Ask a Question

(Create a thread)
Go Back   Spanish language learning forums > Spanish & English Languages > Practice & Homework
Register Help/FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search PenpalsTranslator

Sir Señor's first basic sentences

Practice Spanish or English here. All replies to a thread should be in the same language as the first post.

Old December 29, 2012, 07:48 PM
Opal

Native Language: English
Sir Senor is on a distinguished road
Sir Señor's first basic sentences

I have been learning Spanish for about two weeks now, I am just understanding the basics of some Spanish at the moment, so have decided to construct some sentences with no use of Google translate and to see if they make sense. I think this is the correct forum to post the thread, sorry if it's not.

Lo siento pero no es necesario para mi ahora - I'm sorry but it is not necessary for me now.

No es aceptable para mi asi - It is not acceptable for me that way.

Quiero comer ahora - I want to eat now.

Tengo hambre ahora - I am hungry now.

Queiro comer algo ahora por que tengo ambre - I want to eat something now because I am hungry.

Queiro hacer asi - I want to do it that way.

Queiro hacer asi por que al contrario asi no es aceptable para mi - I want to do it that way because on the contrary that way is not acceptable for me.

Asi es muy bueno - That way is very good.

Hablo Ingles y hablo Castellano, mi Ingles es muy bueno pero mi Castellano no es muy bueno - I speak English and I speak Spanish, my English is very good but my Spanish is not very good.

Entiendo Castellano y hablo un poco Castellano - I understand Spanish and I speak a little Spanish.

Lo siento pero no lo tengo ahora - I'm sorry but I don't have it now.

Por favor es urgente para mi - Please, it is urgent for me.

Do these make sense?

Get rid of these ads by registering for a free Tomísimo account.
Old December 29, 2012, 08:42 PM
Sapphire

Native Language: US English
wrholt is on a distinguished road
Nice job, especially with only 2 weeks of study. You are missing all of the accent marks on words that require them, of course, and it's easy enough to write them when editing posts in this forum. I've marked those words with no other comment.

There are also a couple of cases of incorrect use of uppercase letters: the rules regarding which words are written with uppercase letters and which are written with lowercase letters are different in English and Spanish. I've marked the first letter of those words.

Anything else I've marked (and commented).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Senor View Post
I have been learning Spanish for about two weeks now, I am just understanding the basics of some Spanish at the moment, so have decided to construct some sentences with no use of Google translate and to see if they make sense. I think this is the correct forum to post the thread, sorry if it's not.

Lo siento pero no es necesario para mi ahora - I'm sorry but it is not necessary for me now.

No es aceptable para mi asi - It is not acceptable for me that way.

Quiero comer ahora - I want to eat now.

Tengo hambre ahora - I am hungry now.

Queiro comer algo ahora por que ("Por que" as two words means "for which", not "because". "porque" as one word means "because".) tengo ambre - I want to eat something now because I am hungry.

Queiro hacer*** (missing object pronoun)asi - I want to do it that way.

Queiro hacer*** (missing object pronoun) asi por que al (preposition is not required, although the article is) contrario asi (unnecessary) no es aceptable para mi - I want to do it that way because on the contrary that way is not acceptable for me.

Asi es muy bueno - That way is very good.

Hablo Ingles y hablo Castellano, mi Ingles es muy bueno pero mi Castellano no es muy bueno - I speak English and I speak Spanish, my English is very good but my Spanish is not very good.

Entiendo Castellano y hablo un poco *** (missing preposition) Castellano - I understand Spanish and I speak a little Spanish.

Lo siento pero no lo tengo ahora - I'm sorry but I don't have it now.

Por favor es urgente para mi - Please, it is urgent for me.

Do these make sense?
If you have any questions about anything I've marked, please ask!
Old December 29, 2012, 09:17 PM
Señor Speedy

Native Language: American English
Rusty has a spectacular aura aboutRusty has a spectacular aura about
In addition to the corrections already given, here are a couple more that weren't mentioned.
The first time you used 'quiero', it was correctly spelled. Thereafter, no.
You correctly spelled 'hambre' in the fourth sentence, but not in the fifth.
None of your Spanish sentences ends in a period, but all the translations do. The punctuation should match.
There's no comma in the last sentence, but the English translation contains one. The punctuation should match.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:56 PM
Opal

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrholt View Post
Nice job, especially with only 2 weeks of study. You are missing all of the accent marks on words that require them, of course, and it's easy enough to write them when editing posts in this forum. I've marked those words with no other comment.

There are also a couple of cases of incorrect use of uppercase letters: the rules regarding which words are written with uppercase letters and which are written with lowercase letters are different in English and Spanish. I've marked the first letter of those words.

Anything else I've marked (and commented).

If you have any questions about anything I've marked, please ask!
Thank you very much I didn't attempt to get the accent marks correct as I don't know them and haven't learned them yet as I'm learning predominantly by audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
In addition to the corrections already given, here are a couple more that weren't mentioned.
The first time you used 'quiero', it was correctly spelled. Thereafter, no.
You correctly spelled 'hambre' in the fourth sentence, but not in the fifth.
None of your Spanish sentences ends in a period, but all the translations do. The punctuation should match.
There's no comma in the last sentence, but the English translation contains one. The punctuation should match.

I realised after I'd posted I had spelled 'quiero' wrong after the first time but chose not to edit, didn't want to cheat. Same with 'hambre'.

Apologies for the punctuation, I will remember to keep it the same as in English.

Thank you
Old December 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
Sapphire

Thank goodness for Rusty's sharp eyes for spotting what I missed.

Quote:
Thank you very much I didn't attempt to get the accent marks correct as I don't know them and haven't learned them yet as I'm learning predominantly by audio.
I surmised that you didn't know them yet; after all, you said it's been only two weeks. It's also true that in informal contexts (casual text messages and notes, shopping lists) many native speakers leave them out, as what matters is that the reader understands the message and not that the message be written "correctly".

However, the rules for when and how to use "accent" marks and other special characters (á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, and ñ, as well as ¡, ¿, « and ») are relatively straightforward. I recommend taking the time to learn about them sooner rather than later, and I also recommend disciplining yourself to apply them sooner rather than later. If you ever plan to use Spanish in any academic, legal or business context, failure to write them may have negative consequences.

A few threads in this forum answer questions related to accent marks and other special characters, and most language-learning texts cover these topics at some point, too. We're also happy to answer any questions you might have about these topics.
Old December 31, 2012, 12:40 PM
Opal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrholt View Post
Thank goodness for Rusty's sharp eyes for spotting what I missed.

I surmised that you didn't know them yet; after all, you said it's been only two weeks. It's also true that in informal contexts (casual text messages and notes, shopping lists) many native speakers leave them out, as what matters is that the reader understands the message and not that the message be written "correctly".

However, the rules for when and how to use "accent" marks and other special characters (á, é, í, ó, ú, ü, and ñ, as well as ¡, ¿, « and ») are relatively straightforward. I recommend taking the time to learn about them sooner rather than later, and I also recommend disciplining yourself to apply them sooner rather than later. If you ever plan to use Spanish in any academic, legal or business context, failure to write them may have negative consequences.

A few threads in this forum answer questions related to accent marks and other special characters, and most language-learning texts cover these topics at some point, too. We're also happy to answer any questions you might have about these topics.
Thanks wrholt. Any suggestion where to look for the threads on accent marks?
Old December 31, 2012, 01:50 PM
Sapphire

Quote:
Thanks wrholt. Any suggestion where to look for the threads on accent marks?
You can try searching the forums for keywords by using the search box in the banner area at the top of any page in Tomisimo. Type your keywords in the first box, then select what area to search in the drop down list ("forums" is one of the areas you can select), then click the search button (the one that looks like a stylized magnifying glass).

I used this method to search on "accent rules", and checked a couple of the threads to find this thread, where a different forum participant suggests looking here or here. There may be other relevant threads if you wish to start searching for them.

Link to this thread
URL: 
HTML Link: 
BB Code: