio gay. A proposito, los
abogados que especialicen en divorcio deben de estar en favor
de matrimonio gay tambien los consejeros del matrimonio.$$$$

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old September 13, 2010, 01:18 PM
Ruby

Tarential is on a distinguished road
I find it interesting that the majority of arguments against gay marriage are based on religion, and marriage being a "religious binding" instead of a "civil contract". The argument of course is that because Christianity is mostly anti-homosexual (I apologize to any Christians reading this who are more open minded) then homosexual marriages are either unrecognizable by the church or an act against God. Well, that is perfectly fine as far as it goes. I doubt we'll see many 'religious' marriages between same sex couples.

However, that being said, the institution of marriage far predates Christianity. There were marriage ceremonies in ancient Egypt, almost a thousand years before the first semblance of what we now consider Christianity existed. Marriage represents an understanding between two (*edit: two or more*) individuals and how they feel about each other. The marriage can be recognized by church, or state... or both, or neither. It is still a perfectly valid marriage to the two people involved.

So, I must take this reasoning one step further. The argument here is certainly not "Should the church recognize same sex marriages?" We all know, of course, that the church would not officially do so willingly (and I don't believe in trying to force them to accept it, either). The real question here is "Should the state recognize same sex marriages?" This takes the religious aspect completely out of it.

As far as that goes, I have yet to hear someone give a good reason that same sex marriages shouldn't be accepted by the state (remember the ideal is separation of church and state, even if it doesn't always happen, thus saying "The state should believe in God and abide by His decisions" isn't a valid argument). Someone earlier did mention that the rules for what benefits married couples get by state law should be changed, and that is again a separate issue from whether or not same sex marriages should be recognized, one I won't argue either way.

In summary, state acceptance of gay marriage cannot be logically argued against on religious grounds. Only religious acceptance of gay marriage can be argued as such. Take from this post what you will, because I don't intend to reply to any religious fanatics who jump down my throat for suggesting that marriage isn't a religious institution.

Last edited by Tarential; September 13, 2010 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Not limited to two people
Old September 13, 2010, 06:32 PM
Pearl

Native Language: American English
Chris is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ookami View Post
"But maybe only 0.02% of people are that way"
The comma may be throwing him off. In English we use a period to denote decimals. In money.. $12.32 which is Twelve Dollars and Thirty-Two cents. In percentage... 12.32% which is Twelve point Thirty-Two percent.

But maybe only point oh two percent of people are that way.

Not really sure how to spell OH heh but that's the way I would say it instead of point zero two, but that would be correct too.
Old September 13, 2010, 07:54 PM
Ruby

Tarential is on a distinguished road
Nitpicking here, but while: ".02" would be a correct way of representing two percent (though incomplete, as it could also simply mean the number 'two hundredths'), using ".02%" is incorrect. Why? "Percent" is "per 100" (cent is french for 100). So, it would be stating "0.02 for each 100" or "0.02 / 100" which is 0.0002 as you can see.

So, 2% = .02, and .02% = .0002.

You'll probably be understood by laymen if you write "only .02% of people" as they probably wouldn't think in terms of fractions of a percent. To anyone who has taken a few extra math or physics courses there is going to be a world of difference, however. Almost like the difference between writing "0.02000" and "0.02". To most people they'll be the same thing (look up significant figures if you are unsure of why I differentiate).
Old September 13, 2010, 10:57 PM
Diamond

Native Language: I can understand Spanish and English
CrOtALiTo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarential View Post
I find it interesting that the majority of arguments against gay marriage are based on religion, and marriage being a "religious binding" instead of a "civil contract". The argument of course is that because Christianity is mostly anti-homosexual (I apologize to any Christians reading this who are more open minded) then homosexual marriages are either unrecognizable by the church or an act against God. Well, that is perfectly fine as far as it goes. I doubt we'll see many 'religious' marriages between same sex couples.

However, that being said, the institution of marriage far predates Christianity. There were marriage ceremonies in ancient Egypt, almost a thousand years before the first semblance of what we now consider Christianity existed. Marriage represents an understanding between two (*edit: two or more*) individuals and how they feel about each other. The marriage can be recognized by church, or state... or both, or neither. It is still a perfectly valid marriage to the two people involved.

So, I must take this reasoning one step further. The argument here is certainly not "Should the church recognize same sex marriages?" We all know, of course, that the church would not officially do so willingly (and I don't believe in trying to force them to accept it, either). The real question here is "Should the state recognize same sex marriages?" This takes the religious aspect completely out of it.

As far as that goes, I have yet to hear someone give a good reason that same sex marriages shouldn't be accepted by the state (remember the ideal is separation of church and state, even if it doesn't always happen, thus saying "The state should believe in God and abide by His decisions" isn't a valid argument). Someone earlier did mention that the rules for what benefits married couples get by state law should be changed, and that is again a separate issue from whether or not same sex marriages should be recognized, one I won't argue either way.

In summary, state acceptance of gay marriage cannot be logically argued against on religious grounds. Only religious acceptance of gay marriage can be argued as such. Take from this post what you will, because I don't intend to reply to any religious fanatics who jump down my throat for suggesting that marriage isn't a religious institution.
What's up Tanrential.

In this moment I read your commentary about the gay marriage, and I agree with your investigation, because likely the people is inclined for the religion and doesn't think about the feeling of the other, for example if the church says the gay marriage is the worst in the world, then the people believe in the divine word of the father and well I respect all the religions, but I'm not agree with the decision of the church and much less of the people.

I believe that everyone have the right of live as they want it.

Nor the religion and the society ought opine about the life of other.
Old September 14, 2010, 01:24 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
I agree with Tarential 100%.

Ookami, what I didn't understand was "that way". Which way?
Old September 14, 2010, 02:57 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Inglés
Perikles is on a distinguished road
I'm guessing that this is the ratio of homosexual to heterosexual marriages. There are various obscure methods of referring to homosexuality, one of which is 'that way' (I think)
Old September 14, 2010, 03:09 AM
Diamond

Native Language: Español
irmamar is on a distinguished road
OK, I didn't know it. Thanks.
Old September 14, 2010, 06:07 AM
rule 1: gravity

poli will become famous soon enoughpoli will become famous soon enough
En los fines de los años cincuenta y todos los años seisenta en EEUU había el moviemiento en favor de derechos civiles. En aquellos años era prohibido que una persona negra se casa con gente blanca en muchos
estados incluyendo California. El cantante moreno Sammy Davis JR intentó casarse con rubia Mae Brit en California y eso causó un gran polémica.Había un comentadora que dijo si permite eso próximo van a permitir matrimonio entre gente y símeos.

El otro día oí el mismo comentario usado contra el caso del matrimonio gay. Es una pregunta de la polítca y gente que busca libertad para todos contra otros que buscan libertad para algunos y opresión contra lo demás.
Yo sé cual lado favoresco.

PS
Is my use of lo demás correct, or should I use los demás.

At the end of the 1950"s and into the 1960's we had the civil rights
movement in the United States. Prior to 1964, in may states (California included) it was prohibited for black people to marry whites. There was a famous black singer named Sammy Davis JR who tried to marry white actess Mae Brit in California. This caused quite a stir. There was a commentator who said if they permit this, next thing they'll allow marriage between humans and apes.

The other day I heard a commentary with the same logic against gay marriage. This is really a question of politics, and those who seek freedom for everyone against those who want freedom for some and opression against the rest. I know what side I'm on.
Old September 14, 2010, 01:26 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: Español(Argentina)
ookami is on a distinguished road
... jajaja, nada que ver... Se nota que no leyeron el post atentamente. En esa respuesta ni siquiera me estaba refiriendo a los homosexuales, si no que comentaba el comentario de Elaina. Solo 0,02 personas sobre 100 (hiperbole) son de las que saben discutir y no intentan convencer o tener la razón como si de una competencia se tratara y si no la tienen, les tiemblan los simientos de sus ideales. A eso me refería.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: